Metal Storm logo
Firefly

05.05.2007 - 06:01
Susan
Smeghead
Any fans of Firefly here? It's wonderful but short-lived American Sci-Fi TV series. They completed only one season before the show was canceled but they wrapped up the story with the movie "Serenity."

I never saw the show while it was on but we recently got introduced through the DVDs of the episodes and then the movie. It's freaking brilliant!! Such a unique take on sci-fi, such unique comedy and great writing (once you get used to it, that is!)

I love the episode where Mal and crew meet Safron again; during a heist he meets another one of her husbands. My favourite quote is probably when she says "This is my husband" and Mal says, "Well who in the universe ain't?!?!?!" or something like that
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.05.2007 - 18:21
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Susan on 05.05.2007 at 06:01

Any fans of Firefly here? It's wonderful but short-lived American Sci-Fi TV series. They completed only one season before the show was canceled but they wrapped up the story with the movie "Serenity."

I never saw the show while it was on but we recently got introduced through the DVDs of the episodes and then the movie. It's freaking brilliant!! Such a unique take on sci-fi, such unique comedy and great writing (once you get used to it, that is!)

I love the episode where Mal and crew meet Safron again; during a heist he meets another one of her husbands. My favourite quote is probably when she says "This is my husband" and Mal says, "Well who in the universe ain't?!?!?!" or something like that

Yeah I've seen this show, I won't say that I'm super familiar with it, but I have some friends who are obsessed with the movie "Serinity" and yeah I won't deny it's pretty kick ass, so inherently they got into Firefly, which is pretty kick ass as well. I've even played the Serinity RPG (man I'm such a nerd ) Oh well, such is the fate of a Metal Head! Now Off to the RPG Topic!
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
07.05.2007 - 19:16
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
I do not own the Dvds but I have 2 fiends who do and thus have seen all of the episodes more than once.

My favorite episode is Heart of Gold, the episode where the crew defend a brothel on one of the outer planets.

My least favorite episode is Jaynestown where they returnn to Jayne's home planet and visit his town to find out he was some big hero there, before he became a merc.

as for the rpg for serenity it really sucked. I think the reason is serenity is the same as all of Joss Whedon's other series, it is not the world which makes it interesting, it is the interaction of the characters and their dialogue which do.
07.05.2007 - 21:35
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Great show, I would also really recommend against watching the film before the show itself, since without the preliminary long introduction tot he characters, its not as strong a film.

I love the idea of having a western in space - Cowboy Bebop might have done it first but Firefly IMO did it better...
08.05.2007 - 03:17
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
It's a shame this show was cancelled, it looked like it had some great potential.
I agree in the thought that it was like Cowboy Bebop but i got the feeling that that wasn't what inspired him to make firefly.
Whedon's kind of comedy kind of appeals to me also.
08.05.2007 - 15:32
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
I remember seeing somewhere that fans were trying to gather funds to pay for a second season. Can anyone else shed some light on that?
----
08.05.2007 - 19:32
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Guest on 07.05.2007 at 19:16

I think the reason is serenity is the same as all of Joss Whedon's other series, it is not the world which makes it interesting, it is the interaction of the characters and their dialogue which do.

OTHER SERIES' ?!?!!?

Do tell me what his other series' are! I'd be interested in checking out his writing in a different context. Thanks!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
09.05.2007 - 03:38
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Joss Whedon wrote the TV adaption of Buffy and its spin-off, Angel. I think he did a couple of other semi-famous ones, but those are his most memorable.
----
09.05.2007 - 03:41
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Susan on 08.05.2007 at 19:32

Written by Guest on 07.05.2007 at 19:16

I think the reason is serenity is the same as all of Joss Whedon's other series, it is not the world which makes it interesting, it is the interaction of the characters and their dialogue which do.

OTHER SERIES' ?!?!!?

Do tell me what his other series' are! I'd be interested in checking out his writing in a different context. Thanks!

Other Josh Whedon series would be shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Buffy was a great show untill the last few seasons, then it did the same thing conan and Xina did, they got too danm silly. Angel was good but short lived however, sometimes that's best I guess. :
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
09.05.2007 - 03:48
Susan
Smeghead
Oh. Well I didn't watch too much of either show but I wasn't a fan of Buffy at all (Angel was OK, I think I saw one episode). Mostly it was bad acting IMO that did them in, I didn't notice the script much. Maybe it takes time for them to grow on you? I know it took me a little while to appreciate the humor in Firefly. Oh well, I hope he tries again
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
10.05.2007 - 04:22
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I own two sets of the DVDs. One for me to lend out and the other for my very own...no one dare touches it. This is hands down my favorite Sci-Fi show. Second all time favorite TV show, right after The Shield.

Now here is something interesting for all you fellow Browncoats. Joss wtore the movie Toy Story. Who were the two main characters in that film?
----
(space for rent)
11.05.2007 - 19:21
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
Toy Story? The kids CG movie? Wow I had no clue he wrote that. but the 2 main characters in that movie (if it is the movie you are talking about) was Woody; a cowboy doll, and Buzz Lightyear, a popular toy space ranger)
Well I checked on IMDB and what you said checks out, he wrote the screenplay.
11.05.2007 - 22:42
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Guest on 11.05.2007 at 19:21

Toy Story? The kids CG movie? Wow I had no clue he wrote that. but the 2 main characters in that movie (if it is the movie you are talking about) was Woody; a cowboy doll, and Buzz Lightyear, a popular toy space ranger)
Well I checked on IMDB and what you said checks out, he wrote the screenplay.

Think about it, a cowboy and a spaceman? Sounds a bit like Mal, eh?
----
(space for rent)
12.05.2007 - 20:59
Dark Stalker

I have watched mission Serenity and two episodes . I have all episodes on DVD . It is great mix of Wild West and sci-fi universes . So , consider me a fan;D
----
In luck we trust!
15.05.2007 - 10:37
Eight
Shapeshifter
Watched it not so long ago, was really amaized by it, going to re watch it starting today. The episode when their old war comrade, Tracey mailed his corpse to them was fun, specially when Zoe was telling Tracey bout stealth in combat and Mal appeared
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
17.05.2007 - 21:01
Gwyllgi
Account deleted
YES, it's one of my favourite shows! Awesome show... I have "Serenity" too but I haven't watched it yet because I want to watch all the episodes first... and I've been pacing myself with the eps for quite a while... heh

"Safe" is one of my favourite eps to be sure... I love Simon the best

Hey, but Arian Totalis, nerds rule! XD
21.05.2007 - 17:18
Eight
Shapeshifter
Written by Guest on 17.05.2007 at 21:01

Hey, but Arian Totalis, nerds rule! XD

Amen!
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
31.05.2007 - 06:48
Nathan Lurker

Nathan Fillion has something to do with the greatness of this show. Watch him in the movie "Slither". He's just awesome.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
31.05.2007 - 12:43
Secret Face
Account deleted
one of my favourite Sci-Fi series
It's sad that this show was cancelled
20.02.2011 - 00:29
wrathchild

Finally watched it, and ended my tv day with the movie. Definitely a disappointment since I was excepecting too much, reason being all the excitement about it, but a nice show nevertheless and I must say the movie raised my final interest in the whole thing. Now it seems I have to read the comic to find out about the blue handed men.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
20.02.2011 - 07:56
whatsacow

It's my favourite sci fi show of all time. The characters are well realised, the writing is top notch, most of the acting is decent (well, compared to other sci fi shows...) and the story was great. It would have been better if the story had have spanned four or five seasons, but the movie was ok.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
24.02.2011 - 19:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Discovery - science channel is picking this up starting next month.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!