Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards - Voting Is Closed

All that build-up, all that preparation, and once again the month of February seemed to fly right by (being the shortest month, it's probably entitled to do that). We hate to see the Awards go after such a fleeting adventure, but this is what the whole shebang leads up to: determining the champions of the year's metal offering.

It's quite common that we get one album nominated for everything (by the way, uh, don't do that). Last year, it was Death Grips's Bottomless Pit (first of all, she doesn't even go here); this year, it was Igorrr's Savage Sinusoid, an album that, if nothing else, is actually featured on Metal Storm. Now, Savage Sinusoid is a great album - some would say an exceptional album - some would say a wicked pissah album, but they all live in Boston - but no album can be the best in EVERY category, and if it were, we'd put it in Avant-Garde and call it a day. Our other contender for "Unseemly MSA Perpetrator of the Year" goes to the knobhead who wrote in a trap album for every category. Please learn to read.

Moving right along, as always, y'all could have predicted the winners in most categories within the first five minutes. Gothic was pretty close, Ex Prog was neck-and-neck for a while, and Power had enough big names to make pretend competition, but Alternative, Death, Heavy, and others fell to comfortable leads. Thrash got annihilated, as expected, and poor Extreme Doom never stood a chance, even with the success of last year's #AddSpectralVoice2017 campaign. You guys can be viciously decisive sometimes. One of these days, we're just going to give Septicflesh the "Permanent Victors of Symphonic Metal Forever" award and move along. Biggest Letdown was almost interesting: we had Ensiferum, Arch Enemy, and Anathema, three titanic presences of sadly dwindling report, all vying for the lead - or second place, rather. You'll remember why once you see who won. They might be nothing more than a big inside joke at this point, but? we'll have to let you guys have it this time. It's a genuine homespun tradition.

Speaking of Arch Enemy? color us shocked, because our prediction turned out to be embarrassingly incorrect. What was seemingly the unquestioned biggest contender in Melodeath (a category that gets brutally swept up every year) has, in fact, been overtaken. At the end of the day, it's still Mors Principium Est - it's not as though a serious underdog like Duskmourn or Noumena came up to swipe the gold - but, hey, an upset's an upset, no matter how small.

Equally unanticipated was Dream Theater's fifth-place run in Biggest Letdown, with their (read carefully) 2016 album The Astonishing. Come on, guys. It was two years ago. Get over it. Biggest Surprise, meanwhile, fell to Trivium. Fair play, we suppose; The Sin And The Sentence ain't exactly Shogun, but it was admittedly unexpected of a declining metalcore-turned-hard rock band to put out something actually pretty okay. The real Biggest Surprise, though, was, as one sagacious write-in put it, "Wintersun - Releasing something other than a statement about why they haven't released anything."

We've given away some of the exciting bits, but there are more categories than we care to mention all at once here, so by all means continue your foray into the MSA results and start complaining about who got robbed and who's overrated. Remember: it's not about who won or lost; it's about discovering new music. Just because the voting is closed doesn't mean you can't keep listening.
Posted: 01.03.2018 by BitterCOld

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 65   Visited by: 590 users
01.03.2018 - 01:49
folker

Finally!!!
01.03.2018 - 01:50
Darkside Momo
Retired
Wow. Just as Mr COld said, we DO have our first tie!

Yep, just check Extreme Prog. Yeah, bot Enslaved and Ne Obliviscaris have exactly 294 votes each
(and yeah, I know it doesn't show on the Awards page)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.03.2018 - 03:13
VIG
Account deleted
Quote:

even with the success of last year's #AddSpectralVoice2017 campaign.

*wipes tears from eyes*

"I accomplished something!"

"Maybe I don't want to kill myself anymore!!"

Ey Maco #checkthisout

#SPECTRALVOICEFOREVER
01.03.2018 - 03:17
VIG
Account deleted
Quote:

Now, Savage Sinusoid is a great album - some would say an exceptional album - some would say a wicked pissah album, but they all live in Boston

Nice one, Craig!

(sorry for being annoying with these two posts)
01.03.2018 - 03:33
Maco
Pvt Funderground
We were defeated this time but the next candidate awaits its support. War's not over.

#AddMyFellasFromAntichrist2018 (peruvian death/doom from iron bonehead).
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.03.2018 - 04:02
Rulatore

2017 power metal was so bad that Iced Earth was the best one, jesus christ, even from that list you guys could pick up a better album instead of that lackluster pile of mediocrity
01.03.2018 - 06:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 01.03.2018 at 03:17

Quote:

Now, Savage Sinusoid is a great album - some would say an exceptional album - some would say a wicked pissah album, but they all live in Boston

Nice one, Craig!

(sorry for being annoying with these two posts)

Credit to SSUS... he wrote all that, I just posted it up as he was slammed with that whole "job" thing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2018 - 07:16
Druss

Very happy 7 other people at least decided to give Satan's Hallow in Heavy a listen. That's some fucking tasty heavy metal.

No major surprises as always, including a good job done by the site admins/Elites. Thanks for the recommendations, fellas, still working through them, cheers
01.03.2018 - 08:18
metaladdicted
Account deleted
Number of votes decreased compared to last year.
01.03.2018 - 08:55
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Good to see Battle Beast getting 2nd place in heavy. And another of my surprise votes getting a mention, too.
Anyone else noticed yet that Beast In Black's write-in in heavy has come in at both 12th and 15th place? Combined it should be 11th.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2018 - 09:31
Ivor
Staff
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2018 at 01:50

Wow. Just as Mr COld said, we DO have our first tie!

Yep, just check Extreme Prog. Yeah, bot Enslaved and Ne Obliviscaris have exactly 294 votes each
(and yeah, I know it doesn't show on the Awards page)

We don't have a tie, Ne Obliviscaris has one write-in vote to be tallied.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
01.03.2018 - 10:14
NastyHero

I wonder how many votes Diablo Swing Orchestra would have gotten if it was nominated by staff. Well, 5. place is still not bad for a write-in.

To be fair, while reading the description of voting, when you were mentioning the 'obvious winner' in melodeath category, I was sure that you were refering to Mors Principium Est. I mean, I know, that Arch Enemy's name is much bigger but have you actually listened to the album? It's not very well received by readers as well.

But then again, votes can be deceitful. Cradle of Filth, which I dislike, was in top 20 albums with a much better average rating than Moonspell, yet the latter band won. Rightfully, so.

Also I liked that you listened to my suggestion (probably you didn't and it's just a coincidence) and you left album descriptions available for reading.
01.03.2018 - 10:51
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
LOL 10 people actually voted for Machine Head's Catharsis in Biggest Letdown

http://metalstorm.net/awards/categories.php?cat_id=24
01.03.2018 - 11:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2018 at 04:02

2017 power metal was so bad that Iced Earth was the best one, jesus christ, even from that list you guys could pick up a better album instead of that lackluster pile of mediocrity

So, you didn't like Iced Earth's album either?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.03.2018 - 11:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Boris didn't win! It's a travesty... :|

As always, the ones I voted for didn't win most of the time ahah What's new? The only exception being Moonspell, well done my fellow Portuguese! And also Iced Earth.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.03.2018 - 11:38
JoHn Doe

So Ayreon won best progressive metal, quite predictable I dare say. And I don't mean it in a good way.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
01.03.2018 - 12:30
NastyHero

I'm on the opposite spectrum of things - Iced Earth was the only band in their category which released a very good album. Maybe I just dislike power metal despite it being a starting metal genre for me but all the other nominees were decent at best.

Also I don't understand what Ivor said about Enslaved and Ne Obliviscaris not having a tie. Could someone elaborate?
01.03.2018 - 12:41
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by NastyHero on 01.03.2018 at 12:30

Also I don't understand what Ivor said about Enslaved and Ne Obliviscaris not having a tie. Could someone elaborate?

that's because someone used the "write-in" option to vote for Ne-O rather than the regular one :
----

I am awake"
01.03.2018 - 13:19
NastyHero

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was just wondering why they hadn't adjusted that. It's fixed now.

(...I voted for Enslaved...)
01.03.2018 - 14:08
Hellcult

So it seemslike Arch Enemy manage to get 2nd place twice as for the best(in melodeath) and the most dissapointing band lol !?
But i thing votes speak for themselfs

191 votes (i have voted here ) = The Best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal Album - Metal Storm Awards 2017
28 votes = The Biggest Letdown - Metal Storm Awards 2017

It looks like it is a very good melodeath for most of us rather than disappointment
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
01.03.2018 - 14:08
Risto
Wandering Midget
Also Mastodon made the results in two categories with write-in votes (stoner/sludge and prog).
01.03.2018 - 14:40
VIG
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2018 at 06:18

Credit to SSUS... he wrote all that, I just posted it up as he was slammed with that whole "job" thing.

Alright. Still cool to see a shout out to us Boston boys
01.03.2018 - 14:41
VIG
Account deleted
Written by andreosokin on 01.03.2018 at 10:51

Well, it wasn't that much of a letdown, because it was obvious it was going to be total shit long before it came out.
01.03.2018 - 14:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 01.03.2018 at 14:41

Well, it wasn't that much of a letdown, because it was obvious it was going to be total shit long before it came out.

The funny thing is that that Machine Head album was released at the end of January 2018
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2018 - 14:46
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2018 at 14:45

Written by Guest on 01.03.2018 at 14:41

The funny thing is that that Machine Head album was released at the end of January 2018

Oh yeah, I didn't even realize that. I am quite tired
01.03.2018 - 14:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Rulatore on 01.03.2018 at 04:02

Welcome to the Metal Storm Awards
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.03.2018 - 16:12
Zap
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2018 at 12:41

that's because someone used the "write-in" option to vote for Ne-O rather than the regular one :

That should be enough to lose your right to vote
01.03.2018 - 16:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Yeah, I clam tie. Tie! Tie! Tie!
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.03.2018 - 16:38
Yaer1995

I was robbed
01.03.2018 - 16:57
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Zap on 01.03.2018 at 16:12

Written by Darkside Momo on 01.03.2018 at 12:41

That should be enough to lose your right to vote

I would actually tend to agree
----

I am awake"

Hits total: 6770 | This month: 7