Band: Chaos Echœs
Album: Mouvement
Style: Avantgarde metal, Death doom metal
Release date: February 2018

01. Embodied By Perfidious Curls In The Innervated Flux
02. As An Embraceable Magma Leading The Subliminal
03. Surrounded And Amazed By These Unplumbed Abysses Of The Inverted Sea
04. Through Kaleidoscopic Haze Of Unexpected Extents
05. Shine On, Obsidian! Ego! Ego! Echo Back To The Yearning Of The Self!
06. Alas! Here Is The Feebles' Assent, Exalted By Your Mouth Full Of Flies

Ah yes, the mighty France. The reputation this country has acquired as something of a Mecca for artistic experimentation is no less deserved today than it was in the time of André Breton and the early surrealists. In the realm of metal, one band in particular has risen recently that really capitalizes upon the legacy of France as a land of transgressive art unlike any other. I am talking, of course, about Chaos Echœs.

Multifaceted. That's the only word that really describes the nature of Chaos Echœs with any sort of accuracy. Ever in a state of flux, with a penchant for genre mixing and improvisation, the only thing that can ever really be expected out of this group is the unexpected itself. Here on Mouvement, the band's second full length album, listeners will notice right from the opening track that things are a lot more violent, uptempo, and abrasive than on previous efforts. Whatever the reasoning behind this may have been (and with these shapeshifters it's likely there was no reason at all), here Chaos Echœs have definitely upped the overall intensity of their puzzling combination of death, black and doom metal. Riffs oozing of influence from all three snake their way around each other in confounding yet strangely hypnotizing combinations, while a dazzling rhythm section lays down the foundational pounding in similarly odd fashion (the drum and bass techniques on the fourth track are especially awe inspiring).

While still unquestionably true to the spirit of their earlier material, Mouvement also feels refreshingly "new" for displaying a newfound sense of balance Chaos Echœs seem to have fond between their harsher elements and their more meditative, ritualistic ones. It's no secret that these musicians have a knack for crafting shamanic, droney ambient dreamscapes in addition to their more frantic barrages (see last year's Unfathomable EP or some of the "Interzone" tracks of earlier). But previously these shamanic moments came much more as their own separate tracks, interludes of sorts within the more dominant aggression. Mouvement changes the game here considerably, seeing the two intermingling with each other in a much more cohesive type of synthesis. The second track here is a perfect example: it's slower and brings out the trance vibes in heavier doses, but it's still interlaced with crushing, doomy riffs, cymbal smashing, and a slowly creeping black metal presence as well.

Whether or not Chaos Echœs went into the composition of Mouvement with much of an advance plan in mind is a mystery. If we take the improvisational nature of the band into account, the more aggressive nature of this album could simply be owed to frontman Stefan Thanneur being upset about stubbing his toe while waking up the morning of recording. Or perhaps all band members were pissed because they missed the bus to the recording studio and ended up behind schedule. Whatever the case, it's clear with Mouvement that Chaos Echœs have learned from their past efforts, both more relaxed and unrestrained, and have channeled these two aspects of their personality together in ways listeners truly cannot say they heard before. Only time will tell what these routine rule breakers have up their sleeves from here, but at this point I think it's safe to say that whatever dish is served will be one hell of a meal.

Early AOTY contender for sure. Go get floored.

Written on 05.03.2018 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 139 users
05.03.2018 - 21:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No matter what french will put up in doom, there wont be band as Distress anymore.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.03.2018 - 21:45
Rating: 8
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Bad English on 05.03.2018 at 21:30

No matter what french will put up in doom, there wont be band as Distress anymore.

Major thanks for this completely irrelevant comment that has nothing at all to do with Chaos Echoes or the review itself.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.03.2018 - 22:22
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
While I do wish your review work came more often, it's worth the wait.

Chaos Echoes is such a goodie too. This album is def much better than their debut but the cover art is shit.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.03.2018 - 22:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 05.03.2018 at 22:22

This album is def much better than their debut but the cover art is shit.

I was a little mixed about the artwork myself at first but I'm growing to like it a lot more lately. Seems steeped in symbolism and invites a lot of different interpretations. I'm kind of seeing a head with a nose and that red in the middle even looks a little fist shaped... head also seems to be giving off some electric-type static. I have no idea what it "really means," but I can admire the ambiguity, as it's reflective of the band's own ambiguity
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.03.2018 - 23:15
VIG
Account deleted
I fucking love this band so much. One of my favorite "new" bands.
06.03.2018 - 00:58
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 05.03.2018 at 23:15

I fucking love this band so much. One of my favorite "new" bands.

They're one of the strongest ones to have emerged this decade, no doubt
----

~ II. VII
07.03.2018 - 14:41
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Do you find much comparison with Transient to elaborate this one with? I felt so far given with the few spins that this output emphasises more on the dissonance improvisation of the blast beating death side to them. I have noticed artists work like this before - where after making an album featuring multiple different elements, their later work acts as single directions of the previous albums' sections experimenting with that certain style taken further. I was thinking of Agalloch as my example along now with these guys when I wrote that.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

07.03.2018 - 15:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Alakazam on 07.03.2018 at 14:41

Do you find much comparison with Transient to elaborate this one with? I felt so far given with the few spins that this output emphasises more on the dissonance improvisation of the blast beating death side to them. I have noticed artists work like this before - where after making an album featuring multiple different elements, their later work acts as single directions of the previous albums' sections experimenting with that certain style taken further. I was thinking of Agalloch as my example along now with these guys when I wrote that.

That's a very solid analysis actually, you're right on the money. Indeed, Transient was more of a blend, and Mouvement seems to embrace the death metal intensity more than any other element. As I said though, that certainly doesn't mean that the added aggression and abrasiveness is any less esoteric, puzzling, and ritualistic. It still has that deconstructive, otherwordly edge to it for sure.
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 3025 | This month: 2