04. The Same Asylum As Before
05. Refuge
06. Permanating
07. Blank Tapes
08. People Who Eat Darkness
09. Song Of I
10. Detonation
11. Song Of Unborn

First of all, let me congratulate Steven on his first top 3 spot on the UK charts, losing only to Ed Sheeran and Elvis. Just give your songs a bit of a "pop" feeling and there you go!

This man continues to impress me with each new release, although his 4 1/2 EP wasn't that convincing (a good piece of music, nevertheless). A massively different approach to songwriting this time: just play "Permanating" - who could expect such a joyful song from the so-called "king of sad songs"?:And Porcupine Tree fans are going to love the obvious musical resemblance on songs like "Same Asylum As Before" and "Detonation".

Steven recorded most of the tracks himself as if he remembered it's his solo project and hired a different drummer, Jeremy Stacey, although his current live drummer, Craig Blundell (Frost), appears on 2 or 3 tracks. Both of them are telling their own stories, which entwine perfectly in this album context. And as always, Steven Wilson delivers brilliant production, something that you may consider a trademark. Overall, it left me with a very good impression. Took several spins to grow on me, but this is clearly a sign of a masterfully created piece of work.

Up to this point, Steven Wilson created some diverse music from (solo) album to (solo) album, each of them shining in a different light. And it's great to have To The Bone in your collection, because you can play it literally to anyone, not only to die-hard fans of progressive rock, but to... you know, normal people... People, who might think that Metal Storm is a construction company, or people who post their food on Instagram before eating it, et cetera - but that, kids, is a completely different story...

Favorite songs: "Song Of I", "Pariah", "Detonation".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by andreosokin | 13.03.2018

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
N/A
This is not a good album, and not just taken at face value. However, this is a Steven Wilson album. Given that, you could expect me to go on a long-winded argument with a favourable conclusion, praise and a cherry on top. Here's the deal, though. It's just not a good album. For all sorts of reasons. While there's more to it than meets the ear, in the end the pieces just don't fit together.

Read more ››
published 09.11.2017 | Comments (15)

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 59 users
13.03.2018 - 20:12
Rating: 8
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Man I love this album and I agree with you, my rating is 8.5, ThAnX for reviewing this album logically not just like some people who think that the musicians are their slaves...!

By the way I added your review to "To The Bone" Wikipedia page, Have fun!
13.03.2018 - 21:06
Rating: 2
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
I loved this album and I don't care about other close minded fans' opinions. Steven never ceases to impress me after each release. Change is good and a repetitive style in each album isn't something I'd love to hear.
14.03.2018 - 15:05
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by BloodJuNkie on 13.03.2018 at 21:06

I loved this album and I don't care about other close minded fans' opinions. Steven never ceases to impress me after each release. Change is good and a repetitive style in each album isn't something I'd love to hear.

Just because I don't like it as much as you doesn't mean I'm closed minded. Far from it and quite the opposite.

And I also think change is good and I welcome it, that's why I love prog so much.

I think it's more the case of people having different tastes than being closed minded. Just a thought
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.03.2018 - 13:13
Rating: 2
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by BloodTears on 14.03.2018 at 15:05

Just because I don't like it as much as you doesn't mean I'm closed minded. Far from it and quite the opposite.

And I also think change is good and I welcome it, that's why I love prog so much.

I think it's more the case of people having different tastes than being closed minded. Just a thought

Disliking the album is something and disliking the change into a bit pop-y style is another thing. I meant those people who want the same style over and over again. So it's fair to judge on the album not on what Steven wants to present.
19.03.2018 - 12:26
Rating: 9
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by Mehdi Taba on 13.03.2018 at 20:12

Thanks buddy! But it seems that Wikipedia moderators took it down already. Appreciate it, nevertheless!
23.03.2018 - 19:40
Rating: 8
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Written by andreosokin on 19.03.2018 at 12:26

Written by Mehdi Taba on 13.03.2018 at 20:12

Thanks buddy! But it seems that Wikipedia moderators took it down already. Appreciate it, nevertheless!

Yeah... it is removed, because it was a guest review and it doesn't represent the Metal Storm's staffs view!

Hits total: 1944 | This month: 5