04. Without You
05. Kiss Of Fire
06. Charon
07. To Hell And Back
08. In My Darkest Hour
09. Run With The Devil
10. Swan Song
11. Legend

In medias res - I guess I'm just missing some neoclassical bits and the monumental compositions that grab me and drag me along from start to finish. SX were always good, but there aren't many bands who do these things anymore. Those things are what set them apart from the rest - from good to great - for me at least. These aren't news anymore... But the guitars are overpowered (for tha modarn guitah produkson) and the leading keyboards are barely found - I guess I wish Jens Bogren would/could shake things up a little bit; all I hear is chugari-chug-chug with a background [insert appropriately named synth sound here] and of course Russell Allen, whose voice is still fucking amazing, just maybe lacks some.. variety? He is mostly using his powerful roaring voice throughout the entire record. I think we are right to ask, in many aspects, where is the next "Accolade", "The Odyssey", or "Rediscovery"? Of course, with all the hard work in the past, most of the members technically so proficient now that they can easily pull the wickedest pieces with the ease of a comfortably sleeping marmot, it all feels well placed, powerful and so on. You could say all those elements I so dearly miss are still there somewhere, deep in their musical DNA. I mean, it sounds like Symphony X. However, both will for improvement and an overarching, inspiring concept where all the songs fit like pieces of a puzzle are just not found, regardless of how hard I'm looking for them, and it takes away the freshness, the element of surprise, and the depth from the music. Nostalgic for the time when there were real differences between their songs (not that I knew them back then - ah our hypocrisy!)... I honestly have to give the biggest props to Jason Rullo, even through the very much streamlined sound I sort of felt like he performed some of the songs with the energy of an excited 10-year-old kid.

Some guy said you could easily replace any number of songs from the last three records and no one would notice (look up the comments section). Unfortunately, the statement feels very close to what we are presented with. The sound is almost exactly the same, and if the rhythm department had not changed their groove and speed a bit then we would almost have the next AC/DC on our hands (in terms of repetition). It's not to say that they aren't good, but it certainly feels like the band had stopped challenging themselves a long time ago. The modern sound served excitement with Paradise Lost, but their with it came their lean, stripped down songwriting that got old for me by now. And even if it's irrational to expect new things every time, no one can possibly believe in their right mind that they could have ever reached the peak of their creative height. It's never too late to experiment; in fact, now would be the very best time. For me they have fallen into the Dream Theater well, where instrumental proficiency is thriving but everyone is desperate for inspiration.

My personal favourite is "Legend", cause the groove kicks ass with its bass and Russell shows a glimpse of his clean voice and showcases his legendary highs.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by qlacs | 21.02.2018

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Belegûr
Rating:
After 4 years of waiting since the release of Iconoclast, Symphony X return with Underworld, an album that may divide fans of the band depending on the expectations placed on this 9th studio effort.

Read more ››
published 13.07.2015 | Comments (38)

Guest review by
Boris_Pembroke
Rating:
Fantastic production and instrumental prowess make up for some cheesy song titles & lyrics.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2015 | Comments (4)

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 23 users
31.03.2018 - 13:42
Rating: 9
FelixtheMetalcat

Well stated however this is a bit different and at least more varied than Iconoclast was. I agree it would be refreshing to hear them dial back some of the aggression and also just have Russell SING a bit more.

Hits total: 3079 | This month: 9