Album: It Weighed Itself In Silver
Style: Technical death metal
Release date: February 2018

01. ... Only Downards
02. Occulters Of The Psylent Wayyy
03. Psalms Of Deepening: The Underbridged & The Overbridger
04. Within The Obscurity Of The Billow
05. Ashore
06. Hierophantasma's Untruthful Smoulder (Of A Never-Known Rhythm & Flame)
07. They're Building An Infinite Tower To His Finite Glory
08. Subsonic Depths, Alingual Horrors

Tired of tech death? What about tech death that is esoteric and transcendental?

Not much is known about Exlimitir; in fact, their only official link is their Bandcamp page, which features just about no information about the members or the project other than it being Canadian. Alright, so Canadian tech death, this should ring some bells, Gorguts, Cryptopsy, Quo Vadis yada yada; probably the Canadian band with which Exlimitir has the most in common is Chthe'ilist, but actually their sound is closest to a band coming all the way from Finland, Demilich.

In a short 32-minute run time, It Weighed Itself In Silver bounces and gurgles all over the place with an absolutely filthy drowned-in-magma sound. While not really as gurgly as Nespithe, Exmilitir has vocals about as low as my expectations for the next Dimmu Borgir album, contributing to the inhuman sound of the album, whether hellish or extraterrestrial. The technical part of the album is about as in-your-face as it can be, the music rarely focusing on a single riff or musical segment, instead creating an endless cacophony of dissonance. The most prominent of the instruments is clearly the bass, which is often times bouncing frenetically in the highlight. That doesn't mean that the guitars and drums are not mesmerizing as well, though. Everything on this album but the vocals twists and turns in unexpected ways.

While the dissonance, atonality, and the lack of structure may feel over-the-top, it only feeds the inhospitable and esoteric feel of the album. While there is not much setting the tracks apart, apart from certain ambient sections of some of the songs and the intro, the songs flow seamlessly, one into the other, and only one of the tracks passes the five-minute mark. And considering the short run time of the album, it's unlikely that you'll feel exhausted by the dazing and almost surreal experience. The production also does the album justice, straying far from the clean, polished sound of most tech death, instead pushing into bass heavy and dissonant Portal-ish sounds.

There is nothing we know about this band and this makes it much more intriguing. Is it a one-man project, a secret side-project, or maybe even just a gift that either aliens or elder gods bestowed upon us? Will a next offering come and, if so, is Exlimitir a one-trick pony?

These questions have no answers yet, but we may only wait and see.

Written on 26.04.2018 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 121 users
27.04.2018 - 01:44
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I've been spamming this band everywhere here. They're the new Demilich everyone!
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
27.04.2018 - 11:12
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Maco on 27.04.2018 at 01:44

I've been spamming this band everywhere here. They're the new Demilich everyone!

occulters of the psylent wAYYY LMAO
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
27.04.2018 - 23:35
Rating: 9
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
I dig this a lot, thanks for bringing it up !
----
18.01.2019 - 18:21
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
"Exmilitir has vocals about as low as my expectations for the next Dimmu Borgir album"

COME ON AND SLAM
AND WELCOME TO THE JAM
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.08.2021 - 15:39
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by RaduP on 27.04.2018 at 11:12

Written by Maco on 27.04.2018 at 01:44

occulters of the psylent wAYYY LMAO

I wonder would that means when it comes to literal practice. Hmmmm. how others' imaginations is grounded when put down if they are into form?
I dig the art which is why I went for trying it purely reminding me of this. Looking at the eyes it's a post-Lovecraft entity like Daoloth.

Obvious worship is obvious and easy to recognize but occasionally the worship gets new levels of devotion as much as it already dilutes death metal enough, this cutie is definitely the closest to Demilich worship from playing aside to the use of dialect alone.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

Hits total: 4198 | This month: 10