Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian - Athens, Greece 28.04.2007

Event: Blind Guardian: Greek Dates
Written by: iaberis
Published: 08.05.2007

I can't even recall when the last time Blind Guardian came to Greece was but here they came again, with three concerts this time, one in Thessalonica and two in Athens, serving the hunger of their fans in both Northern and Southern Greece. The two shows in Athens took place in the club "Fuzz Live" and according to their staff were both "sold out" days before the shows. If you consider that this club can hold a bit more than 2000 people, you can see that the interest for these two shows was enormous and still many people were left without tickets, desperately searching for one outside the venue.

From these two dates (Saturday 28 and Sunday 29) I chose the first show, so I arrived outside the venue just about an hour before the show. It was scheduled to start around 21.00 but many people gathered there earlier, either looking for tickets or their friends. There also were stands with people selling unofficial T-Shirts of the show and the tour just before the entrance of the club. I have to admit, I bought one since it was half the price of the official ones inside the club, hehe! In the club, the service was good since you could leave your extra clothes at the relevant place for ?3 - a rather fair price, although it could have been free of charge. There was also a small store with official t-shirts but unfortunately with no CDs or other memorials to buy.

The show was planned to start at 21.00 but as usual with Greek organizers, it started with a delay of 20 minutes. At least the DJ was cheering the fans with good music, like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Nevermore and Iron Maiden. With this and that, Blind Guardian came on stage under the introduction of the sound of "War of Wrath" (as usual) and rushed into the music with the powerful "Into the Storm." The crowd was so anxious that from the first song a violent mosh pit broke out just right next to me with people fainting and probably being run over. A guy was carried outside and probably missed the whole concert but that's the price you have to pay for fooling around. Thankfully the crowd cooled down a bit after the third song which was the acoustic "Nightfall." Many Tolkien and fantasy fans came just for that song and no one was left unsatisfied.

Somewhere in the beginning of the show

Thankfully the concert was not only about the last album (A Twist in the Myth) as I was afraid and the band played songs from all of their albums. As a matter of fact, the only song they played from their new album was "Fly" somewhere in the middle of the show. Most of the songs they played were from the album "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" but they also didn't forget the rest of their legendary songs. Every now and then, Hansi Kürsch would speak with the crowd so the rest of the band could catch a breath. He also got a banner that some of their fans threw to him, but I didn't manage to read it from the distance I was at at that time.

Hansi talking to the crowd, in one of the many breaks

The highlights of the show were almost during the last few songs. Three songs before the end the band left the scene and said that the show was over, but no one believed it since it's becoming a cliché joke for almost all bands. So after this small break, the band came back on stage to perform the last three songs. They started with "And Then There Was Silence" in the middle of which another big mosh pit started which eventually brought me just a few meters from the band. I knew then it was the time for their classic song, which they hadn't performed during the whole show. "The Bard's Song"!!! As usual Hansi left the crowd to sing in his place and it was a true moment of magic! The whole crowd was standing still with the hands in the air singing along. This atmosphere lasted till the last song which as Hanschi said, the band decided to finish concerts with that. "Mirror Mirror"!!! So this fine concert ended after two hours, with the crowd singing along with the Bards and their songs...

I have to admit that the new drummer, Frederik Ehmke, did a really good job during the whole show and replaced very well Thomen Stauch. He even threw a membrane of his drums to the crowd which gave a true fight for that!

In the center, the new drummer Frederik Ehmke

So as you can see it was a great show which had it all; I even helped a dude perform "crowd surfing"! The only thing I have to complain about is the air condition of the club which was pretty bad since the heat was enormous. Cigarette smoke and the smell of sweat were floating the room from the beginning and many people felt uncomfortable and moved to less crowded areas. I don't know if this smelly atmosphere got cleaned later or I just got used to it but the air conditioning was not working well for sure. Thankfully every now and then some head-banging metalhead was bringing me some cool air!!! From what I've heard many people fainted during the show, probably due to the heat and the frequent mosh pits that were popping up. These mosh pits also kept me from taking some good photos... Damn!

Somewhere in the middle of the show

I can't give you a complete set list of the show since I don't remember all songs and the order they performed them. Here is what I remember but I'm sure there were more:
War of Wrath, Into the Storm, Welcome to Dying, Nightfall, Ashes to Ashes, Born in a Mourning Hall, Fly, Bright Eyes, Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill), Valhalla, Majesty, Lost in the Twilight Hall, And then there was Silence, The Bard's Song, Mirror Mirror.

Fortunately the lights were good and we got the chance to see all the members

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 24 users
10.05.2007 - 14:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good job man realy great
Xaxax how much can read sabato 28 aprilio

Mirror Mirror are ewery where and IM happy thay play old classic songs
Yeah if Acropolis are Iron Hill then there time stand still

Hahah cigarete smokes thay shood go to Kariaskaki when burning lairs or Toumba when burn seats
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.05.2007 - 20:25
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Wow... Majesty.... now I vanna see them again. Last year they didnt want to play it.
----
11.05.2007 - 00:38
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Stalker on 10.05.2007 at 20:25

Wow... Majesty.... now I vanna see them again. Last year they didnt want to play it.

When there's screaming dudes shouting "Majesty!" all the time it becomes so annoying that you can't bear it and finally sing it! Same happen with the "Lost in the Twilight Hall".
Fucking awesome experience! All the classic songs were there!
----
Bitch! Please
11.05.2007 - 00:45
Adrastos81
Account deleted
I was there at Sunday and the performance of the band was great!, specially Hansi did excellent job. The new songs are really good live. The only problem was the heat. Here is the setlist with no order: War of Wrath, Into The Storm, Banished from Sanctuary, Valhalla, Welcome to Dying, Lord of the Rings, Ashes to Ashes, Bards Song, Imaginations from the Other Side, I'm Alive, A Past and Future Secret, Mordred's Song, Nightfall, This Will Never End, Time Stands Still, Fly, Another Stranger Me, Punishment Divine, Mirror Mirror.
11.05.2007 - 00:50
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by Guest on 11.05.2007 at 00:45

I was there at Sunday and the performance of the band was great!, specially Hansi did excellent job. The new songs are really good live. The only problem was the heat. Here is the setlist with no order: War of Wrath, Into The Storm, Banished from Sanctuary, Valhalla, Welcome to Dying, Lord of the Rings, Ashes to Ashes, Bards Song, Imaginations from the Other Side, I'm Alive, A Past and Future Secret, Mordred's Song, Nightfall, This Will Never End, Time Stands Still, Fly, Another Stranger Me, Punishment Divine, Mirror Mirror.

Yeah, the air condition was bad... After the show I was wet and not all sweat was mine! Haha!
Damn! They didn't perform "Another Stranger Me" on Saturday... I liked this song!
----
Bitch! Please
11.05.2007 - 13:04
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by iaberis on 11.05.2007 at 00:38

When there's screaming dudes shouting "Majesty!" all the time it becomes so annoying that you can't bear it and finally sing it! Same happen with the "Lost in the Twilight Hall".
Fucking awesome experience! All the classic songs were there!
Man, believe me, between every 2 songs crowd was yelling MAJESTY, MAJESTY, and when it became annoying, as you say, Hansi just said: Im afraid htat its not possible tonight.
But i respect them, really, they said: It wont take us another 20 years to come here, and there they are, whole yoear didnt pass and theyr back.... Its not like what every band says on every gig... and they even made video in belgrade....
----
11.05.2007 - 15:17
TamTam

Greece is so close... come to Israel..... plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
11.05.2007 - 18:24
Judas
The Amputator
Man, that brings back some memories! I'm remembering their gigs in Melbourne in February, front row for both nights, and the Slovakia show last October... Good times!

That setlist is roughly what they played on second night in Melbourne. Good you saw them that night, they wouldn't have done 'Majesty' the next day!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
13.05.2007 - 18:36
TamTam

You're making me jealous. ><!
15.05.2007 - 15:40
arcikbtw@gmail.com
arcikbtw@gmail.com
never in poland.... :/
21.05.2007 - 21:01
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Haha, it takes some crazy Greek people to mosh to Blind Guardian xD nice review!
06.07.2007 - 18:38
Imraghil

i really want to see them live, they are one of the greatest bands ever and i dont even seen them live!
17.07.2007 - 14:00
APOHAKC
The Bard

Have you seen suggestion on Serbian Metal?

There were some contest, you send playlist that you would like them to play, and then they will decide and try to put as many songs as they can

Well, since no one couldn't agree (what a suprise ), and mostly fans of the old and new songs, some guy make propositon that we split into old school fans and new school fans and go onto some field and make a fight, and who win, send setlist
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
17.07.2007 - 23:12
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by APOHAKC on 17.07.2007 at 14:00

Have you seen suggestion on Serbian Metal?

There were some contest, you send playlist that you would like them to play, and then they will decide and try to put as many songs as they can

Well, since no one couldn't agree (what a suprise ), and mostly fans of the old and new songs, some guy make propositon that we split into old school fans and new school fans and go onto some field and make a fight, and who win, send setlist

Hahah, nice! and you are i suposse, old school fan, right? Damnit, I vont be at that concert, and it seems like it will be even better than the last (or first, lol) one....
----
18.07.2007 - 02:30
APOHAKC
The Bard
Old school, old school

I missed them last time, I must go now
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!

Hits total: 8284 | This month: 10