Comments

Comments: 49   Visited by: 848 users
07.06.2018 - 10:36
Zersorger

Okay.:yes:
07.06.2018 - 13:13
Rating: 7
musclassia

The last one was a bit of a disappointment, the only song that really stood out to me was The Pit. Hoping for somethng closer to the level of Beyond
07.06.2018 - 14:13
Rating: 8
Liafev

Written by musclassia on 07.06.2018 at 13:13

The last one was a bit of a disappointment, the only song that really stood out to me was The Pit. Hoping for somethng closer to the level of Beyond

Well, even though the last one is not my favourite, I think they have some very good riffs in there. For exemple Ophedian Sunrise always comes back in my head, even when I didn't listen to the album for weeks.
08.06.2018 - 16:46
Rating: 9
s_t_s

Their latest album was damn good in my opinion and so are the last two previous. Hopefully this new album will prove they are now walking on a steady way !
29.07.2018 - 03:38
dammage11

New World Shadows >= Beyond > Grey Heavens
Gods go First sounds like a mix of NWS and Grey Heavens we we'll see where this ends up
10.08.2018 - 13:19
qlacs
"The Quaker"
First two songs are in, I like it so far. If it's closest to New World Shadows out of their latest albums then I'll be happy with it.
----
31.08.2018 - 11:51
Rating: 6
Risto
Wandering Midget
Most of this feels kinda uninspired, the prominent riff in Be the Sky is blatantly recycled for example. Sounds like Omnium Gatherum for sure, but the Insomnium job is definitely drawing a negative mark on this band.
31.08.2018 - 12:09
Rating: 10
Litvin

That is just an awesome material, kinda The Redshift 2 but way better with some come back to the early days.

Appreciating the new drummer.

Magically melodic death metal, just cant stop listening. Over the top.
31.08.2018 - 12:21
Litvin

Written by Risto on 31.08.2018 at 11:51

Most of this feels kinda uninspired, the prominent riff in Be the Sky is blatantly recycled for example. Sounds like Omnium Gatherum for sure, but the Insomnium job is definitely drawing a negative mark on this band.

Can clearly hear some of Kalmah sounds on Driven by Conflict. Can't hear even a bit of Insomnium here on this album. I think you just wrong stating the Insomnium job.

I think it is actually way around - Insomnium got some Omnium Gatherum influence on its last album - Winter's Gate, which is not bad at all, that was a great album.
31.08.2018 - 17:14
musclassia

Not as good as Beyond or NWS, but a bit of a step up from Grey Heavens based on my memory of that album. Think it would be lifted up by a White Palace/Everfields-style epic song or two, but apart from a bit of cheesiness the songs are generally pretty enjoyable. The ones that stood out on first listen were Over the Battlefield and The Frontline. Think it's riding the line between a 7 and 8, but may change with more listens
31.08.2018 - 17:20
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Litvin on 31.08.2018 at 12:21

Can't hear even a bit of Insomnium here on this album. I think you just wrong stating the Insomnium job.

"Insomnium job" means he can't write quality for two bands at once, not that this album sounds more like them.
01.09.2018 - 03:17
Ocean Sage

Grey Heavens was my metal album of the year from 2016 and The Burning Cold still impressed me. Omnium Gatherum did it again!
01.09.2018 - 03:59
Litvin

Written by Risto on 31.08.2018 at 17:20

Written by Litvin on 31.08.2018 at 12:21

Can't hear even a bit of Insomnium here on this album. I think you just wrong stating the Insomnium job.

"Insomnium job" means he can't write quality for two bands at once, not that this album sounds more like them.

Yeah i c but still disagree, that is the best OG album so far.

With such a logic if person writes just for one band he writing the highest quality, really?
There is lots of so called musicians who writing crap just for one band.

If you an inspired great musician you can write for as many bands as you can.
I wish Markus start writing for Children of Bodom and Inflames.
03.09.2018 - 05:39
dammage11

I gotta listen to it more, but I'm not totally feeling it. It feels quite a bit derivative and stays very safe. The middle of he album kind of lags, and the closer is not the epic song that I hoped for, but the rest of the songs are pretty good.
04.09.2018 - 15:54
Dark Horizons

As said in another post, MDM takes too high scores on metalstorm.
This is an average album... nothing really interesting.
----
We are just a moment in time
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand
04.09.2018 - 20:16
jmika
Account deleted
Written by Dark Horizons on 04.09.2018 at 15:54

For those of us who have grown up to like all types of metal it's evident that MDM is very overrated here on MS. But what can we expect? It's a reflection of the average member, and there is plenty of young people on here. I remember 10 years back, my teenage years, I liked all the more melodic stuff. Kalmah, Insomnium etc etc. And then... I got tired of it basically. Still enjoy some of the classics, and sometimes you hear great new stuff like Omnium Gatherum's "New World Shadows". I really liked this album. Most of the time though, new melo-death is watered out riffs that has been played over and over again.
I conclude: We need some older members on MS, some people with refined taste who can vote up doom/sludge/stoner, even prog or metalcore.
04.09.2018 - 21:28
Dark Horizons

Written by Guest on 04.09.2018 at 20:16

For those of us who have grown up to like all types of metal it's evident that MDM is very overrated here on MS. But what can we expect? It's a reflection of the average member, and there is plenty of young people on here. I remember 10 years back, my teenage years, I liked all the more melodic stuff. Kalmah, Insomnium etc etc. And then... I got tired of it basically. Still enjoy some of the classics, and sometimes you hear great new stuff like Omnium Gatherum's "New World Shadows". I really liked this album. Most of the time though, new melo-death is watered out riffs that has been played over and over again.
I conclude: We need some older members on MS, some people with refined taste who can vote up doom/sludge/stoner, even prog or metalcore.

I respect the tastes of everyone, but 8.8 to this album means that it's close to THE GALLERY (just to take an example from the mdm scene).
I don't know if I shoud laugh or cry...
----
We are just a moment in time
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand
05.09.2018 - 10:30
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
At the ending of the album (song Cold), there is a huge Twin Peaks reference, basically one of its theme is written among the outro synths.
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
05.09.2018 - 12:09
Sword_Chant

Just as awesome as their last album, but I love Rest In Your Heart and Be The Sky, both awesome songs that take me back to old In Flames when they were at their best.
05.09.2018 - 12:42
Constantine

Festival of mediocrity and "safe sound". Probably their weakest album, such shame.
05.09.2018 - 13:16
Ball Fondlers

I can't say I've ever seen "refined tastes" and "metalcore" put in the same sentence
Otherwise, pretty good point. Anything MDM seems to start from 9+ as soon as it's release day and slowly drop down, albeit not enough.
07.09.2018 - 01:28
jmika
Account deleted
Written by Ball Fondlers on 05.09.2018 at 13:16

I can't say I've ever seen "refined tastes" and "metalcore" put in the same sentence
Otherwise, pretty good point. Anything MDM seems to start from 9+ as soon as it's release day and slowly drop down, albeit not enough.

Haha! Good one man! Refined and metalcore in the same sentence, I find it pretty amusing myself to be honest. I should have put "refined" and "The Contortionist". Top class prog, metalcore, deathcore. Also "Architects" are worthy. Apart from that: "Refined" is not what comes to mind when listening to the average "crabcore".

People here automatically put 9 or 10 on MDM indeed. And genres that sound way different gets rated down, just for sounding.... well.... "different".

Got to give this album a spin now.
07.09.2018 - 13:26
s_t_s

Written by Guest on 07.09.2018 at 01:28

Haha! Good one man! Refined and metalcore in the same sentence, I find it pretty amusing myself to be honest. I should have put "refined" and "The Contortionist". Top class prog, metalcore, deathcore. Also "Architects" are worthy. Apart from that: "Refined" is not what comes to mind when listening to the average "crabcore".

People here automatically put 9 or 10 on MDM indeed. And genres that sound way different gets rated down, just for sounding.... well.... "different".

I really don't share your opinion first because I seldom rate an album 9 and surely never 10 as there is not such a thing as perfection ! I mostly listen to MDM too but feel the genre is pretty wide as Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, Omnium Gatherum, Wolfheart, Amorphis or (old) In Flames for instance don't sound similar at all to me.
07.09.2018 - 19:27
jmika
Account deleted
Written by s_t_s on 07.09.2018 at 13:26

I really don't share your opinion first because I seldom rate an album 9 and surely never 10 as there is not such a thing as perfection ! I mostly listen to MDM too but feel the genre is pretty wide as Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, Omnium Gatherum, Wolfheart, Amotphis or (old) In Flames for instance don't sound similar at all to me.

Of course there are great bands in the MDM genre, like in any other genre. And also there is variation, like you are pointing out. I think Dark Horizons (the user above) addresses the average high rating on ANY MDM album. I can only speak for myself, but the best example I can give is: The best releases in stoner/doom/sludge gets a low eight or even a high seven rating, while Shylmagoghnar gets 8.5. To me... Shylmagoghnar is the prime example of overrated MDM on MetalStorm. Most of the big metal magazines and/or blogs/websites praises the new YOB as one of the better doom albums this year. Here on MS it barely get's an 8. Shylmagoghnar on the other hand is 4th best album of the year. Overrated? Yes.

I like Omnium Gatherum, hope this album is as good as the ratings so far.
07.09.2018 - 22:15
s_t_s

Written by Guest on 07.09.2018 at 19:27

Written by s_t_s on 07.09.2018 at 13:26

I really don't share your opinion first because I seldom rate an album 9 and surely never 10 as there is not such a thing as perfection ! I mostly listen to MDM too but feel the genre is pretty wide as Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, Omnium Gatherum, Wolfheart, Amotphis or (old) In Flames for instance don't sound similar at all to me.

Of course there are great bands in the MDM genre, like in any other genre. And also there is variation, like you are pointing out. I think Dark Horizons (the user above) addresses the average high rating on ANY MDM album. I can only speak for myself, but the best example I can give is: The best releases in stoner/doom/sludge gets a low eight or even a high seven rating, while Shylmagoghnar gets 8.5. To me... Shylmagoghnar is the prime example of overrated MDM on MetalStorm. Most of the big metal magazines and/or blogs/websites praises the new YOB as one of the better doom albums this year. Here on MS it barely get's an 8. Shylmagoghnar on the other hand is 4th best album of the year. Overrated? Yes.

I like Omnium Gatherum, hope this album is as good as the ratings so far.

Thank you for pointing me out to Shylmagoghnar, am checking them out now !
08.09.2018 - 20:26
cobrapel
Concept One
Written by Guest on 07.09.2018 at 19:27

The best releases in stoner/doom/sludge gets a low eight or even a high seven rating, while Shylmagoghnar gets 8.5. To me... Shylmagoghnar is the prime example of overrated MDM on MetalStorm. Most of the big metal magazines and/or blogs/websites praises the new YOB as one of the better doom albums this year. Here on MS it barely get's an 8.

Can't see a great difference between 8.5 and 8.1
I would like to know what these big metal magazines and/or blogs/websites think about new Shylmagoghnar. The difference is the audience. Bigger audience means higher rating, and doom will never be popular like melodic death. Rarely you will see a doom album in any popular ranking, be sure.
11.09.2018 - 00:39
EricAxel36

Not as bad as power metal

15.09.2018 - 07:07
cubanmetalguy

Quote:
Quote:

...and there is plenty of young people on here. I remember 10 years back, my teenage years....

20 something... Wow, you are really old dude!
16.09.2018 - 21:22
MeatWolf

Written by Risto on 31.08.2018 at 11:51

Absolutely agreed and something I pretty much expected when they hired him. You can't write music this good on a 2-3 years schedule basis for 2 top level bands.

I actually fail to comprehend why people dislike Grey Heavens so much WHILE liking this album, it's a whole level below GH in variety and composition while basically having the very same straightforward backbone. Only that GH had such gems as Frontiers or The Great Liberation and still managed to include some epic stuff like Majesty or Ophidian Sunrise.

Now to the album itself, there are 2 major problems, the mastering and the mediocrity. Mastering has been getting progressively worse on every OG album since Beyond, now they just cut all the highs out, it sounds like a demo, not like a full length on a major. The mediocrity was already mentioned several times here, not much to add, stuff like Over the Battlefield with that embarassing 1 line chorus or The Frontline which is so happy sounding that even I got the cheese overdose is just not alright.

Their worst since Redshift.
25.10.2018 - 19:06
metalbrat

OG is a very melodious band with a growler just to establish it as a MDM band. Is there any one song in this one which stands out as real Death Metal with melodic riffs???. And you guys give 8.4 rating!!!!.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘

Hits total: 14100 | This month: 20