01. Loving You Sunday Morning
02. Another Piece Of Meat
03. Always Somewhere
04. Coast To Coast
05. Can't Get Enough
06. Is There Anybody There?
07. Lovedrive
08. Holiday

How did the Scorpions sound after Uli Jon Roth left the band in 1978? This 1979 release by the German heavy rockers shows one of the different styles they took during their career and gave a glimpse of how their sound would be later on in the 80's. To some fans, this album had a commercial sound specifically more mainstream than previous releases that featured Uli on lead guitars (Virgin Killer, Taken By Force etc...) which is true, but for many people it was a change for the better because this album featured Rudolph's brother, Michael on lead guitars on 3 out of the 8 tracks (Another Piece Of Meat, Coast To Coast and Lovedrive). On the other 5 tracks Mattias Jabs, one of my all time favorite guitarists, played as the second guitarist alongside Rudolph and handled most of the lead guitar work.

The album starts with one of the most famous Scorpions songs "Loving You Sunday Morning," a mid-tempo rocker that has nice solos which were perfectly done by Matthias Jabs. The album can be distinguished by the various styles the band tried on many of the songs, and can best be heard on the reggae based "Is There Anybody There?" Heavier songs include the fast-tempo "Another Piece of Meat" written by Scorpions' former drummer "Herman Rarebell," "Can't Get Enough" and the title track. Two of the band's most famous ballads can also be found on this album, "Always Somewhere" and "Holiday." "Coast To Coast" is the only instrumental on the album, and has become a stage favorite since then.

Overall this album is a must for every Scorpions fan, and should be in any Classic Metal collection because of it's importance and influence on most 80's metal bands. If you haven't heard any of the songs on this album then you are missing a lot. "Holiday" and "Always Somewhere" are metal's most well known ballads that are still fan favorites to this day.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by Mountain King | 29.03.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 20 users
14.06.2018 - 11:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well you talk about changes, I say its still good Scorpions, 90's are bad ones
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4245 | This month: 7