Metal Storm logo
ScreamingSteel's Next Top More 10 Best Else Metal Covers of Nonmetal Songs, The Second One

Written by: ScreamingSteelUS
Published: 19.06.2018

I had such fun writing up my first list that no sooner had I published it than I began compiling potential further entries. If that's the case, why did it take me nearly two years to put the second list together? While I think about how to answer that, let's start off Part II.

1. Sabaton - "Camouflage"

I love a lengthy folk odyssey as much as the next guy, and the peculiar tale of Stan Ridgway's 1986 hit is one likely to keep any listener interested for all seven-plus minutes, but when reinterpreted, it seems impossible that anybody but Sabaton could have written "Camouflage." By cutting the song in half and boosting the tempo, overhauling the rhythm, exchanging Ridgway's airy melody for a bold guitar lead, and doubling down on the sing-along potential, Sabaton transformed this rambling, new wave curio into a thundering battle hymn. Isn't it about time Sabaton recorded a song about Marines?

original

2. Halestorm - "Bad Romance"

Halestorm has recorded a boatload of covers over the last few years, and while my favorite, Skid Row's "Slave To The Grind," doesn't fit the requirements for this article (already being a metal song), Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" comes as a close second, so it'll do. You could argue that this version is more hard rock than heavy metal, and thus it doesn't meet my criteria anyway, and shut up, it's my list. Halestorm's arrangement of the song is simple, none too adventurous, but Lzzy Hale's soaring screams really blow the lid off the piece. This is proof that catchy pop songs are nothing to be afraid of; sometimes, we just need a quick reskin to ease the introduction.

original

3. Metallica - "Astronomy"

I feel bad for Metallica, because if/when I eventually do my list of the best covers of traditional/folk songs, I'm going to completely ignore their version of "Whisky In The Jar." Given the number of high-profile covers Metallica have done, their inclusion on this list is also not an incredibly original choice; everyone can substitute their own favorite for this entry, and I myself ruminated on "The Wait" and "Die, Die My Darling" before settling on "Astronomy," but this has always been my favorite Blue Öyster Cult song, and Metallica's take is surprisingly sensitive and inspired. The brawn and volume don't overpower the mysticism until the time is right, and overall the song has a kind of magic that Metallica can no longer find in their own material.

original

4. Boney' NEM - "Livin' La Vida Loca"

If you live in America, grew up in the 21st century, and are wildly ignorant of pop music (as I've been told), it's easy to feel nonplussed by the completely foreign world that is 20th-century pop songs and the European metal bands that cover them. Much of Boney' NEM's career as a parody act is lost on me, I'm afraid, but this is one song that I do know (maybe because Ricky Martin isn't European), and the wild thrashing and beautifully haphazard vocals both reproduce and satirize the mild distress of the original. Boney' NEM is at once barely invested in the song and having way too much fun.

original

5. Realm - "Eleanor Rigby"

Turning The Beatles into blistering thrash is a concept that makes me say, "Yeah, you could, but why would you?" It was, anyway, until Realm's reckless, asphalt-grinding cover changed my mind and also gave me a concussion. "Eleanor Rigby" transforms into Metal Church on steroids thanks to Mark Antoni's sky-piercing shrieks and Realm's best efforts to outrace itself over these two minutes, proof that just because an idea seems really stupid doesn't mean it will be. Or? maybe it still is really stupid, but that's okay.

original

6. Strapping Young Lad - "Room 429"

"Room 429," unlike the rest of these entries, serves a particular function for the album on which it is featured (City) - transitioning from the raging industrial thrash blowout of the album's earlier tracks into the droning misery of the closer - so I have no idea how well it functions as a standalone piece, but I'm highlighting it anyway. Cop Shoot Cop's original is a little more unorthodox and performed with cold disaffection, a very nihilistic industrial rock setting, but Strapping's take is heavy, crunchy, and moody, and when the song reaches its dark, haunting climax, I'd never ask for any voice but Devin's snarling away at the oceans, the heavens, and everything in between. I've been listening to City more-or-less nonstop since my junior year of high school, but it wasn't until much later that I suddenly came back to "Room 429" and realized that I was unnerved by my own existence.

original

7. VooDoo KungFu - "Get Up Stand Up"

This cover speaks to me because VooDoo KungFu perfectly grasped what Bob Marley was truly all about: instilling fear in the weak.

original

8. Motörhead - "Motörhead"

This might be considered cheating, since Lemmy wrote the song, but see entry #2 - it's my list. Authorship notwithstanding, Hawkwind's version is more of a heavy rock song, high on the nectar of early-'70s psychedelic boundary-pushing; Motörhead's version is twice as fast and ten times as raw. It's like Hendrix's upgrade of "All Along The Watchtower" - the original came with a sax solo and a bloody violin, both replaced with "Fast" Eddie Clarke's blistering, punk-blues shredding. There's no reason not to like Hawkwind's brawny, historic-sounding rendition - but Motörhead's "Motörhead" is MOTÖRHEAD.

original

9. Jorn - "Don't Stop Believing"

Jorn is another fellow who likes to cover everything in creation, and that's all right with me because his voice is like a big, gruff, Norwegian comfort blanket. Between Masterplan, his Avantasia appearances, and his own solo material, I've learned to associate Jorn's voice with magic, power, and a general inner warmth. Take that voice, add Trond Holter on guitar, and then apply it to a soulful classic waiting to have the volume knob turned up *just so*, and you've got a fantastic evening waiting.

original

10. DragonForce - "Ring Of Fire"

File this one in the same category as Realm just above. What's to be gained by manhandling a gentlemanly classic and slamming it face-first into the pavement with inhuman speed and sky-piercing vocals? YOUR DESTINY, CHILD. Listen to Johnny Cash's original; those brass choirs were always meant to be hot-rodded into DragonForce's signature lightning licks. This is also a great way to get your fix of DragonForce without wading through eight minutes of guitar solo.

original

BONUS: I went over 10 with my first installment, and, dash it all, I'm going to do so again. I'm also going to break the rules again, since neither the original nor reinterpretation of the song in question is all that metal, but as I said before, it's my list and I do what I want. This is Boney' NEM's take on Europe's "The Final Countdown." It's trash and I love it.

Written on 19.06.2018 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 140 users
23.06.2018 - 16:29
MetalManic

These lists are fun indeed. I've lways loved the Metro cover by System but I've adored the non deviating version of Welcome to the Machine by AAL. Especially how it slams the listener with that heavy riff when the song kicks in. That entire album is a enjoyable listen.

Perhaps this fantastic cover of Highwayman (original: Jimmy Webb) by Beseech will make a future list. It's one of the finest covers of any song i've come across in the metal world.

23.06.2018 - 18:36
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by MetalManic on 23.06.2018 at 16:29

These lists are fun indeed. I've lways loved the Metro cover by System but I've adored the non deviating version of Welcome to the Machine by AAL. Especially how it slams the listener with that heavy riff when the song kicks in. That entire album is a enjoyable listen.

Perhaps this fantastic cover of Highwayman (original: Jimmy Webb) by Beseech will make a future list. It's one of the finest covers of any song i've come across in the metal world.

I'm not familiar with the original, but I did really like this version.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
25.06.2018 - 17:02
MetalManic

Neither was I.
25.06.2018 - 17:04
MetalManic

Oh, more fun! Beseech (previous lineup) did a cover of Gimme by ABBA back in 2002 (Soul's Highway album). Interesting take.
25.06.2018 - 17:48
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Next write an article on non-metal covers of metal songs
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.06.2018 - 00:22
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Karlabos on 25.06.2018 at 17:48

I do have one in the works, though it probably won't be out for a long while.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
26.06.2018 - 13:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

How about non-covers of metal of metal songs?
26.06.2018 - 18:19
sitskier12

Cool List! I also like these ones:
Graveworm: cover of Message in a Bottle
Omnium Gatherum: cover of Subdivisions
Norther: cover of Sabatoge
Firewind: cover of Maniac
26.06.2018 - 22:42
Kuroboshi

My favorite metal cover of a non-metal song ever is The Things She Said by Arsis. Masterfully adapted to metal, and the original is barely recognisable, making it virtually the only cover song I listen to regularly. Usually I just feel like listening to the original.
27.06.2018 - 16:24
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 26.06.2018 at 00:22

feel free to fire away some recs because apart of Tori Amos's Raining Blood...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
20.07.2018 - 17:21
BloodOnTheCeilin

Written by sitskier12 on 26.06.2018 at 18:19

Cool List! I also like these ones:
Graveworm: cover of Message in a Bottle
Omnium Gatherum: cover of Subdivisions
Norther: cover of Sabatoge
Firewind: cover of Maniac

Try the Allaegeon cover of Subdivisions, thank me later. It was so good that they did Animate later.
20.07.2018 - 17:23
BloodOnTheCeilin

I like the Halestorm one, but Helia had the best metal cover of a Lady Gaga song.of.all.time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaBzi4T6h78
21.07.2018 - 11:15
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by BloodOnTheCeilin on 20.07.2018 at 17:23

I like the Halestorm one, but Helia had the best metal cover of a Lady Gaga song.of.all.time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaBzi4T6h78

I mean... have you heard Leander's version of Bad Romance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuAdazB3oFs
----
21.07.2018 - 11:18
qlacs
"The Quaker"
On the same note, here's Only Girl (Rihanna): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eyKZfp0ZJg
And I've always liked Twilight Guardian's La Isla Bonita https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHo_CE-ggWY
Cheri Cheri Lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUy3pHH9z_Y
----
05.09.2018 - 05:56
Briiecheese

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 26.06.2018 at 00:22

If you're taking suggestions for that list, I really enjoy CAKE's cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs"
21.01.2019 - 15:06
JoHn Doe

Tad Morose cover od ABBA's Knowing Me Knowing You is pretty cool. It rocks!
Also another ABBA cover I like is Helloween - Lay All Your Love on Me

Nevermore's Sound of Silence also comes to mind.

I'll get back if I remember anything else.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 8909 | This month: 21