Metal Storm logo
System Of A Down - Serj Tankian Releases Statement About Lack Of New Material

We all know that System Of A Down hasn't released an album since 2005's Mezmerize and Hypnotize and while there's been talks of new material in the works, it seems like it never comes to fruition. Now, vocalist Serj Tankian has posted an open letter to fans following an interview that guitarist/singer Daron Malakian did with Kerrang! magazine regarding the band's inability to record a new album. Serj Tankian has responded citing artistic differences, equal publishing split claims and other major revelations regarding the hiatus.

Daron Malakian said during the interview that Tankian didn't even want to record the band's two 2005 albums, and claimed that, more recently, Serj hasn't been on board with the rest of the band on how they wanted to approach recording a new album.

In response, Tankian took to his Facebook page and this is the entire lengthy statement: "Confessions about Soad by Serj Tankian.
We are extremely lucky mofos for our fans to want a record out of our ragtag misfit of a crew after all these years, at times demanding it. This of course has led to numerous rumors about the band and our inability to make a record together coupled with he said/he said excerpts from each of our interviews in the past and present at times by sensationalism seeking media who are in no way, let's say, changing the world for the better themselves. So I'm going to attempt to clarify things for all of our sake once and for all hopefully without vilifying anyone in the process.

"It is true that I and only I was responsible for the hiatus Soad took in 2006. Everyone else wanted to continue at the same pace to tour and make records. I didn't. Why? For numerous reasons:
1. Artistic: I've always felt continuing to do the same thing with the same people over time is artistically redundant even for a dynamic outfit like ours. By that time I felt that I needed a little time to do my own work. I wasn't discounting restarting the process with the band later.
2. Egalitarianism: When we first started out our creative input and financial revenue splits were close to equal within the band. By the time Mezmerize/Hypnotize came around we were at the diametrically opposite end on both with Daron controlling both the creative process and making the lions share of publishing not to mention wanting to be the only one to do press.
3. I wanted to leave the band before Mezmerize/Hypnotize for these developing reasons. This is why I personally don't feel as close to the music on those records. There were songs I wanted to bring in but was hampered by unkept promises coupled by my own passivity at the time.
Time went by, we all did our own thing. My solo career gave me the confidence as a songwriter and later composer to re-visit Soad from a position of strength at first just to tour and enjoy each others' company, which we did and do so still. I knew they wanted to make a record, but given the past I was hesitant. At times there would be emotionally tinged outbursts by one band member or another mostly blaming me for the band's inactivity. After a long time thinking and processing, about 2 years ago, I went to the guys with a proposition for a way forward as a band. I wanted to rectify the wrongs of the past and establish a way we can all be happy moving forward so I recommended the following:
1. Equal creative input: by this time I had released 5 of my own records and was a better songwriter musically and Daron was getting better as a lyricist, so I said let's each bring in 6 songs that all band members approve fully and work on them along with songs or riffs from Shavo.
2. Equal publishing split: I personally feel that a band is an equal partnership and finances should reflect that.
3. Directors cut: whomever wrote the song makes the final decision after exhausting all types of ideas from anybody within the group. I did this because in the past, I'd bring in a song that would be morphed into an undesirable version that I myself would withdraw from consideration.
4. Develop a new concept or theme so that it's not just a record but a full experience.
(Obviously I'm omitting many other details here like agreeing on the 'sound' of a new record which we couldn't do either as we went back and forth with songs by Daron and myself. I remember sending lots of notes on songs by Daron, mostly from his current Scars On Broadway record, most of which I didn't consider applicable to Soad etc, they played around with some of my songs-suffice to say I think we tried).
Ultimately I had to draw a line in the sand because I knew I could never be happy going back to how things used to be within the band. And as we couldn't see eye to eye on all these points we decided to put aside the idea of a record altogether for the time being. My only regret is that we have been collectively unable to give you another Soad record. For that I apologize. Thanks for reading. Peace. Serj.
"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: System Of A Down
Posted: 13.07.2018 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 24   Visited by: 339 users
13.07.2018 - 13:57
Gothmog_Motsham
So basically money.
13.07.2018 - 14:57
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Yeah, after reading all that, the feeling is that it all comes down to money
13.07.2018 - 15:09
I don't think you guys have actually read the statement carefully at all.
13.07.2018 - 16:45
MetalManic
Written by DarthSitthiander on 13.07.2018 at 15:09

*so basically Daron
13.07.2018 - 17:29
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Gothmog_Motsham on 13.07.2018 at 13:57

So basically money.

That is only part of the equation. It is a combination of musical differences and revenue split. Not a big SOAD fan, but Serj's solo albums are mostly redundant hipster crap so I am kinda adamant in having him come with his own input. At least the SOAD albums are decent.
13.07.2018 - 17:41
Mercurial
Mez / Hyp were letdowns anyway so would rather they not bother under these circumstances. Harakiri was better than them so seems clear to me Serj is where the quality songwriting lies.
13.07.2018 - 17:44
MyNameJeff
This band is irrelevant at this point, just like many other 90s and 00s bands that were never THAT incredible to begin with and just went for the whole angsty teen kind of thing.
I used to like this band in middle school by the way.
13.07.2018 - 17:46
Mercurial
Written by MyNameJeff on 13.07.2018 at 17:44

This band is irrelevant at this point, just like many other 90s and 00s bands that were never THAT incredible to begin with. I used to like this band in middle school.

The endless people constantly clamouring for a new album would suggest otherwise, not to mention the fact they fill out venues when they tour.
13.07.2018 - 17:51
MyNameJeff
Written by Mercurial on 13.07.2018 at 17:46

This band is irrelevant at this point, just like many other 90s and 00s bands that were never THAT incredible to begin with. I used to like this band in middle school.

The endless people constantly clamouring for a new album would suggest otherwise, not to mention the fact they fill out venues when they tour.

I'm sure "Pizza pizza pie every day and every night pie pie pie pie pie" and other random lyrics/sounds version 2.0 will be a great commercial success on Spotify among 32 year olds!
I think they should incorporate some anti-Trump lyrics as well for greater effect! Don't take me too seriously by the way i'm joking around, i do like the band, i just don't want to see them do a really terrible hipster-rock-numetal comeback.
13.07.2018 - 17:55
Mercurial
Written by MyNameJeff on 13.07.2018 at 17:51

I'm sure "Pizza pizza pie every day and every night pie pie pie pie pie" and other random lyrics/sounds version 2.0 will be a great commercial success on Spotify among 35 year olds!
I think they should incorporate some anti-Trump lyrics as well for greater effect! Don't take me too seriously by the way i'm joking around, i don't dislike the band that much.

I can't speak for other places, but in the UK every "metal" club night consists almost entirely of 90s and early 2000s pop punk and nu metal. Take Kerrang! magazine for example, they still rotate Greenday / Blink 182 / *insert popular band from that era* every week on the front cover. You'd be surprised how much that era stays with a large demographic If you were talking about P.O.D. or Puddle of Mudd I would agree, but I think SoaD carved out themselves a place in history.
13.07.2018 - 19:26
Oracles
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 13.07.2018 at 17:29

Written by Gothmog_Motsham on 13.07.2018 at 13:57

So basically money.

That is only part of the equation. It is a combination of musical differences and revenue split. Not a big SOAD fan, but Serj's solo albums are mostly redundant hipster crap so I am kinda adamant in having him come with his own input. At least the SOAD albums are decent.

I used to be an SOAD fan until I realised that there is actual good music out there so I don't really care if they ever got back together. However, just because Serj wants a say in the music creation and his solo work is filled with "redundant hipster crap" doesn't mean he isn't entitled to some musical creation. Just because we can agree that his solo works sort of suck doesn't mean he should stop making them - music is a creative process and if that's something he likes he should continue it.
13.07.2018 - 19:49
Ganondox
I'm disappointed, but it sounds reasonable enough explanation. I hope they are able to find some sort of compromise.
13.07.2018 - 21:34
FYA
Destroyer
Who cares at this moment?
13.07.2018 - 22:33
DRobichaud
If Daron has to be the king for SOAD to continue, I'd rather they not continue. The last 2 albums, while fun, were nowhere near the magic of the self-titled and 'Toxicity', when - based on these statements - one can assume all members had more equal input. The latter work had way too much Daron vocally. Waaay too much. Serj needs to be up front just as much, and ideally, more than Daron. Those shitting on Serj for making a decision (partly) based on money, can take a walk. It's his job. There is no SOAD without Serj, and I have only peripheral interest in Scars on Broadway. There's only so much Daron one person can take.
----
Now is blessed, the rest remembered.
14.07.2018 - 00:38
IBlackened
Serj Tankian seems reasonable here. It makes sense.
----
Their old stuff is better.
14.07.2018 - 02:44
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Seriously, SoaD is one of those bands that never needs to release an album ever again. In fact, releasing one would likely hurt their reputation more than help it. SoaD can try to release an album but it will likely never please the fans.
14.07.2018 - 04:56
Lord Slothrop
Written by WorpeX on 14.07.2018 at 02:44

Seriously, SoaD is one of those bands that never needs to release an album ever again. In fact, releasing one would likely hurt their reputation more than help it. SoaD can try to release an album but it will likely never please the fans.

I'm a pretty big fan of SoaD and while I'm curious as to what a new album would sound like, I think you're correct. It's very difficult to capture lightning in a bottle twice.
14.07.2018 - 05:07
MyNameJeff
Also, this probably is a drama of the year contender, right?
14.07.2018 - 11:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by MetalManic on 13.07.2018 at 16:45

*so basically Daron

Or
*so basically Serj.
14.07.2018 - 16:37
MetalManic
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.07.2018 at 11:21

Written by MetalManic on 13.07.2018 at 16:45

*so basically Daron

Or
*so basically Serj.

of course
15.07.2018 - 02:50
InnerSelf
proofread free
Why would we ever want an album from them if they're not on good terms?
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.07.2018 - 23:13
Desha
delicious dish

This band is irrelevant at this point, just like many other 90s and 00s bands that were never THAT incredible to begin with and just went for the whole angsty teen kind of thing.

Except SoaD just isn't fully like those bands. They have more like a RatM kind of pull to them, with the political messages and occasional fun and inventive parts. Sure, they had some of that Nu-Metal aesthetic and Daron brought in some horrible Hollywood-bullshit, but their political edge and the armenian cultural influence are not to be underestimated.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
18.07.2018 - 03:01
MyNameJeff
Written by Desha on 17.07.2018 at 23:13

Except SoaD just isn't fully like those bands. They have more like a RatM kind of pull to them, with the political messages and occasional fun and inventive parts. Sure, they had some of that Nu-Metal aesthetic and Daron brought in some horrible Hollywood-bullshit, but their political edge and the armenian cultural influence are not to be underestimated.

You're right, I would care more about them if I wanted more political edge in my music or if I were Armenian. Neither applies at the moment.
28.07.2018 - 05:40
Traezeus
Written by FYA on 13.07.2018 at 21:34

Who cares at this moment?

Me. I fkn miss SoaD.

Hits total: 4393 | This month: 6