06. Мыпростоесть
07. Инь-Ян
08. Временная
09. Самим Собой
10. Продолжаем Движение
11. Танцуй, Клоун, Танцуй
12. Ядовитая
13. Космос

After slaying her way into the semifinals of Russia's version of The Voice, Nookie returns to a more familiar musical sphere with Исключения (Exceptions), her most aggressive and electric solo effort to date.

Since her 2013 solo debut, which was a rather free-spirited pop/rock/indie album with no particular stylistic basis, Nookie has been diving back into metal territory, albeit from a different angle from what she became known for. Despite the heaviness of these tracks, there is little overlap with The SLoT. The SLoT's approach has typically been to write very catchy pop melodies and thunder over them with abrasive screams and nu/industrial crunch, but Nookie's solo material has a very jazzy, artistic vibe. Even as she screams her lungs out at the end of "Мыпростоесть" and barrels through "Продолжаем Движение," Nookie draws out the quirky subtleties that made Живы! such an unexpected turn.

I am glad that Nookie's music has gotten successively heavier over these three albums (at least partially because now I feel justified in adding her to Metal Storm), and even more so that that has not come at the cost of sacrificing inventive songwriting. Even if Исключения is not quite as conceptually adventurous as Живы!, the execution exceeds all expectations. Исключения's forceful alt metal sheen does not preclude the inclusion of the catchy hooks that wormed their way into my ears on the last two albums, as the title track, "Продолжаем Движение," and "Танцуй, Клоун, Танцуй" demonstrate. Nookie's performance is impassioned and fluid, simultaneously a charismatic presence from which the spirit of the album radiates and a mere part of the album's larger aesthetic, working in tandem with the rest of the band rather than overpowering it.

The guitar work on tracks like "Инь-Ян," "Before I Die," and "Космос" derives some texture and ingenuity from math rock; listening to ID's light fingers pounce all around this album, it occurs to me that he does not often engage in such technical exercises, and these are some of his most interesting performances. Many of these tracks fiddle with time signatures, unpredictable chord progressions, and uncharacteristic complexity, pulling musical ideas from punk, hip-hop, jazz, metal, and pop to create a bevy of memorable melodies with impressive musicianship bubbling under the surface. "Before I Die" is as much The White Stripes as Guano Apes, "Вверх" as much Cyaneed as nu metal.

I do wish that Исключения had some of the delicate acoustic or lightly backed pieces that appeared on Живы!, i.e. "Научи" or "Давай Помолчим," or perhaps something electronic-based like Пыльца Лунной Бабочки's "Колыбельная." Tracks like those are the furthest from what Nookie is already doing with The SLoT, and while it's her metallic shriek that made her one of my favorite singers, I enjoy being reminded that she can sing on a quieter and more personal level as well. Still, I can't say I'm disappointed with what may well be her strongest and most replayable album thus far.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 02.08.2018 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 117 users
02.08.2018 - 19:55
Rating: 7
Eternity'sChild

So, I don't think you'll get a lot of replies here, since I can't imagine many people would like this, so I thought I'll give you one.

Well, I discovered her solo stuff because I weirdly rediscovered, that I once bought a Slot album somewhere and kinda thought it was really catchy. I was not really satisfied with The Slot's stuff (although, because it's catchy as hell, I couldn't resist buying some stuff), but the solo stuff from Nookie is a bit what I was looking for (though I'm not listening to much of it anymore), with the peak being the second album.
While I think you're describing the album very well, my opinion on it is a bit different. I think it's a lot more simplified stuff, compared to what she did before, so it got more of a "hit or miss" album for me.

But as always, it's really enjoyable to read your reviews.
03.08.2018 - 00:58
Rating: 9
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Written by Eternity'sChild on 02.08.2018 at 19:55

So, I don't think you'll get a lot of replies here, since I can't imagine many people would like this, so I thought I'll give you one.

Well, I discovered her solo stuff because I weirdly rediscovered, that I once bought a Slot album somewhere and kinda thought it was really catchy. I was not really satisfied with The Slot's stuff (although, because it's catchy as hell, I couldn't resist buying some stuff), but the solo stuff from Nookie is a bit what I was looking for (though I'm not listening to much of it anymore), with the peak being the second album.
While I think you're describing the album very well, my opinion on it is a bit different. I think it's a lot more simplified stuff, compared to what she did before, so it got more of a "hit or miss" album for me.

But as always, it's really enjoyable to read your reviews.

I appreciate it. It's not often that someone around here takes an interest to Slot-related stuff (that isn't directly tied to downvoting their whole discography). I agree with you that the overall approach of this album is more simplistic, and one thing I preferred about the previous two albums is that they weren't all based in the same sound the way this one is, but I think the individual instrumental parts on this album are more complex than what we've heard before, and that's pretty interesting to hear. I'd like that to continue on the next one.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
06.08.2018 - 20:43
Rating: 7
Eternity'sChild

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 03.08.2018 at 00:58

I appreciate it. It's not often that someone around here takes an interest to Slot-related stuff (that isn't directly tied to downvoting their whole discography). I agree with you that the overall approach of this album is more simplistic, and one thing I preferred about the previous two albums is that they weren't all based in the same sound the way this one is, but I think the individual instrumental parts on this album are more complex than what we've heard before, and that's pretty interesting to hear. I'd like that to continue on the next one.

I probably worded it kinda wrong, because I agree about the complexity of certain instrumental parts. I think what I actually ment was the overall sound that just gives me a lot more the impression that they tried to "play safe" here, whereas on the other ones there was more experimentation present.
15.08.2018 - 20:16
Rating: 9
Very interesting review. Thank a lot.
Concerning the simplification, yes, it really is. Especially when compared with the second album. In my opinion, this was due not to a change in her views on music, but with the fact that at the present moment her solo project is increasingly being developed as a concert group. Complex music is good for individual listening but not very suitable for a concert. Many tracks from new album were made just special for the concert performance but some disappeared almost immediately from the concert setlist after the presentation of the album. Her live performances with her own band make a very strong impression, the studio recording does not convey the expression that she demonstrates in a lively interaction with the public. Forgive me for the blasphemous thought, but many metal teams in live performance looks outright frankly boring compared to what she does on stage.
17.08.2018 - 21:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
More like Dookie...

ZIIIIIIIING
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 4820 | This month: 11