Metal Storm logo
Generic European Power Metal - Good Or Bad?

Poll

What is your opinion on standard European Power Metal?

It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!
It's good in doses.
It depends on my mood/the occasion.
It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps.
It's uninspired, yet somewhat enjoyable.

Total votes: 245
13.05.2007 - 15:23
Judas
The Amputator
So, I think the topic is pretty self-explanatory. What are your opinions on the multitude of European Power Metal bands around today, and why do you have that opinion? The style, often called 'Happy Power' or 'Flower Metal', is inspired by bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, and often uses neo-classical chord progressions along with soaring vocals, sing-along choruses, rollicking drums, frequent keyboards, and shredding guitarwork.

It's predictable, yes, and the lyrics, song-titles, and often even band names are horrendously cringe-worthy, but for me, nothing can brighten my mood and self-esteem better than some awesome tales of dragon slaying, princess rescuing, smiting with steel, and broken love, told in such a melodic and catchy manner.

Some bands in this area of Power Metal are Freedom Call, Magic Kingdom, Fairyland, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Power Quest, even Rhapsody Of Fire and Kamelot to an extent... If those names mean anything to you, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about! Powerscreams, catchy choruses, awesome melodies and a general feeling of invincibility and awesomeness, without feeling truly metal like Manowar. I'm a fan, but clearly it's not all I listen to. It's good in doses, to brighten the day, and to put a smile on my face, but if this was it, well, Metal would be pretty boring. Still, may this genre live forever!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
13.05.2007 - 16:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
My vote ''It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps''

Why because I dont like it, its just like eurovisuion song, c'mon new helloween is metal? Nop its more like eurovisin song, same about Blind Guardian
Ok I realy like early Blind Guardian and Hammerfall, Salamandra(even now), Black Abyss(even now) but I prefere music from those days when thay was young foul whit enegry and hair and leter jackets, IMO important are opening albums leither its just bouncing in glory of past and power metal lyrics are 'cheasy'
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.05.2007 - 16:24
Elodie Artour
Slania
I won't vote for now because I like some artists within power metal,but I don't like this music style in a whole.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
13.05.2007 - 17:25
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Voted depends on the mood...well 'cause it does. Sometimes I can't listen to it and have Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth and the likes blowing my brains out and sometimes I can't stand listening to that kind of music. Mostly it's a mix of the two...some extreme and some melodic all mixed together
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.05.2007 - 17:27
Opium
Account deleted
Being the fanboy I am, I've voted the first choice, which I'm sure Judas would have expected from me

European Power Metal has captured me ever since I heard bands like Dark Moor and Blind Guardian. I still enjoy them quite a bit nowadays, however, I can't even tolerate bands like Rhapsody Of Fire... the vocalist just kills the brilliant music, rather than enhancing the overall sound.
13.05.2007 - 17:43
Hyvaarin
My vote is kind of a combination of all of the options (save the last one) - when I'm in the mood for some ultra-flowery stuff, silly fluff like Freedom Call, etc. hits the spot. I can only really listen to it in short bursts and when I'm in the mood, though. I reckon I'd get diabetes if I listened to it for too long.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
13.05.2007 - 19:15
Hellish Star
Some are good but most don't please me at all. I want "more balls" in my metal!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
13.05.2007 - 21:09
ArchitectSupreme
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.05.2007 at 17:27

Being the fanboy I am, I've voted the first choice, which I'm sure Judas would have expected from me

European Power Metal has captured me ever since I heard bands like Dark Moor and Blind Guardian. I still enjoy them quite a bit nowadays, however, I can't even tolerate bands like Rhapsody Of Fire... the vocalist just kills the brilliant music, rather than enhancing the overall sound.

I would have to interject that Fabio Lione sounds like nearly every other Italian power metal singer (not that he isn't great but for some reason they all sound almost exactly the same when they go up into the higher range except for Michelle Lupe of Vision Divine, which coincidently Fabio was also in.) And as for Triumph of Agony , Rhapsody has lost its clout since the glory days of Symphony of Enchanted Lands (Pt. 1,) and even the Rain of a Thousand Flames. Albeit, I would still have to cast my vote for "Power Metal is #1." With so many diverse bands out there like Blind Guardian, Edguy, Galneryus, Manticora, Magic Kingdom, Firewind, Pagan's Mind, Avantasia and a score of others, I don't think I'll ever get tired of the glory that is... Power Metal
13.05.2007 - 22:57
LeDruide
"It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!" Quite a lot of awesome power metal bands out there, though also a lot make a boring music, with nothing exciting in it. But for the godd bands, yep, it gives a sensation of power, happiness, freedom also, and I can listen to it almost all day long.
@Judas : Kamelot? Till The 4th Legacy, yeah, but not anymore, but that's offtopic
13.05.2007 - 23:44
Torelli
I'm not a big fan of this scene. Sure,some of the artists really have talent, but it lacks feeling IMO. There are a few exaptions though. But in general small doses is quite enoyable, but taking an overdose might make you insane. But still, I prefer "flower metal" anyday over Manowar.

What I vote for? "It's uninspired, yet somewhat enjoyable."
14.05.2007 - 00:42
Stigmatized
It really depends on my mood. There are just those times where I want to hear really fast, pointless guitar and "soaring" vocals. I used to be into a couple of bands, but now it's just whatever I can find whenever I need it.
14.05.2007 - 03:12
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I voted for the Fanboy Option, "It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!" because quite frankly, when I hear good power metal I feel like I'm Doing one of two things, Either in battle Slaying demons in the Name of Good and Righteousness, or Gliding on the rainbow bridge, my spirit soaring free. The fact is, I love power metal, ever since I heard Maiden, I was hooked (and IMO there are a good amount of maiden songs which could be considered power or maby even "Proto-power.") From there I got into Some Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Rhapsody, Dragonforce, Oh yeah, I love it all. I even called myself a power metaler for a long ass time, and I guess to quite a large degree still could be called one, even though I have expanded thuroughly into the Extreme Metal Sphere. I mean, look at the first few bands in my bands list, Power and Thrash are my Roots.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
14.05.2007 - 04:48
Bitch Boy
I voted "It's good in doses". I really like some bands like Lost Horizon, Rhapsody, Nightwish, etc. but, at some point, I get tired of it, but it happens to me with almost every genre.
14.05.2007 - 17:53
High and Mighty
Account deleted
Voted for second option. I do enjoy it anyway.

Things repeat themselves once in a while and most bands actually become stick to the same tune which is as annoying as a manowar complex (same songs all along).
14.05.2007 - 21:41
Jg1
Depends. Some bands are really "flowery", but others are quite heavy. I don't like the pure power metal that much, some bands are great but I find that many are kinda empty. What I do like are the epic symphonic power metal bands. European power metal that uses bombastic symphonic orchestra and choirs is the best. It's just so, well, powerful.
14.05.2007 - 21:46
Nixx
Account deleted
Voted first option.
There's so many great European Power Metal Bands there that doesn't sound like this "sterotype" Power Metal which kicks ass.(Kiuas just to mention someone).

I truly believe that for me, metal would've been boring as hell without Power Metal, since it would be all about "OMG! Metal with ballllllllllss!", it also has this "charming" and sometimes yes, a predictable cheesiness, but that's what makes Power Metal great!

No, I don't listen to PM 24/7, that would've been too much even for me, but like I said, Metal would've been a hell lot more boring without Power-Metal.
14.05.2007 - 22:56
RavenLord
I voted for number 4. My experience with the European brand of Power Metal (including Kamelot) is that it is more often embarrassing than worthwhile. Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Edguy etc. are all excellent, because they're able to pull it off with conviction (in the case of Kamelot and BG) and with style, without sounding too hopelessly cheesy (although Helloween come pretty close). Most modern power metal is pants, though...I find most of it ridiculously bland, although Lost Horizon are excellent (strangely, one of the few overtly cheesy bands I like).

Basically, standard power metal as done by the likes of Hammerfall is not a lot better than radio pop, in my eyes. The good bands are outnumbered by the bad. And I'm not including bands like Wintersun/CoB/Kalmah in this, as I don't view them as 'standard power metal'.
----
16.05.2007 - 17:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
Standard european Power Metal is absolutely not one of my favourite genres, but it can be enjoyable from time to time. I rather listen to Power Metal mixed with some other genre.
----
16.05.2007 - 17:31
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Just take a look at my profile and you will discover that I am a sucker for Euroflower Metal. I adore broad registers in vocals, an acceptable variety of instruments (this is why I prefer Symphonic Power Metal to any other genre), some music school skills in practice and composition, and catchy, easily rememberable choruses from time to time. In any case, I support good bands with good musicians (for example: Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Dark Moor), none of this repetitive nonsense with so many below-average bands like Celesty and Emerald Sun.

The best thing about this genre, Euroflower Metal, is that every European country has some nice bands to offer: Dark Moor from Spain, Magic Kingdom from Belgium, Edenbridge from Austria... not to mention Italy, Finland or Germany, of course! (I am not daring Extreme Metalheads to list all these Black Metal bands from each European country, anyway).

Thus, my vote goes to option 1.
17.05.2007 - 04:47
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
Well who knows me already knows that I went for the last option. I can't stand most flower metal bands. I might have a soft spot for others (Edguy is a good example, though I don't find them all that flower power now, their first albums are flower), but bands like Blind Guardian (they have a concert this Friday here in Bucharest) Freedom Call, Avantasia (with Edguy's vocalist hope i got this one right) are just bad in my book. The funny thing is that when I get to listen to something like this i think of a blond guy in armor running a little queer like on a field picking up roses (no offense eu power metal lovers). Except that I find these bands boring & too happy for my tastes. Except that I don't have many arguments that i can think of now to say why i don't like them.
17.05.2007 - 09:19
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
In every genre, there is crap bands, Power Metal is now exception, it always seems to be one of the largest Metal genres around, so naturally, having the most amount of bad bads. However, there is briliant bands amongst them, and some even generic and unoriginal. I love the genre, it brings a bright spark into the scene. Sure some bands go over the top, who cares? Whats different in Black Metal? IMO the cheesiest genre of them all, yet i still find Black Metal is one of my fav genres.

Alot of bands are leaning toward the mainstream audience these days, especially in the last 2 years, this has heavily impacted not only Power Metal, but most types. You cant always pick on Euro Power Metal for sounding mainstream. Some bands are heading this way some bands arnt.

I just like music that sounds good to be perfectly simple, i dont care for techniques, musical talent etc. I mean i do enjoy it, but some bands may be average playing wise, but make enjoyable music.

Hooray for European Power Metal!!!!
17.05.2007 - 12:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Taktsekte on 16.05.2007 at 17:31

The best thing about this genre, Euroflower Metal, is that every European country has some nice bands to offer:

Oh? I dare you to mention a nice Euroflower band from the Netherlands...
Thank god for the fact that Euroflower is totally NOT popular here. Even a band such as Blind Guardian can't sell out a small concert venue here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2007 - 17:07
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.05.2007 at 12:37

The best thing about this genre, Euroflower Metal, is that every European country has some nice bands to offer:

Thank god for the fact that Euroflower is totally NOT popular here. Even a band such as Blind Guardian can't sell out a small concert venue here.

Awww. You don't like power metal?
That makes me a saaaaad Panda.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

17.05.2007 - 17:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.05.2007 at 17:07

I don't like Euroflower Power, but I do like US Power.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2007 - 17:37
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.05.2007 at 17:23

Written by Arian Totalis on 17.05.2007 at 17:07

I don't like Euroflower Power, but I do like US Power.

oh ok, all better
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

17.05.2007 - 18:02
FOOCK Nam
Power metal is the first genre metal I was into, by times I have gone for more extreme. Now I still can enjoy some power mixed with heavy. old Blind Guardian, and Helloween somewhat are still strong combined with 'happy mood", and so on for other bands. "Its awesome.."- my vote
17.05.2007 - 18:33
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!

Xystus.
17.05.2007 - 18:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Taktsekte on 17.05.2007 at 18:33

Xystus.

OKay they are a nice band but they don't play the Euroflower power but more a darker more prog oriented power metal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2007 - 19:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Well baltic States dont have flower bands too and thay are not populart here maye early Helloween but otherwise i doubt Sonata Arctica sold many tickets here, hmm IMO My Dying Bride do it more

same about Poland and slavic lands(exept Cz, SVK)

Yes BeNiLux has no well know power bands I dont know and havt liesten more how once(if ther ehas) but also well rebelion part of UK (all others exept England) has no flower bands too dunno about popularity but IMO ist death/grind heavy and doom country stil

@conservative ppl Iron maiden is NOT flower its heavy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.05.2007 - 19:11
APOHAKC
The Bard
Anyway, I voted for awesome. Because it is my favorite metal genre. Love almost all bands coming from Europe and playing power metal, ok, like always there are some really stupid bands but in generally I love it. I love energy in that music and lyrics in generally, if there are not to much dragons and fires, it is good. I am tired of suicidal lyrics, and that is one more reason why I like this genre. Some bands are classic...
And btw, Flower Metal is the stupidiest thing I heard in my whole life, but seriously, it is
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!