Metal Storm logo
Generic European Power Metal - Good Or Bad?

Original post

Posted by Judas, 13.05.2007 - 15:23
So, I think the topic is pretty self-explanatory. What are your opinions on the multitude of European Power Metal bands around today, and why do you have that opinion? The style, often called 'Happy Power' or 'Flower Metal', is inspired by bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, and often uses neo-classical chord progressions along with soaring vocals, sing-along choruses, rollicking drums, frequent keyboards, and shredding guitarwork.

It's predictable, yes, and the lyrics, song-titles, and often even band names are horrendously cringe-worthy, but for me, nothing can brighten my mood and self-esteem better than some awesome tales of dragon slaying, princess rescuing, smiting with steel, and broken love, told in such a melodic and catchy manner.

Some bands in this area of Power Metal are Freedom Call, Magic Kingdom, Fairyland, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Power Quest, even Rhapsody Of Fire and Kamelot to an extent... If those names mean anything to you, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about! Powerscreams, catchy choruses, awesome melodies and a general feeling of invincibility and awesomeness, without feeling truly metal like Manowar. I'm a fan, but clearly it's not all I listen to. It's good in doses, to brighten the day, and to put a smile on my face, but if this was it, well, Metal would be pretty boring. Still, may this genre live forever!

Poll

What is your opinion on standard European Power Metal?

It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!
It's good in doses.
It depends on my mood/the occasion.
It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps.
It's uninspired, yet somewhat enjoyable.

Total votes: 245
30.06.2008 - 23:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
it's enjoyable to some extent, but it's not really the most original of genres...
03.07.2008 - 06:58
Haightredy

I enjoy it. It mostly depends on how generic the band is. I prefer the more original bands, to hte more generic ones.
24.07.2008 - 22:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
One more good PM band from CYPRUS it calls Arryan Path(arryan are flowers type in USA) and album Road to macedonia are awsome, specely song , awsoem hellenistic band and lyrics, yeah Macedonia are greaks and Alexander are Master of Asia
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.07.2008 - 16:08
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I must admit, im a little bored out of the cliche bands i once loved. I still listen to them every once in awhile. Im in search of different bands at the moment, but i havent been focused on music recently, university takes its toll on my spare time haha.
25.07.2008 - 16:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Cornatus on 25.07.2008 at 16:08

I must admit, im a little bored out of the cliche bands i once loved. I still listen to them every once in awhile. Im in search of different bands at the moment, but i havent been focused on music recently, university takes its toll on my spare time haha.

Try Arryan Path and hail to Alexander and his kingdom
----

apos;'
[image]
30.07.2008 - 18:08
Judas
The Amputator

Matt is bored of Power Metal?
What the hell is the world coming to? Nothing is safe now.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
31.07.2008 - 01:09
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Judas on 30.07.2008 at 18:08

Matt is bored of Power Metal?
What the hell is the world coming to? Nothing is safe now.

Haha, its not that bad though.
Its been 8 or so years since i found my first Power Metal band, so ive had many years to enjoy all the new (and old) offerings related to the genre. The effect Power Metal had on me, say even 5 years ago, was still huge. I had that tendancy to air guitar songs, try and copy screams, pretend i was part of the song (you know, the usual ). The last 2 or so years though, its been different, normally when you get bored of a particular band in the genre, you just find a new one with a little research, but now, they are starting to sound too similar or not as good as their predecessors. Admitting the last year, ive barely been looking though.
This exact thing happened with bands like Opeth, Ozzy Osbourne, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, etc. Now im turning back to bands like Opeth, which i never really got into 100% because of the overwhelming Power Metal awesomeness
Also been getting into alot more Death and Doom Metal recently, but really digging acoustics.
Power Metal will come back to me for sure, just need a break from it.
Still cant stop listening to Wuthering Heights though, but i only found them last year.

I dont know why i wrote that with so much detail.... probably bored the shit out of anyone reading.
31.07.2008 - 05:44
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well it depends on my mood mostly. I enjoy it most times, bands liek Highlord, Morifade, Insania, for example which sound like every other PM band, but in the right mood they're perfect.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.09.2008 - 15:30
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Dragonforce, Rhapsody, Children Of Bodom, Wintersun, Sabaton and Ensiferum
Powermetal in Europe its fantastic.
28.09.2008 - 02:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Lol. Am I the only one that notices the word "Generic" in the topic title?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.09.2008 - 12:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 28.09.2008 at 02:39

No
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2008 - 07:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

nope. i mouthed my contempt on page 3.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.09.2008 - 08:01
Hrothdane

I started out with power metal and have been trying to broaden my horizons more, mostly with prog and folk metal. Even with a better appreciation of different types of metal, I still like to listen to good ol power metal most of the time. It just speaks to me, what can I say.

@power metal haters: I ain't hurting you by listening to power metal, and you ain't hurting my by listening to whatever you are listening to, so why not just live and let live
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
29.09.2008 - 08:13
thesabbathfan

The strictly generic power metal bands I'll listen to if someone puts it on, by chances are I won't listen to it by myself. But yes, like everything, creativity is needed. Good in doses, take 5 a day.
----
29.09.2008 - 16:20
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Well, if we say the generic power metal, the bands that sounds all the same, those I don't like, if they don't have something extra no other band has, like a vocalist with a special voice, or a special production on the album that makes it stand out, then it can be good. Other wise I like more creative and original power metal bands like Nocturnal Rites, Evergrey, Kamelot, Firewind, Sonata Arctica, Dragonland etc. etc. I need quality in Power Metal, or else I easily get bored. But I must say I was a Power Metal freak a few years ago, didn't listen to anything, and all power metal was great to me! It's like Dark Cornatus says. Eventually these things get back to me, need a break from it. Now I'm a lot into Melodeath, mostly those with the Gothenburg Sound, also progressive metal has become more frequently played in my room. But mostly the more extreme, and there most melodeath/death.
29.09.2008 - 18:55
nehrodwarf

at all the ideal, it's call that of "melodic metal" thread, cuz can be derivated a lot of "substyles" of metal!

m/
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

Ps: my website it's: http://gcasweb.orgfree.com
07.10.2008 - 05:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat

Not really. But I guess it's like in all major subgenres...
There are tons of bands that sound the same... But that doesn't mean they're bad, just... lack of creativity to have something that make them unique...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.10.2008 - 23:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 06.01.2008 at 09:52

the fact that "GENERIC" euro-power metal is winning handily speaks volumes about peoples' tastes. "Generic" anything should never be considered "good."

the helloweens and blind guardians of hte world play good power metal (i like them and i basically hate the genre overall), but the next notch down don't do a thing for me. terrible and uninspired.

Nothing more to add, except for most people replying in this thread: "PLEASE pick up a dictionary and look up the word GENERIC"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.10.2008 - 00:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nehrodwarf on 29.09.2008 at 18:55

at all the ideal, it's call that of "melodic metal" thread, cuz can be derivated a lot of "substyles" of metal!

m/

why you post it here, what you meant by this
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2008 - 19:22
nehrodwarf

Written by Bad English on 08.10.2008 at 00:05

m/

Cuz has too much "substyles" of melodic metal, sometimes only to define a genre of one band only.
So I prefer to use a generic denomination.
now was clear?!
----
In this life you can choose what kind of ave to be: a chicken or a phoexix. I choosen be a phoenix, cuz' I'm rebirthing from ashes

15.10.2008 - 19:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 07.10.2008 at 05:31

Not really. But I guess it's like in all major subgenres...
There are tons of bands that sound the same... But that doesn't mean they're bad, just... lack of creativity to have something that make them unique...

Yeah, but using that logic, the "Its Awesome! YEAH!!!!"-AKA "I don't know the definition of generic! YEAHH!!!" selection should not be winning. The "good in doses" should be in the lead if thats the case.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.10.2008 - 19:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nehrodwarf on 15.10.2008 at 19:22

m/

Cuz has too much "substyles" of melodic metal, sometimes only to define a genre of one band only.
now was clear?!

Ok then give me some examples?
----

apos;'
[image]
17.10.2008 - 03:36
nehrodwarf

Written by Bad English on 15.10.2008 at 19:49

Written by nehrodwarf on 15.10.2008 at 19:22

m/

now was clear?!

Ok then give me some examples?

surely! I can post some bands that had your style description modified. Example:

sometimes ago, Iron maiden's style was heavy metal, now it's new way of british metal (according to the site); Iced Earth was also "denomidated" Heavy metal now they're american heavy metal. still exists some bands (I don't remeber) that "created" an particular style. So, for me, it's easier "denominate" of a generic style: Cuz if I try to remember each new style created, I'll got nuts.
----

17.10.2008 - 14:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Iron maiden was BWOBHM 19809-1982 after it its Heavy Metal
Iced Earth is power thrash
----

apos;'
[image]
17.10.2008 - 21:38
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Bad English on 17.10.2008 at 14:45

Hahaha, lol at those typos, but that's not why I answer this, but Maiden is still NWOBHM, not casual Heavy Metal. Iced Earth is American Power Metal, it's a bit different from the European Power Metal as this thread is about, European, so I don't even know why Iced Earth is brought up. Well. That's things that happen I guess.
17.10.2008 - 21:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 17.10.2008 at 21:38

Written by Bad English on 17.10.2008 at 14:45

Hahaha, lol at those typos, but that's not why I answer this, but Maiden is still NWOBHM, not casual Heavy Metal. Iced Earth is American Power Metal, it's a bit different from the European Power Metal as this thread is about, European, so I don't even know why Iced Earth is brought up. Well. That's things that happen I guess.

NWOBHM is actually not a style of music but refers to metal bands that came out of Britain in a certain time period (very early 80s) and it was first used by the English music mag Sounds.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2008 - 22:12
Scottgun

I dropped out of the music world when the Nirvana/Pearl Jam scene hit in the US in the 90's. That is, I lost alot of interest in music in general and metal in particular and all those European power metal bands didn't cross my path. Then about the mid 00's I got reaquainted with metal and with European power metal. Which is to say it is still pretty fresh for me and I love it. Since I am also a guitarist, power metal is always going to present challenges so I don't anticipate running out of interest any time soon.
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp
24.10.2008 - 22:43
VPeter

Ohhh mmmyyyy ggaaaawwddd.
The stupidity of some people.. Please learn to read!! it says GENERIC power metal NOT AWESOME power metal.
But this shows exactly what kind of fans power metal has - who are like a cancer for the genre itself
24.10.2008 - 23:30
Elio
Red Nightmare
Uninspired, but somewhat enjoyable/listenable. Obviously no more than 3 songs in a row, then gets boring as hell!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.10.2008 - 01:05
Hrothdane

Written by VPeter on 24.10.2008 at 22:43

Ohhh mmmyyyy ggaaaawwddd.
The stupidity of some people.. Please learn to read!! it says GENERIC power metal NOT AWESOME power metal.
But this shows exactly what kind of fans power metal has - who are like a cancer for the genre itself

I would ask you to take your negativity somewhere else, but I'm too busy listening to power metal to give a shit
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades