Metal Storm logo
२०१८ - Non Habeo Aures. Et Ego Oportet Audire

Limted to mostly unknown, unsigned and obscure Extreme metal releases.

For more recs, check out the 2018 releases from the labels in this list.

Non-metal

Listen queue: Haeiresis, Eosphoros, Carpe Noctem, Psicosfera, Ars Magna Umbrae, Dysylumn, Sorcier Des Glaces, Dauþuz, Mare, Imperial Triumphant, Aseroe, Spite, Wolvennest, Mask, Plaguestorm, Mahr, Kosmogyr, Foehammer, Bismarck, Famyne, Morphinist

Created by: 3rdWorld | 26.08.2018

1. Cult Of Occult - Anti Life
Earth shatteringly intense and dry, life-sucked-out doom ~ France
2. Imperial Triumphant - Vile Luxury
Avant-garde / Jazz black ~ USA - A maddening fusion of extreme metal sound with jazz-like and free flowing playing style featuring sax, trumpet and trombone among others to give an atmospheric feel of walking down the underground jazz scene of yesteryear newyork whilst simultaneously having an extreme metal band along with you. Inspired by 1927's Metropolis and the greatest metal love letter to New york from New york itself.
3. Esoctrilihum - Pandaemorthium (Forbidden Formulas To Awaken The Blind Sovereigns Of Nothingness)
Black/death ~ France - Highly black metal infused death thats harsh, harrowing and ravaging. Not heavy but with a piercing and focused sound.
4. Esoctrilihum - Inhüma
Black/death ~ France - As if it the first one wasn't enough just 8 months later this one man band puts out a second full length of hyperfast black metal with a thick highly double bass driven drumming which is one of the highlights of this album. Absolutely stellar year for this artist.
5. Entropia (POL) - Vacuum
Psychedelic Black ~ Poland - Not many bands have the balls to pull off a 15 minute opener but Entropia have pulled it off and made it work effortlessly. Ufonaut was one of the best black metal releases of 2016 and so I was really looking forward to the new one and it has delivered in spades. One of the better modern black metal bands.
6. Panopticon - The Scars Of Man On The Once Nameless Wilderness
Black / Folk ~ USA - Austin Lunn just refuses to bow down to conventions. Just when you think they are going to slow down and take it easy not to suck up and play safe the risks they are taking seem to get bigger and bigger. Recently their release frequency was steadily increasing since Kentucky and now not only have they managed to maintain the frequency but come up with probably what is their masterpiece. The first album is a vicious brand of their usual atmospheric black albeit less folk inclined but still enjoyable and the second is an epic folk / acoustic showdown. One of the highlights of black metal for this year.
7. Orator (USA) - Kallipolis
Technical Death ~ USA - Marco Pitruzzella is one of my favorite drummers in the metal scene. I've always remembered his underappreciated work in Brain Drill, Anamolous, Monumental Torment. His performance here ranks among his best. Best thing about this where he is just a session drummer is how well the guitarists have given him space to unlock his potential and let him unleash his havoc. Its amazing how well their playing fits his hyperfast drumming style. I wish he keeps working with these guys in the future as well because its a such a good combination.
8. Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
Black/Technical death ~ UK - High contender for extreme metal album of the year. Songwriting quality is off the charts here. The bass and drums feel more organic than ever and the songs are really memorable with great hooks as well without becoming cheesy or melodic. Top notch production qualities.
9. Comatose Vigil A.K. - Evangelium Nihil
Funeral Doom ~ Russia ~ Synth driven funeral doom like a companion to early Monolithe records. Pounding, desolate and immeasurably heavy.
10. Thoren - Gwarth I
Avant-garde / black ~ USA ~ Basically like a more blackened and progressive instrumental companion album to the Imperial Triumphant album this year sans the sax but featuring the inhuman work of drummers Kenny Grohowski and Alex Cohen from the bands Imperial Triumphant and Malignancy, Pyrrhon, Epistasis, Involuntary Convulsion respectively. Also features members of Convulsion, Evilyn, Vihaan etc.
11. Ottone Pesante - Apocalips
Avant-garde black ~ Italy - Ridiculously weird and inimitable instrumental avant-garde metal that features only brass instruments plus a drum. Probably the world's only all-brass metal band. On the same pedestal as bands like Botanist, Geyron, Om etc. This is what I actually call Avant-garde metal instead of the pseudo experimental shit out there that just features prog metal with just some additional instruments. Vocal parts could've been more frequent though as they were absolutely brilliant. Listen: https://ottonepesante.bandcamp.com/album/apocalips
12. /---------------------------------------------------- Death ------------------------------------------------------/
13. Deceased - Ghostly White

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by 3rdWorld ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 8   Visited by: 75 users
26.08.2018 - 23:00
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh is this format gonna be a thing then?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.08.2018 - 23:24
Mercurial

Written by Karlabos on 26.08.2018 at 23:00

Oh is this format gonna be a thing then?

Lists breaks free. Lists expand to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But lists find a way.
07.09.2018 - 16:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
This embed Bandcamp thing is a pretty cool new format honestly but I could never really see myself doing it personally as I've always been a fan of little mini review descriptions of each album I put on a list. With this format, you can't really do that. I know some probably don't, but I always like doing that just to contextualize each album for whoever may be reading and not just have it sitting there. To each their own I guess
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
07.09.2018 - 17:23
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.09.2018 at 16:39

This embed Bandcamp thing is a pretty cool new format honestly but I could never really see myself doing it personally as I've always been a fan of little mini review descriptions of each album I put on a list. With this format, you can't really do that. I know some probably don't, but I always like doing that just to contextualize each album for whoever may be reading and not just have it sitting there. To each their own I guess

It would be best if we could have both. BC in lists, instead of BC on top of list.
07.09.2018 - 18:27
Zap
Written by Guest on 07.09.2018 at 17:23

Written by Auntie Sahar on 07.09.2018 at 16:39

It would be best if we could have both. BC in lists, instead of BC on top of list.

Yeah, the site is lacking in that regard.
18.02.2019 - 16:59
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Nice post about the Anti Life cassette and nr1 here, finally someone that has ears here and staff claims that there were 10 better sludge albums 2018
18.02.2019 - 21:44
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 18.02.2019 at 16:59

Nice post about the Anti Life cassette and nr1 here, finally someone that has ears here and staff claims that there were 10 better sludge albums 2018

Oh I remember loving their 2013 record, was aware they had a release in '15 but didn't check it out back then. Their brand of doom seems to be my favorite along with the likes of Indian, Funeralium, The Nihilistic Front etc. Anti Life is easily the best of last year for me but looks like their '2015 record which I'm yet to listen fully is gonna be even better.
19.02.2019 - 00:33
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 18.02.2019 at 21:44

Written by Guest on 18.02.2019 at 16:59

Oh I remember loving their 2013 record, was aware they had a release in '15 but didn't check it out back then. Their brand of doom seems to be my favorite along with the likes of Indian, Funeralium, The Nihilistic Front etc. Anti Life is easily the best of last year for me but looks like their '2015 record which I'm yet to listen fully is gonna be even better.

The 2015 is great, I do like the latest 2 a bit more than 2013 as they are a bit heavier. Let me know if you find something like COO. The new Miscarriage is nice one.

Hits total: 4653 | This month: 23