01. Into The Realm
02. Eldritch
03. Phylactery
04. The Binding
05. Between Hell & I
06. The Boundless
07. Crashing Black Moon

Are you ready to get spooked?

Straight from the cover art, it ain't to hard to tell that Parius found some inspiration for their sophomore album from horror movies, especially those B-movies and The Twilight Zone. Tales From The Eldritch Realm already oozes a sense of theatricality and drama. We've already heard The Lion's Daughter earlier this year take inspiration from horror movies, but whereas they took it more with synths, Parius do it with more nerdy dramatics.

So strip away the narration and the sound effects, what is The Eldritch Realm at its core? Death metal. Melodic, progressive, technical, all that jazz. I could namedrop a whole lot of bands they sound like, but bottom line is they're death metal. And because of their progressive aspects, the songwriting jumps from riff to riff and from growls to cleans quite seamlessly, with their noodly tech death and their acoustic interludes as well. Despite not being absolutely bollocks crazy, The Eldritch Realm rarely lingers too long on a single passage.

And with all the technical proficiency that the entire band displays, it would be easy for them to fall in the pitfall of overusing it instead of focusing on the songwriting and the flow of the album, but The Eldritch Realm doesn't feel bloated or rushed, and in the less than 30-minute run time that the album has, it manages to be varied, entertaining, and even somewhat goofy at times, mostly due to the occasional vocal play, but not only. It's quite clear that Parius don't take themselves completely seriously, which makes it so much more of an engaging listen, but this doesn't mean that they fall in the pitfall of being a joke band; they instead show that you can be fun while also taking your music writing extremely seriously, kinda like, say, Slugdge.

This record might actually be too short for its own good, and that's really the only thing somewhat negative that I can find to say about it. I suppose someone who is not into technical or progressive death will not feel a change of heart due to this album, but for anyone else, Parius prove themselves as worth paying attention to.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 26.08.2018 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 111 users
27.08.2018 - 14:34
qnick90
I´ve read somewhere, that they are touring now with Lör ...a truly curious combination of proggy "whatever" metal bands
27.08.2018 - 21:22
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by qnick90 on 27.08.2018 at 14:34

I´ve read somewhere, that they are touring now with Lör ...a truly curious combination of proggy "whatever" metal bands

I think it was actually through Lör's Facebook page that I heard about them
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.09.2018 - 13:40
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Pretty cool album, am I the only one who get Between The Buried and Me vibes at times here?
05.09.2018 - 17:49
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Fallen Ghost on 05.09.2018 at 13:40

Pretty cool album, am I the only one who get Between The Buried and Me vibes at times here?

Nah, there's definitely a hint of that as well
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
08.03.2019 - 16:27
jk666
I also heard of them through the Lor connection. This album is so much fun!

Hits total: 4142 | This month: 9