Metal Storm logo
Your Favourite Dream Theater Album

Original post

Posted by The Walrus, 14.05.2007 - 21:02
I thought it's may be interesting to compere DT's albums so i've opened this one

Here are my favourites :

1. My fav is Falling into infinity , i don't know why people hate this album so much ..
2. Train of thoughts
3. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
4. Awake
5. Octavarium
6. Systematic Chaos
7. Images And Words
8. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
9. When Dream And Day Unite

Poll

What is your favourite Dream Theater album ?

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
Images And Words
Awake
Train Of Thought
Octavarium
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
When Dream And Day Unite
Falling Into Infinity
Systematic Chaos

Total votes: 143
24.10.2007 - 03:45
Pianoman
Account deleted
8. Systematic Chaos
7. Six Degrees Of Inne Turbulence
6. Falling Into Infinity
5. Awake
4. Images And Words
3. Scenes From A Memory
2. Train Of Thought

1. Octavarium: Maybe because it is a very versatile album and in every mood you will like it. Similar to what happens me with images and words plus the amazing title track Octavarium that has to be one of my favourite Dream Theater songs. Although i change my mind every day because all dream theater albums are single masterpieces.
10.12.2007 - 21:10
RockeRoy
Train of thought and systematic chaos because they are the moast heavy, and i think The vocals are better on those two!! i hate james labrie's vocals, but they are a little better here
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.12.2007 - 13:40
Philaenas
Account deleted
I voted for Images and Words. Partly because I can let my girlfriend listen to this album and she'll even say she likes it, haha! And of course because it contains "Under a Glass Moon", damn.
11.12.2007 - 22:28
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I vote for Train Of Thought. That album is the edge of Dream Theater. They put all their hate on that album. They dare to write some lyrics against the war and some stuff like that. It's a great album.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
15.12.2007 - 12:17
Finicella
Account deleted
I said that in the DT thread, too, but here it is again: Metropolis Pt. 2!
Even the idea of the play is super. I never heard an album that was as great as Metropolis Pt. 2 before. ^^
But other albums are also great, like Awake or Train of Thought.. ^^
15.12.2007 - 13:17
duyhung
Account deleted
Strange i haven't voted in this thread before , but my favourite DT album must be Images And Words, true emotions i have from this album, plus the whole atmosphere is incredible, listening to IAW always makes me think of a starry night ....
02.07.2008 - 20:01
Hamird
Lieutenant
Hard to say just one but since I must vote for only one album, I would vote for Octovarium, that's an interesting album. I like most of tracks on that album!
03.07.2008 - 21:07
Elio
Red Nightmare
images and words...one of the most beautiful things i've ever listened...metropolis II is also great though
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
14.09.2008 - 18:57
I voted for Metropolis part 2.This album has GREAT songs-every single track is perfect.And the concept is brilliant as well.
15.09.2008 - 03:06
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I'm not a DT fan, but the album Metropolis pt. 2 means a lot to me, and it's one of the best albums I've heard in my life.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
16.09.2008 - 03:02
nana.MD
Star-Queen
1. Images And Words
2. Falling Into Infinity
3. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
4. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
5. Awake
6. Train Of Thought
7. When Dream And Day Unite
8. Systematic Chaos
9. Octavarium

...imo FII is clearly underrated...u can immediately distinguish derek sherinian's jazzy influence, it's obviously different to kevin moore's work but it's quite good too, i find keys a little more heavier in this album...this record is a blast of emotions, the lyrics and the way they're fit into the music is amazing, well i guess DT has that ability of transmiting deep feelings and bringing up stuff in me, but this is another topic hehe...i love myung's trial of tears...another thing i like about this album is for example peruvian skies, it goes through a nice acoustic guitar and it suddenly turns into a metal heavier mood, imo this is one of the best tracks DT's ever written and of course one of the strongest songs in this album...for me, FII's best track is hell's kitchen, once again full of emotions, this is an instrumental masterpiece...BUT on the other side this album has alot of ballads i think they're ok but for me, it's just too much...i often skip a couple of ballads, not because i find them boring or i don't like them, but it's too cheesy for me sometimes...so that's why i voted for images & words hehe...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
16.09.2008 - 17:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Dark Blood on 15.09.2008 at 03:06

I'm not a DT fan, but the album Metropolis pt. 2 means a lot to me, and it's one of the best albums I've heard in my life.

I thought you didn't like them

I'm just messing with you I guess lol
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.09.2008 - 03:46
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by BloodTears on 16.09.2008 at 17:58

Lol. My "relationship" with DT is weird anyway
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
17.09.2008 - 11:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Dark Blood on 17.09.2008 at 03:46

Written by BloodTears on 16.09.2008 at 17:58

Lol. My "relationship" with DT is weird anyway

Well, they have plenty of "babies" to choose from.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.12.2008 - 23:15
trogdizard
Account deleted
It's not really surprising to me that SFAM and IAW are almost tied. Both are groundbreaking, and easy to listen to over and over. But, I've found that it is impossible for me to not listen to SFAM out of order or starting in the middle. It has to be from beginning to end straight through without breaks. Otherwise, I won't enjoy it as much. Maybe I'm just weird. Anyways, here's my top list.

1. Scenes From a Memory
2. Images and Words
3. Octavarium
4. Train of Thought
5. Systematic Chaos
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
7. Awake
8. When Dream and Day Unite
9. Falling Into Infinity (although it had its moments, a major disappointment.)
(Another side note, has anyone but me noticed that Dream Theater is kinda pushing Falling Into Infinity at their audience since it wasn't as well received? Almost all of Live at Budokan was Falling Into Infinity tracks. Besides their Epics that they always play.)
17.12.2008 - 06:50
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 16.12.2008 at 23:15

(Another side note, has anyone but me noticed that Dream Theater is kinda pushing Falling Into Infinity at their audience since it wasn't as well received? Almost all of Live at Budokan was Falling Into Infinity tracks. Besides their Epics that they always play.)

While it was not received well upon initial release it has grown in popularity. Songs like "Hallow Years" and "Peruvian Skies" are extremely popular amongst fans. Sure they played a lot of the album during Budokan but where was it during Metropolis 2000?
----
(space for rent)
17.12.2008 - 19:47
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I know I am a minority, but my favourite DT album is Awake - I find this album as outstanding, Labrie's best vocal performance is here in my opinion (obviously), Kevin Moore was brilliant here, not to mention Petrucci and Portnoy. And not to get bashed for forgetting Myung, the bass-drums rhytms section was great as well.:)
19.12.2008 - 00:02
megatherium
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 17.12.2008 at 06:50

Written by Guest on 16.12.2008 at 23:15

While it was not received well upon initial release it has grown in popularity. Songs like "Hallow Years" and "Peruvian Skies" are extremely popular amongst fans. Sure they played a lot of the album during Budokan but where was it during Metropolis 2000?

True. Point taken.
16.03.2009 - 21:26
Duque
Botero
1. Scenes From A Memory
2. Systematic Chaos
3. Train Of Thougt
4. Images And Words
5. Octavarium
6. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

all are excellent!
17.03.2009 - 00:31
ToMegaTherion
The top two are really no surprise, they both are very good albums as well... along with most of DT's albums to be fair.
My vote must go to Falling to Infinity, I know the band wasn't satisfied and there aren't too many that would agree, but I just can't help but really enjoy this album.
21.08.2009 - 19:29
Panterica
In my opinion Train of Thought is their best album, I like it heavier than the other albums, it reminds me And Justice for All, awake comes right after it and than images.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
22.08.2009 - 04:43
BuzzPhil
Between Octavarium, Train Of Thought, Systematic Chaos and BC&SL...

1st round
Octavarium
Train Of Thought
Systematic Chaos
BC&SL Because it is not on the poll...

2nd round
Octavarium
Train Of Thought Because there not that amount of amazing songs compared to the two others...
Systematic Chaos
BC&SL

3rd round
Octavarium
Train Of Thought
Systematic Chaos Because my personal taste has said so...
BC&SL
01.09.2009 - 03:14
Oric
1. Scenes from a Memory
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Images and Words
4. Train Of Thought
5. Systematic Chaos
6. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
7. Octavarium
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Awake
10. When Dream and Day Unite
01.09.2009 - 21:27
Njord
njord
Order of preference:

1. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
2. Images And Words
3. Awake
4. Falling Into Infinity
5. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
6. When Dream And Day Unite
7. Octavarium
8. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
9. Train Of Thought
10. Systematic Chaos
13.09.2009 - 02:12
Kjaj
Account deleted
1. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
2. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
3. Awake
4. Images And Words 21
5. Train Of Thought
6. Falling Into Infinity
7. Systematic Chaos
8. Octavarium
13.09.2009 - 03:44
Robstar
My favorite is Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory followed by Images and Words and thats It ! Àm Not really into this but Those albums rock!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
29.09.2009 - 14:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I voted for Train of Thought, but if Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was only one disc that contained the best songs from both, I'd probably vote for that instead.
16.12.2009 - 20:09
Donnie Darko
10. Awake
9. Images And Words
8. When Dream And Day Unite
7. Falling Into Infinity
6. Black Clouds And Silver Linings
5. Systematic Chaos
4. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
3. Octavarium
2. Train Of Thought
1. Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
25.04.2010 - 21:39
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Images and words is dream theater at its best labrie's vocals were awesome
----
Stay Metal !!!
09.07.2010 - 01:02
x-avier
1.Awake
2.Images and Words
3.Scenes from a memory
4.Falling into Infintiy
5.When Dream And Day Unite
6.Train of Thought
7.Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
8.Black Clouds and Silver Lightnings
9.Systematic Chaos
10.Octavarium

Awake if for me their best album because its the first album labrie actually contributed on it and kevin moore more mature made the atmoshpere just unique. Also all of the contributed with lyrics and riffs and parts thats why you have from erotomania to space dye vest.