Metal Storm logo
Rat Skates - Thrash Film Released

THRASH METALS' OLD SCHOOL: NEW FILM RELEASED

New Jersey- "Born in The Basement" a documentary from filmmaker/ Overkill founder Rat Skates, will be released on May 12, 2007 by Kundrat Productions

Written and narrated by Skates, this is an autobiographical journey that begins in 1980, when the East Coast of North America experienced a massive culture clash of Punk, Disco, Stoner Music, New Wave and Heavy Metal. Frustrated by this suburban identity crisis and fueled by "The New Wave of British Heavy Metal," a small group of energetic youths was unknowingly creating the most extreme music ever to assault global eardrums - Thrash Metal.

Skates was one of the most recognized pioneers of the movement. This is a drive through his tunnel vision to success, and the philosophy that turned his dreams into reality...THE "DIY" MINDSET!

From milk-crate drum risers to toll-booth advertising and brain-washing girlfriends, this movie boldly goes well behind the scenes, deep into the NY/NJ cover band circuit and pre-digital tape-trading underground to candidly reveal the hidden hurdles that every young musician must jump in the quest for rock stardom, the passion of their vision, and dedication to their family...

Conquering the skeptics and obliterating the odds, this vivid recollection of creating OVERKILL as part of a groundbreaking culture in un-chartered territory is told in true down-to-earth "Old School" spirit. "Born in The Basement" is an inspirational story of perseverance, where his imagination met a desire that turned into obsession...the true, naked secrets of success are exposed, and the realities that eternally haunt it...

The film has been receiving noteworthy acclaim for its candidness: an open, honest, internal assessment of an overlooked time period that began the most significant pivotal point in Metal. Recently, the movie was privately screened by some well-known personnel in the industry: Scott Ian (Anthrax) said, "This looks deep into the scene we came up in and should be required viewing for anyone starting a career in music," while Jay Jay French (Twisted Sister) agrees: "This exposes the deep inner-workings of a musician's vision and dedication, and the dirty little secrets of success in this business for any band, from any genre." Fellow Thrash pioneers Gary Holt (Exodus) and Charlie Benante (Anthrax) both "relived their past?very entertaining and 100% old school." In the re-surfacing of his un-inhibited style, David Ellefson (ex-Megadeth) said, "Rat is a great MC for our community. This is a really ballsy retrospect." Skates and Director Lori DeAngelis-Kundrat combined for an "affectionate and humorous" (Richard Bienstock, Guitar World Magazine), "funny and compelling" (Steven Blush, American Hardcore) combination that Cheetah Chrome (Dead Boys) sums up as "well told, with a lot of heart, and a hell of a lot of fun!"

"Born in the Basement" contains never-before-seen or heard video, music and photos from the personal archives of Skates and Lori DeAngelis-Kundrat; it is packed with a huge variety of rare material from the bands, people and places that are part of this story; never-before seen or heard, anywhere, including a television performance and interview (1985), rough cuts from an aborted documentary (1986), radio interviews (1986), and recent interviews with Riff Thunder (Overkill founding guitarist) and Billy Vector (vocalist
of the Lubricunts)

Read the full reviews, view the trailer, check out some amazing history and purchase the DVD exclusively at www.ratskates.com

Rat has been professionally involved in the filmmaking industry since 1999, writing and producing a wide variety of projects from corporate advertising and television commercials to the performing arts. He has also been working with Director Rick Ernst on the documentary Get Thrashed as Associate Producer since 2004. Lori DeAngelis-Kundrat is a writer and photographer and this film is her debut as a director.

Source: kundrat.com
Posted: 15.05.2007 by Marcel Hubregtse

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 8   Visited by: 0 users
15.05.2007 - 05:06
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I can not wait for this to come out. Much of where this all takes place is where I was born. Glad to see more films about Metal being released.
----
(space for rent)
15.05.2007 - 06:54
jadawal

This seems pretty cool.

See Headbangers journey? It pretty damn sick.
15.05.2007 - 08:03
Carrion
Account deleted
Cool! This could be worth seeing.
15.05.2007 - 08:34
SETHULHU
yogi_lb@hotmail.com
for sure a must see...
----
This site is great. FOR ME TO POOP ON.

reBubblefuckered !!!BAAAALEEETEEED!!!
15.05.2007 - 10:08
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by jadawal on 15.05.2007 at 06:54

This seems pretty cool.

Yeah I saw that at a film festival, it was awesome.
Metal movies are so interesting to watch, especially ones about thrash, because I wasn't around in that time period.
Hope this one is great
15.05.2007 - 10:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Savage Messiah on 15.05.2007 at 10:08

This seems pretty cool.

Metal movies are so interesting to watch, especially ones about thrash, because I wasn't around in that time period.
Hope this one is great

It is very good. But don't expect too much music, there's only a few snippets of music on this dvd.
IMO this dvd is of most interest to people who want to know more about the Do It Yourself Mindset of the thrash movement of the early nineties. About drumkit risers that were built from milk crates. Making your own inlay for cassettes and packaging and sending them around yourself. Pating flyers to tollbooth all across your state yourself etc. etc.

Btw, review of this dvd will be up by the end of the week or early next week.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.05.2007 - 12:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.05.2007 at 10:51

Written by Savage Messiah on 15.05.2007 at 10:08

This seems pretty cool.

Hope this one is great

It is very good. But don't expect too much music, there's only a few snippets of music on this dvd.
IMO this dvd is of most interest to people who want to know more about the Do It Yourself Mindset of the thrash movement of the early nineties. About drumkit risers that were built from milk crates. Making your own inlay for cassettes and packaging and sending them around yourself. Pating flyers to tollbooth all across your state yourself etc. etc.

Btw, review of this dvd will be up by the end of the week or early next week.

Have you seen it

Well in such movie smusic is not immportant, because we all know those bands and probobly all thrashers had those CD, i like in those movies thay show live style, beckstage and such thinks, also alcholol
I hope thay be in some TV like headbager jorney
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.05.2007 - 12:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Of course I have seen it, else I can't review it...

I have it for about two weeks now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 1947 | This month: 3