Album: Sonnborner
Style: Ambient Drone, Doom metal
Release date: September 2018

01. Sonnborner/Aten
02. In The Shadow Of The Wing Of The Thing Too Big To Be Seen
03. Sunwell
04. Stillborn (A Fragment)
05. Sunborn (Coda)

Impossible as it may seem, with over 50 releases under their belt, Nadja sure don't seem to be running out of ideas anytime soon.

Nadja should require little introduction for fans of drone and ambient influenced metal, the duo of Aidan Baker and Leah Buckareff having now established a fine reputation for their myriad combinations of metal with more formless and atmospheric types of music across a considerably bulky discography. At a first impression, this year's Sonnborner doesn't appear to shake things up too significantly. The half hour opening track is more or less business as usual for the band, with its slowly developed, wall of sound approach of heavy guitar feedback topped off by minimal drumming and Baker's trademark, whispered vocals delivery. Coming off as a little more metallic than usual and also featuring the addition of guest violin and cello players, the piece is dense and carries something of a dark, suspenseful aura while still staying true to the typical Nadja sound.

Sonnborner's colossal opener may be a bit deceptive, however, for the remaining 12 minutes or so that follow it see Nadja transitioning into a much harsher, more riff heavy sound that leaves much of their dreamier ambient personality behind. This isn't totally surprising necessarily, as Nadja flirted with a more noisey, structured delivery previously on the Tangled EP, but whereas that release was very sludge influenced, on Sonnborner the band appear to be looking more at industrial music and even potentially hardcore as an influence. The resulting sound is puzzling but enjoyable, being gritty and more metal influenced while still cloaked in an underlying aesthetic distinct to Nadja. This approach also variates surprisingly well given the small fraction of album time during which it actually appears, with some tracks being faster and more aggressive and others having a more doomy, meditative approach while still not losing any of their weight.

If Sonnborner proves anything, it's that Nadja only continue to refine, expand, and experiment with their sound as time goes on, and quite successfully so at that. While I would certainly like to see tracks here like "Sunwell" and "In The Shadow?" expanded into a longer full length release, even if they remain as one shot attempts they're still powerful testament to this duo's ability to incorporate unexpected influences into their music while not compromising the defining aspects of their sound. For that, if for no other reason, they certainly deserve the praise.

Follow on with the evolution.

Written on 08.10.2018 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 65 users
08.10.2018 - 22:56
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Bands while a huge discog are pretty hard to ""penetrate"". Part of me wished Nadja would have a more condensed discog so I could listen to more albums than just Radiance Of Shadows (I did listen to more but that's the only one I keep coming back to). I have yet to check this new one out, but you make it sound worthwhile.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
09.10.2018 - 04:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by RaduP on 08.10.2018 at 22:56

Bands while a huge discog are pretty hard to ""penetrate"". Part of me wished Nadja would have a more condensed discog so I could listen to more albums than just Radiance Of Shadows (I did listen to more but that's the only one I keep coming back to). I have yet to check this new one out, but you make it sound worthwhile.

Don't feel bad, I've been a fan of them for years and have still probably listened to about only 40% of their discography, if that. It's kind of intimidating, but from what I've heard I've really enjoyed Sky Burial, Thaumogenesis, Flipper, and Queller. Queller is especially great if you're looking for a little more structure and a doomier sound
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
09.10.2018 - 19:55
MetalManic
I can't unsee the word SonnBONER....ugggggg. Looking forward to checking these two out.
09.10.2018 - 20:34
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 09.10.2018 at 04:46

Written by RaduP on 08.10.2018 at 22:56

Don't feel bad, I've been a fan of them for years and have still probably listened to about only 40% of their discography, if that. It's kind of intimidating, but from what I've heard I've really enjoyed Sky Burial, Thaumogenesis, Flipper, and Queller. Queller is especially great if you're looking for a little more structure and a doomier sound

I think I heard some of those, might return to them sometime
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
10.10.2018 - 02:14
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by MetalManic on 09.10.2018 at 19:55

I can't unsee the word SonnBONER....ugggggg

I get a boner for Sunn O))), does that count?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.10.2018 - 03:28
MetalManic
Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.10.2018 at 02:14

Written by MetalManic on 09.10.2018 at 19:55

I can't unsee the word SonnBONER....ugggggg

I get a boner for Sunn O))), does that count?

HA!

Hits total: 4542 | This month: 13