01. Storm Of Shadows
02. Black Rain Fell Upon Us
03. Dark Minds With The Devil Play
04. House Of Flesh
05. To Walk In The Realm Of The Dead
06. Sinister & Malevolent
07. Witchcraft
08. The Rite Of Mourning

This album from Corpselium is quite likely going to end up being one of the most overlooked in the metal world for 2018. But I'll be damned if it isn't one most deserving of attention.

The UK's Corpselium are a band shrouded in mystery. At the time of this writing, I've been unable to find any information on their current or past lineups or even on what year they formed. Somehow, however, that sense of mystique and secret keeping appears to mirror the sound of their music perfectly, to the point that one would almost expect no less. At its heart, 2018's Storm Of Shadows is a doom metal album most of all, but it should be said that it features a far deviation from "typical" doom songwriting. In a way this is a release that feels guided more by aesthetic than anything else, in which the overall mood and ambiance created is more important than the lyrics or even the actual notes being played. A rare and bold songwriting technique, it is nonetheless extremely satisfying, for it demonstrates that Corpselium have a considerably high talent for tonal manipulation and atmosphere, a talent that yields quite successful results at that.

Speaking comparatively, the sound on Storm Of Shadows could probably fairly be said to be something of a combination of Blut Aus Nord and Esoteric, in that the wobbly, dissonant songwriting of the former has been fused with the riff heavy, swirling psychedelic approach of the latter. But even that descriptor doesn't really do what Corpselium have created here full justice, for there are still enough differentiators on Storm Of Shadows to make it a completely unique release unto itself. Quite possibly my favorite aspect here would have to be the vocals, delivered in a spooky, chant like, and almost operatic baritone style. Even while being similar to the vocals in some other doom bands like Dark Buddha Rising or Bong, they still have a very particular flair to them that I can't easily say I've heard anywhere else. The delivery on "Black Rain Fell Upon Us" is just excellent.

At the end of the day, Storm Of Shadows is one of those albums that feels first and foremost like an unbroken ritual of sorts. It's not the type of listen that I would recommend starting, stopping, and then coming back to, but is rather best experienced in one immersive, focused full listen. While it conjures thoughts of other bands and will thus likely appeal to fans of those bands, it's still quite difficult to really name any band that Corpselium display an overly strong similarity to. The overall originality of their work here combined with the top of the shelf hypnotism on display with it makes for one delicious, later year highlight for doom metal.

A maelstrom is brewing upon the Great Ocean. Will ye sail?

Written on 13.10.2018 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 149 users
13.10.2018 - 21:56
nikarg

Very good review man, it describes the album in the best way possible since it's a pretty bizarre record. Although I'm not a fan of non-traditional doom, I enjoyed this a lot, especially the vocals are fucking brilliant! Good find mate

edit: comment #1000!
13.10.2018 - 22:08
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by nikarg on 13.10.2018 at 21:56

Very good review man, it describes the album in the best way possible since it's a pretty bizarre record. Although I'm not a fan of non-traditional doom, I enjoyed this a lot, especially the vocals are fucking brilliant! Good find mate

edit: comment #1000!

Yeah I'm digging the hell out of this, the vocals are indeed the biggest selling point for me but there's plenty else that makes it an overall amazing release as well. And thank Joe (Mercurial) actually, he dropped it in the SB a week or two ago as a recommendation and I've just been loving it ever since.

Also congrats on the 1000 comment record
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.10.2018 - 22:15
nikarg

Written by Auntie Sahar on 13.10.2018 at 22:08

And thank Joe (Mercurial) actually, he dropped it in the SB a week or two ago as a recommendation and I've just been loving it ever since.

Thank you Joe
14.10.2018 - 04:55
Rating: 8
Lord Slothrop

I've never heard anything like this. Doomy for sure, but with hints of jazz and psychedelia. And those vocals... it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's a genuine ghost.
14.10.2018 - 13:38
Mercurial

Written by nikarg on 13.10.2018 at 22:15

Thank you Joe

Glad you reviewed this. I think it falls into the Xenward category of being too damn weird for most people to ever know about so the exposure will do it some good.
14.10.2018 - 18:45
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Mercurial on 14.10.2018 at 13:38

Glad you reviewed this. I think it falls into the Xenward category of being too damn weird for most people to ever know about so the exposure will do it some good.

Yeah man, thanks for sharing, it's a goodie for sure! I really wish I could find more info on the band to make their page more complete on here, but like I said though.... at the same time that lack of available info on em sort of feeds well into the creepy, mysterious vibe set by their music
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
15.12.2018 - 05:39
Corpselium

Firstly, thank you so much for the positive review of this album & for the response & comments by the above listeners. I can tell you that "Corpselium" is a one man project, hence the lack of info on the "Band", hope this does not deter your interest. I play all instruments on the album , never considered myself to be a vocalist tho', so it's good to know vocals are liked. For those interested there is a new album penciled in for Feb 2019 called "Fountain of Evil", which will be a free download at "Bandcamp". In answer to one of the comments "yes" I am a Ghost, at least that is the intention .... Always trying to improve, love playing writing & recording,, love experimenting with dark Metal, the darker the better for me, wanted to be original, a bit differn't , the fact that you find it hard to compare the music to others means a lot. Sabbath & (mid) Opeth were an influence, of the new bands "Obscure Sphynx" I like a lot - once again thanks for the interest .... Grim1 (Corpselium)

"Drink full & Descend"
15.12.2018 - 08:00
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Corpselium on 15.12.2018 at 05:39

Firstly, thank you so much for the positive review of this album & for the response & comments by the above listeners. I can tell you that "Corpselium" is a one man project, hence the lack of info on the "Band", hope this does not deter your interest. I play all instruments on the album , never considered myself to be a vocalist tho', so it's good to know vocals are liked. For those interested there is a new album penciled in for Feb 2019 called "Fountain of Evil", which will be a free download at "Bandcamp". In answer to one of the comments "yes" I am a Ghost, at least that is the intention .... Always trying to improve, love playing writing & recording,, love experimenting with dark Metal, the darker the better for me, wanted to be original, a bit differn't , the fact that you find it hard to compare the music to others means a lot. Sabbath & (mid) Opeth were an influence, of the new bands "Obscure Sphynx" I like a lot - once again thanks for the interest .... Grim1 (Corpselium)

Nice of you to drop by and offer some more insight. I'll be looking forward to Fountain Of Evil then, and thank you so much for all the quality, truly haunting work you've delivered thus far
----

~ II. VII
19.12.2018 - 07:36
Corpselium

Many thanks ....
14.08.2019 - 12:58
Corpselium

Just to say that Corpseliums latest album "CASCINOMANCY" is now available for free download at "BANDCAMP" many thanks grim1

Hits total: 3879 | This month: 12