Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Peter Lindgren Leaves; New Guitarist Announced

Opeth And Peter Lindgren Part Ways

Peter Lindgren has stepped down from his guitar wielding duties after 16 years in Opeth. Below is an open letter from Peter addressing the issue:

"It is with sadness I announce that Opeth and I are going separate ways after almost 16 years. The decision has been the toughest I've ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life.

The reason behind this is that I feel that I simply have lost some of the enthusiasm and inspiration needed to participate in a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a world-wide industry. The love of music has always been, and still is, our motive, but I personally have lost something along the way. The massive amount of touring has taken its toll. Opeth has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused. But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don't feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier. I have come to a point where I realize I won't be able to give the band 100%, and from both sides this will not be good enough for what Opeth stands for. I will always love playing, listening to, and living music, but I will do it differently from now on.

These years has easily been the best of my life and I will always cherish the memory of what we have experienced together. I would like to thank the band, our management, record label people, all the bands I've made friends with for everything. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans from the depth of my heart for the support throughout the years.

I wish Mikael, Martin, Per and Axe all the best and I am confident they will continue doing the greatest music in the world!! /Peter"

Replacement Guitarist Announced! Fredrik Åkesson (Ex. Arch Enemy, Krux) Becomes Full Time Member!

Fredrik Åkesson has been confirmed as being the new guitarist in Opeth. Visit his MySpace at: www.myspace.com/kfredrikakesson

Says Mikael Åkerfeldt: "Well, I think it's too soon right now to fully be able to explain what I feel. Peter and I had been working in this band together for almost half of our lives and we shared some unforgettable experiences together all over the world. We will obviously remain friends and this "break up" has been on very good terms from both sides. We all wish him the best of luck with his future ventures!

Fredrik was the only name that popped up thinking about a replacement for Peter. In my opinion he's one of the top 3 guitar players out of Sweden. We all get along great as we've known each other for maybe 4 years + he already has the experience to take on the circus-like lifestyle we lead as members of Opeth.

I can't wait to see what he can bring to the table musically and also to get out on the roads touring together. His first gig will be at the Ilosaari festival in Finland. I'm sure he'll shit his pants before that one, but then again...so will I!"

Source: opeth.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 17.05.2007 by Hyvaarin

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 37   Visited by: 28 users
17.05.2007 - 17:35
domz

NOOOOOOOOOOO? after lopez its peter who leaves... WHY OH WHY???? I just hope this does not affect opeth's music... Peter and mike were the brains of opeth in a sense so I just hope opeth will still release quality music... Will never forget the classic line up mike, peter and the 2 martins... I wish I had seen them live
17.05.2007 - 17:48
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
This is a sad news, I dont like it, but at least it's good to see there is no bad blood, and that this is purely life/musical decsion....
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
17.05.2007 - 17:58
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Too bad, he's a great guitarist and, with Mikael, he was the soul of Opeth... But it's a life decision and I respect him deeply!
Good luck Peter, and the new guitarist Fredrik
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
17.05.2007 - 18:38
Carrion
Account deleted
Good luck for them all, sad that I can't get to Ilosaari.
17.05.2007 - 18:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Dammit Peter, get the hell back in Opeth, quit being dumb.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.05.2007 - 19:37
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Droping like flies. Eh, that is what happens when you go from a cult progdeath band to hosting MTV.
----
(space for rent)
17.05.2007 - 19:39
GodOfBodoM
Account deleted
peter we love you, its sad to see that you livin' but is like you saied its for the good... good luck in normal life...
17.05.2007 - 20:00
jadawal

fuck sakes, this is fucking bullshit, opeth's new album will most definatly not be the same
17.05.2007 - 20:18
iaberis
Advice Troll
Yeah, bad news indeed. It's always bad to see people leaving bands, especially those members that started the whole thing...
----
Bitch! Please
17.05.2007 - 20:26
Ereinion'
Account deleted
This sucks hope that the new guy will be half as good as Peter was.
17.05.2007 - 20:55
Damnated
Churchburner
daaaamn. first lopez now Lindgren. opeth is breaking appart....
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
17.05.2007 - 21:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
this sounds weird. and depressing too. oh well it needs to sink in.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.05.2007 - 21:12
GT
Coffee!!
This is bad news...good luck to Lindgren and to the new guy of course
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.05.2007 - 22:20
Jiri

This sucks, his speech was really emotional. Hope the new guy is as good.
17.05.2007 - 22:23
matzyy
Account deleted
iaberis: It was actually David Isberg who started Opeth, but he quit before their first album in 94.

Very sad though, he and Mikael has done a great job on the lyrics since Orchid, and Opeth won't be the same without him. I wonder what's happening with the new album now?
17.05.2007 - 22:48
reverie14

Oh noooooooooooooo, can't believe it. I'm depressed
18.05.2007 - 00:22
Eleazar

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i want to cry, i don't belive, this band is the best of de universe........ OPETH forever,
18.05.2007 - 01:04
schapboy

it's so damn hurt, after Lopez we will miss Peter, those two guys, with Opeth, tough me how to listning and to play music, they were my fathers, i like them than everything, but now i'm losing them
I love you Opeth
I love you Opeth
I love you Opeth
I love Peter, I will miss to see you in concert do with Mikael the SOLO of beneath the mire with the same frequency.:wall:
----
Don't Believe, Because They Lie
And Don't Love, Because Behind A Mask They Hide
18.05.2007 - 01:50
Bitch Boy

Worst news of the year
18.05.2007 - 03:43
MetalSpider

That sucks...but I guess he has to do what he has to do.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
18.05.2007 - 04:05
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Opeth's music has already changed for the worst [judging by the more recent stuff] anyway . Like they're trying to recruit a different crowd. But yeah........i understand why you lot would be upset, he's one ov the core members.
18.05.2007 - 04:47
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Lindgren is one of my fav guitarists. It's hard to see a guitarist leave from your favorite band, but I guess it has to happen. Oh well, I too wish him luck with his future ventures!
18.05.2007 - 12:41
cruel pain
carpathian flame
good luck 2 da new guitarist...sad news
18.05.2007 - 14:37
Rimfrost

Nooooo! This is not true!! One of my favourite guitarists! I hate to say this, but my expectations of the new album just dropped.
18.05.2007 - 15:08
Slyfang

my favourite guitarist.. leaves one of my favourite bands..

this sucks
18.05.2007 - 15:29
FOOCK Nam

The new one was also from another big shot.
18.05.2007 - 21:24
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Really bad news.

But I hope a good future to this great band.
19.05.2007 - 02:27
Muskot
Account deleted
This is the worst news I've heard in a very long time, but if it's what's best for him and the band, so be it.
19.05.2007 - 11:33
Infurnace

Aah man, that's not cool. Peter, you come back to Opeth right now!
20.05.2007 - 17:55
Philaenas
Account deleted
Can't say I'm too upset. I have faith for the new album.

Hits total: 7658 | This month: 4