Metal Storm logo
Threatin - Fake Band Booked Euro Tour, No One Attended

By now, you might have heard of Threatin, for all the wrong reasons. The Los Angeles metal band has reached viral fame after they scammed venues, faked a label and a fanbase in an elaborate scheme. Jered Threatin is the singer and sole full-time member of the band and he faked his entire online fanbase in order to book a tour in the UK and Europe that no one is showing up to.

Threatin posed as a fake booking agency, Stageright Booking, to contact UK and European venues, sending faked live footage of "packed" shows, with fake comments and bought Youtube views and Facebook likes. Then, the first show happened and there was a problem. Even though the band claimed to have advanced 291 tickets sold, only three people showed up. Venues on the tour included The Underworld in London, Trillians in Newcastle and the Exchange in Bristol.

Threatin was reportedly lying about ticket sales, buying Facebook likes, event RSVPs, and YouTube views, and posing as a nonexistent promoter to con venues into booking him to play and it worked. He hired a backing band and set off on tour.

According to the Underworld, only three people showed up to the show despite the band's agent claiming that they had sold nearly 300 tickets in advance. The same thing happened in Bristol a few days later, with only a few people from the opening band's guest list attending despite 180 tickets supposedly being sold in advance.

When employees of the Bristol venue the Exchange did some digging, the whole scheme unraveled. Everyone listed as attending the shows on Facebook was based in Brazil. All the comments on Threatin's YouTube videos were from phony bot accounts. And to complete the illusion, Threatin apparently filmed interviews with himself and uploaded live clips from more fake accounts showing the band playing to a room packed with fans ? with the band and the crowd never in the same shot.

Sunday night's scheduled Threatin appearance in Belfast was cancelled at the last minute, without explanation. The evening went ahead with appearances by the two support bands who had been arranged to appear locally. The venue said that the booking had been pre-paid by Threatin.

There are still a few shows left on the tour, but it has seemingly now collapsed. The band's Facebook page has been deleted and Threatin's Twitter account is now private. In the meantime, their YouTube page is still up. Maybe this stunt will actually make people listen to the music.

Threatin also established a fake label, Superlative Music Recordings, which, just like the booking agency, exists only on its own pages related to Threatin.

The support acts have been boasting about being part of the experience - Bristol-based artist Sasori, who also drums with the band Kamino, said on social media that he was "feeling pretty special, not everyone gets to say they played on the same bill as Threatin at his sellout show in Bristol".

But the band posted on Facebook, pointing out that Bristol's Exchange venue was "fully staffed with two bouncers on the door expecting to deal with a queue", and that the stunt "has done nothing but fleece several UK venues out of money and time that would be far better spent on genuine artists. People like this deserve to be outed for who they are. Or aren't."

Source: theguardian.com
Posted: 12.11.2018 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 13   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 125 users
12.11.2018 - 18:38
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Looool, this is as funny as the Blake Judd drama.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.11.2018 - 19:41
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Too bad the YouTube comments were disabled, the bot ones were absolutely amazing. Girls claiming to have seen him live and wanting... other stuff. Guess he wrote those as well.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
12.11.2018 - 20:48
FYA
Destroyer
But...why?
12.11.2018 - 21:43
cossaisVendeurs

Shouldn't have reported it. The band will probably start getting legit fans now due to this farce.
12.11.2018 - 21:55
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by cossaisVendeurs on 12.11.2018 at 21:43

Shouldn't have reported it. The band will probably start getting legit fans now due to this farce.

There'll always be morons around. Meanwhile, the more reasonable people will will know to avoid this shit like the plague, which is good.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.11.2018 - 21:57
Rulatore

What the actual fuck
12.11.2018 - 22:29
IBlackened

Now this guy deserves to be royally fucked.
----
Their old stuff is better.
12.11.2018 - 23:22
DeathMetal

Hopefully, this person never receives superpowers.
12.11.2018 - 23:40
Zap
Lol, what a legend.
13.11.2018 - 09:09
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by cossaisVendeurs on 12.11.2018 at 21:43

With a music like that? No.

Actually I'm overestimating people's tastes again.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
13.11.2018 - 12:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by FYA on 12.11.2018 at 20:48

But...why?

Probably to see if he could get away with it. And publicity as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.11.2018 - 18:43
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Cretin.
----
13.11.2018 - 19:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But he made it into Czech mainstream media with that. How many US metal bands can say that?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 2491 | This month: 3