03. Isolation In The Land Of Milk & Honey
04. To: Achlys
05. A World Of Joy
06. Craft Of Mourning
07. Share My Pain
08. Aurum Reclusa
09. A Patient Man
10. The Broken Right Hand Of God

Not often do musicians who were involved in a well esteemed, high quality band that broke up go on to make music up to par with what they did previously after the fact. It's even less likely that they end up making music that surpasses what they did previously. Cult Leader stands today as an example of how such occurrences, while quite rare, still aren't entirely unheard of.

From the ashes of the riproaring Salt Lake City grindcore of Gaza came Cult Leader in 2013, featuring 3/4 of Gaza's final lineup and being as close to a spiritual successor to the band as any. 2018's A Patient Man, the sophomore effort from Cult Leader, continues the path set out by their debut of both tapping into the Gaza legacy while also moving beyond it into a new identity. With Casey Hansen and Michael Mason still handling drum and guitar duty, respectively, the bouncy, sludge-laced hardcore sound that made Gaza so goddamn fun is still more or less intact with Cult Leader, as the powerful opener "I Am Healed" demonstrates. But an added sense of melody and tempo manipulation at the right moments also makes this approach feel considerably different, more mature and multifaceted than what may have been touched upon previously in Gaza.

Violent sludgecore shenanigans aren't all Cult Leader are up to here, however. The band already showed a willingness to experiment with a more atmospheric and relaxed post metal delivery with their debut, but this aspect of their sound, as well as their ability to position it effectively amidst the rest of their chaos, seems to have really been perfected with A Patient Man. After the third track, listeners are treated to a far different mood with "To: Achlys" and "A World Of Joy," one that strips away the aggressive, riff driven delivery in favor of a far more dynamic angle that, while more restrained, is no less dark, brooding, and emotive. This technique is returned to on the final two tracks as well, but the more one listens to A Patient Man the more it becomes clear that Cult Leader took particular care to segue properly from one sound into the other. The shifts into the more ballady post sound from the barelling -core sound and vice versa always follow heavier or lighter moments on their preceding tracks that help to introduce them, making the transitions appear completely natural and not too abrupt.

A Patient Man offers many lessons to take note from. It shows how musicians can effectively start a new band that, while taking a clear influence from what they did previously, also crafts an entirely new persona instead of merely nostalgically rehashing the glory days. It also shows how broad the understanding of "heavy" can be for music, as the lighter side of the album may not be heavy in a violent, assertive sense, but it sure as hell is in an emotional and mesmerizing sense. This is a definite year end highlight for fans of -core, post metal, or just diverse, well paced listening experiences in general.

If you've been being patient, an early holidays reward comes for thee.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 21.11.2018 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 166 users
21.11.2018 - 21:28
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Really great year for hardcore and co.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
21.11.2018 - 21:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 21.11.2018 at 21:28

I need to listen to more grind and hardcore from this year honestly, always feels like with those two there's such a boatload of generic releases and then just a tiny, tiny handful of those like this that truly stick out. You got anything to recommend?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.11.2018 - 00:22
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Auntie Sahar on 21.11.2018 at 21:38

Written by RaduP on 21.11.2018 at 21:28

I need to listen to more grind and hardcore from this year honestly, always feels like with those two there's such a boatload of generic releases and then just a tiny, tiny handful of those like this that truly stick out. You got anything to recommend?

Other than stuff I reviewed like Frontierer, Daughters, Sectioned, Pig Destroyer, Hell To Pay, there's also KEN Mode, The Armed, Cloud Nothings, Idles, Fucked Up and so on
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
22.11.2018 - 04:16
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by RaduP on 22.11.2018 at 00:22

Other than stuff I reviewed like Frontierer, Daughters, Sectioned, Pig Destroyer, Hell To Pay, there's also KEN Mode, The Armed, Cloud Nothings, Idles, Fucked Up and so on

I'm not sure I'd call Daughters hardcore, even if it has that underlying influence. Still a great band and album though. I remember the Hell To Pay album from your review, that one was quite good, and I totally missed that there was a new Pig Destroyer for some reason. The others I'll have to look into

Oh and Vein too, now that I think of it. Decent listen even if not totally mindblowing.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.11.2018 - 09:40
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yes, yes, yes. Beast of an album.
22.11.2018 - 13:44
Mercurial

Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.11.2018 at 04:16

I'm not sure I'd call Daughters hardcore, even if it has that underlying influence. Still a great band and album though. I remember the Hell To Pay album from your review, that one was quite good, and I totally missed that there was a new Pig Destroyer for some reason. The others I'll have to look into

Oh and Vein too, now that I think of it. Decent listen even if not totally mindblowing.

There's been some decent grind this year: Malicious Intent (classic grind from Brazil), The Atrocity Exhibit (ultra-fun punky grind), Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals (if you don't mind Anselmo), Palm (Japanese band), Greber (bass-only sludge / grind), Setsuko (not Japanese screamo / grind), Anal Trump (topical grind), Sistemas de Aniquilación (not grind but as heavy as hardcore punk can get before becoming grind), Suffering Quota (more classic sound but great), Ernia (not out yet but interesting grind with some mild alternative elements), Pink Mass (crusty deathgrind), Wake (just very damn aggressive), Pound (wacky avant-garde grind a bit like PSUDOKU). A few more here and there too. I'd avoid the new Pig Destroyer though, it's more like mediocre metalcore mixed with grind, but you might get more out of it than me.
22.11.2018 - 14:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Mercurial on 22.11.2018 at 13:44

There's been some decent grind this year: Malicious Intent (classic grind from Brazil), The Atrocity Exhibit (ultra-fun punky grind), Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals (if you don't mind Anselmo), Palm (Japanese band), Greber (bass-only sludge / grind), Setsuko (not Japanese screamo / grind), Anal Trump (topical grind), Sistemas de Aniquilación (not grind but as heavy as hardcore punk can get before becoming grind), Suffering Quota (more classic sound but great), Ernia (not out yet but interesting grind with some mild alternative elements), Pink Mass (crusty deathgrind), Wake (just very damn aggressive), Pound (wacky avant-garde grind a bit like PSUDOKU). A few more here and there too. I'd avoid the new Pig Destroyer though, it's more like mediocre metalcore mixed with grind, but you might get more out of it than me.

Getting into grind more in the past year or so I think I either like it to be super groovy and sludge influenced because I just love violent music that's also super catchy, or just really wacky and atypical since you don't often see much experimenting in it to begin with. So of your recs I think I'd most enjoy Greber and Pound, thanks for mentioning. I should check that Anselmo album too, remember VIG raving about it on here a while back. Personality issues aside, the guy can make some pretty good jamz
----

~ II. VII
22.11.2018 - 15:10
Mercurial

Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.11.2018 at 14:42

I should check that Anselmo album too, remember VIG raving about it on here a while back. Personality issues aside, the guy can make some pretty good jamz

It's a pretty sludge-y album too so you might indeed dig it.
26.11.2018 - 15:06
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.11.2018 at 14:42

I should check that Anselmo album too, remember VIG raving about it on here a while back. Personality issues aside, the guy can make some pretty good jamz

Yeah, it is really great. Btw, I love grindcore, I am a huge fan, and I know you are new to it, so I can guide you through the genre. It's hard to get into for most, but it is totally my shit.

Hits total: 4727 | This month: 8