04. Planet of Cockroaches
05. Of Revenge and Glory
06. Ancient Hope (Part 1 - Denial)
07. The City of Evil Ones
08. Final Departure Stamp
09. Deceptive Light
10. Risen
11. The Land of the Free

The Hourglass are a relatively new heavy metal band all the way from Syria. This album, "To The Land Of The Free" being their first full-length album release from back in 2004. The presentation of the album is nice and very professional looking, the booklet especially with all the lyrics and usual information inside.

The two-minute introduction track leads nicely into the first song of the album "Trapped", a mid-tempo song that lets us get used to the sound of the band and their particular style. The band play a bit more of an aggressive form of heavy metal, not too aggressive at all but it has a bit of punch to it, which is always good to hear. You can hear the influence of such bands as Iced Earth or Dio, or maybe even early Helloween in here with the guitar, drums and also singing. As we approach the forth track, "Planet Of Cockroaches" we get to the song with probably the best pace of the album. This track shows us the talent that this band has, thundering drums and wild guitar especially. It shows us a complete and solid band that are so eager to get their music out there and heard by people. "Deceptive Light" is also another track that as soon as it starts grabs your attention with an early "New Wave Of British Heavy Metal" kind of guitar riff.

The production of the album is up to standard, you can clearly hear the vocals, every drum, the bass and of course guitar as you would want to listening to a heavy metal album, it's just maybe it doesn't sound as polished as the albums of most of the bigger names do, but I am sure these guys wont have money to throw around and so have done a brilliant job on the production side.

The main negative things I can think of are that at some points in the album my attention did keep on seeming to wander. Around the middle point in the album mostly with a few tracks over six and eight minutes. This may have been because of a lack of punch in the songs or that they were a bit too long. The singer also has his moments on the album, he definitely can sing but at times especially during the title track of the album he sounds a little unattractive to the ears.

The Hourglass have provided a good, solid first album and have proven that heavy metal is everywhere - Syria is definitely not the first country that comes to mind when you think of heavy metal so it has been a delight hearing something from so far away from where I am and central Europe. This album shows promise for the future of the band indeed.

Written on 18.05.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 26 users
20.05.2007 - 10:06
GT
Coffee!!
Listened to some of the samples on their website and I find it quite good...especially 'Planet Of Cockroaches'
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.05.2007 - 10:16
TheHourglass
Account deleted
amazing to see our review over here

hails
21.05.2007 - 15:00
ZeroCool
Account deleted
Good review...but i still think that Baz should say something about the lyrical theme ...
The Hourglass is a very talented band with a message for the whole world ...*Respect*
the song "Final Departure Stamp" should be remarked here ...(A)
21.05.2007 - 15:22
Rating: 8
ChaosLogic

"To The Land Of The Free" is a gr8 debut ... Working in a Concept album from the very beginning is a big risk but STILL they succeeded ! so every Metal Fan who seek good music and good lyrics this album worth your attention
21.05.2007 - 20:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 21.05.2007 at 10:16

hails

Wooh, I QUOTED a bandmember! I'm so cool!

*Groupies over internet do exist!*

Anyway, never heard of you, The Hourglass, but I am gonna check it out now.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.12.2008 - 04:15
Land Of Doom

Hi For all I write this Comment And I Know its a late time to write this for this album

but I want to say That is a great work from The Horglass To Make The first album

and i think they sing it in a good Performance And They Demonstrate About this in their new album

At last I want to say Iam broud to be syrian Because I hear a Heavy metal band in my country
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
02.12.2010 - 15:54
JD
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 21.05.2007 at 20:51

Written by Guest on 21.05.2007 at 10:16

hails

Wooh, I QUOTED a bandmember! I'm so cool!

*Groupies over internet do exist!*

lol

Hits total: 3638 | This month: 4