N/A

11 users:
Band: Voidsphere
Album: To Await / To Expect
Style: Atmospheric black metal
Release date: November 2018

01. The Void Awaits
02. The Void Expects

It's ya boys Fallen Empire Records releasing another atmospheric black metal album with "void" in its name. Time for a cosmic journey.

It was around August that Fallen Empire Records announced that they would cease their activities by the end of the year, which is a real shame, since they were producing a lot of amazing cosmic black metal (like check out that Mahr album I reviewed), but before that happens they'd be releasing a few more albums. One of them is this Voidsphere record, their second so far. And just like Mahr, Voidsphere is also part of the Prava Kollektiv, along with Arkhtinn as well. We don't know much about them; we just know they make similar kinds of black metal and they share some members to an unknown extent. So let's talk about To Await / To Expect (it was originally a "|" instead of a "/", but that would fuck up the website coding).

As can be guessed by a band with "void" in it's name, the music is incredibly atmospheric and raw. Even rawer than Mahr's Antelux, especially as far as guitars and drums are concerned, but those are pushed more to the ambiance-creating background, since this album's instrument(s) of focus is/are the synths that create an incredibly glacial and hypnotic feeling; these three instruments constantly change focus to emphasize a different side of the ambiance, but more often than not, the synths are up front. Vocals, though - those are always drowned-out and linger under the music.

With two 20-minute-long tracks and their repetitive nature of atmosphere-building, it's not hard to see why this would come off as too monotonous, but To Await / To Expect and its shifts of focus are done well enough to avoid that. And just like with the previous release, these really long songs take the two verbs in the title of the album to describe what the void does, like the last record told us that the void calls and speaks, so with future releases we might find out more about the void, with songs like "The Void Abuses Alcohol As An Unhealthy Coping Mechanism" or "The Void Wishes His Ex Would Let Him See The Kids", but so far ambiguous one-word verbs give the music a much more mysterious feel.

Voidsphere is indeed very similar to other bands in the collective, but does its own atmosphere in a rawer and more heterogeneous and interchanging form that sets it apart from its peers. And as with those, the journey can be taken for name-your-price here.

Written on 05.12.2018 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 79 users
05.12.2018 - 13:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Thanks for a good review and reminding me I need to revisit this one. Heard bits and pieces of it browsing around the other week and should really give it a full listen. What I heard was quite impressive indeed.

Also, regarding the end of Fallen Empire... could be both a blessing and a curse. Shame to have such a good label bite the dust, but keep in mind that they're also the "parent label" of Mystiskaos, so the absence of Fallen Empire will inevitably lead to (as Alex Poole kinda implied in our interview) the collective having to take more production and distribution responsibilities upon itself, which could lead to more expansion, releases, etc.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.12.2018 - 13:45
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.12.2018 at 13:41

Also, regarding the end of Fallen Empire... could be both a blessing and a curse. Shame to have such a good label bite the dust, but keep in mind that they're also the "parent label" of Mystiskaos, so the absence of Fallen Empire will inevitably lead to (as Alex Poole kinda implied in our interview) the collective having to take more production and distribution responsibilities upon itself, which could lead to more expansion, releases, etc.

Yeah, I'm really curious how Mys will evolve from now on, especially about that Guðveiki thing
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
02.01.2019 - 13:15
nikarg

Quote:
And just like with the previous release, these really long songs take the two verbs in the title of the album to describe what the void does, like the last record told us that the void calls and speaks, so with future releases we might find out more about the void, with songs like "The Void Abuses Alcohol As An Unhealthy Coping Mechanism" or "The Void Wishes His Ex Would Let Him See The Kids", but so far ambiguous one-word verbs give the music a much more mysterious feel.

LMAO

I listened to it last night after having consumed enormous amounts of alcohol and other stuff and liked it much. I listened to it again twice today (back to back) and liked it even more. Very atmospheric and engaging. I hate you because now I need to check out this Mahr album and I really wanted and intended to put all 2018's albums to rest.

And I also have to see if the void was equally good when it called / spoke.
02.01.2019 - 13:21
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 02.01.2019 at 13:15

Quote:
And just like with the previous release, these really long songs take the two verbs in the title of the album to describe what the void does, like the last record told us that the void calls and speaks, so with future releases we might find out more about the void, with songs like "The Void Abuses Alcohol As An Unhealthy Coping Mechanism" or "The Void Wishes His Ex Would Let Him See The Kids", but so far ambiguous one-word verbs give the music a much more mysterious feel.

LMAO

I listened to it last night after having consumed enormous amounts of alcohol and other stuff and liked it much. I listened to it again twice today (back to back) and liked it even more. Very atmospheric and engaging. I hate you because now I need to check out this Mahr album and I really wanted and intended to put all 2018's albums to rest.

And I also have to see if the void was equally good when it called / spoke.

Screw you, January/February is all about listening to 2018 albums you skipped. That's why the MSAs exist.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 3010 | This month: 5