03. Astorolus - The Great Octopus [feat. Tony Iommi]
04. Bridge Of The Blind
05. Death's Wheel
06. Black Trinity
07. House Of Doom
08. The Omega Circle

The Best Doom Metal Album Of 2019

Additional info
Produced by Marcus Jidell. Written by Leif Edling.
Guest Musician:
Tony Iommi on "Astorolus - The Great Octopus"

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
N/A
Reunion albums always have a lot of pressure on them. Whether they sound like the original or not, it will never be the same. So now that Candlemass have reunited with the Epicus Doomicus Metallicus vocalist, all eyes are on them.

Read more ››
published 14.02.2019 | Comments (7)

Found in 32 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 664 users
06.12.2018 - 19:18
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"The manifestation of pure doom metal!
CANDLEMASS have come full circle: their first singer Johan Langquist (who left the band after singing on the legendary 1986 debut Epicus Doomicus Metallicus) has returned! Now, the epic doom metal veterans announce their 12th full length album The Door to Doom! The album will be released February 22nd via Napalm Records.

The Door To Doom unsurprisingly follows the plotline mastermind, songwriter and bass player Leif Edling established in the past years: epic world class doom metal that relies on slow mammoth riffing. With Johan Langquist's highly dramatic vocal style and the love for details, the band made this album to the next "Epicus". This masterpiece is rounded off by a beautiful guest appearance by none other than Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi on 'Astorolus - The Great Octopus.'

Tony Iommi on his appearance:
"Candlemass are a major force in Scandinavian heavy rock and have always acknowledged the influence we had on their music. They asked if I'd contribute to a track which sounded pretty good so I thought 'why not' ".

Leif Edling states:
"We feel very honoured that Tony Iommi said yes to play the solo on ASTOROLUS. The song was sent to the management and amazingly enough, the master agreed to let his mighty SG sing on the track! For me personally this is a dream come true. Tony Iommi has always been my hero and guiding light when it comes to heavy music, so to hear that he likes the song and also would like to play on it, gave me chills down the spine! I'm still in shock! But kudos to him to be so cool to even listen to it. Hats off! Tony Iommi is and will always be God!"

Damn, this is just too epic for me to handle.
06.12.2018 - 23:04
Mercurial

Getting big names in just to do a solo always makes me chuckle.
06.12.2018 - 23:14
JoHn Doe

^
Tony Iommi invited his friend Brian May to do a solo on the album Headless Cross. (When Death Calls)
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
26.01.2019 - 03:36
Rating: 9
Pelcu

And I'm missing voice of Robert Lowe... Where is he?!
----
Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
19.02.2019 - 18:13
Rating: 7
Deviant

Judging by the 3 songs I've heard, I like it so far. Of course Johan is no Messiah, or Lowe, but I do like him, and prefer him to Mats Leven.
20.02.2019 - 10:11
Daniell
_爱情_
There's too much Crux in this Candlemass.
20.02.2019 - 15:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deviant on 19.02.2019 at 18:13

Judging by the 3 songs I've heard, I like it so far. Of course Johan is no Messiah, or Lowe,

Indeed he isn't, he is better than those two
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2019 - 17:25
Deviant

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.02.2019 at 15:55

Judging by the 3 songs I've heard, I like it so far. Of course Johan is no Messiah, or Lowe,

Hehe. OK then.... let's just agree to strongly disagree.

BUT... I will admit that even though I like Messiah and Lowe more as vocalists, Johan's voice is probably a better fit for Candlemass. I do like Johan a lot. He is very doom.
20.02.2019 - 18:07
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Sounds like Krux, not a complain because we didn't have a new album from them in a while.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.02.2019 - 12:31
Daniell
_爱情_

It depends what you mean. When it comes to vocal range and singing prowess, both Lowe and Marcolin are superior. When it comes to conveying emotions, Lanquist comes out on top.

Also, I'm sad to say that the way he sings on this new album is very much different from his Epicus performance. There's not nearly enough emotions in his singing. His performance is a letdown.
22.02.2019 - 00:46
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Daniell on 21.02.2019 at 12:31

the way he sings on this new album is very much different from his Epicus performance.

indeed

Written by Daniell on 21.02.2019 at 12:31

There's not nearly enough emotions in his singing. His performance is a letdown.

disagree

Sounds a lot like Doomsday Kingdom, to me
22.02.2019 - 01:03
JoHn Doe

Written by SaadIchig on 22.02.2019 at 00:53

Not good 😢

do you know how ratings work? If you had paid attention, you would have noticed that "not good" means "5".

to rate a Candlemass album a 2 (meaning " pure shit") is ridiculous.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
22.02.2019 - 16:41
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by JoHn Doe on 22.02.2019 at 01:03

Written by SaadIchig on 22.02.2019 at 00:53

Not good 😢

do you know how ratings work? If you had paid attention, you would have noticed that "not good" means "5".

to rate a Candlemass album a 2 (meaning " pure shit") is ridiculous.

Exactly. A 2 rating would mean there are serious musical problems like drums that don't keep time or something 😂
22.02.2019 - 21:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Awesome, I like it, I hope radu is strong in opposition and this will be nominated to best doom album. Its awesome, not as old candlemass, but basically good professional doom song writing, riffs, idea. Listen once and you stick whit ir, its good one, I think it will be remembered, maybe best Candlemass album after Messia left. Maybe one of best doom albums in a decades, I like Johan Längqvist here. Its hard to tell it was he in 1th album. Its amazing peace.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.02.2019 - 22:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Btw does anybody can tell in that picture in the car, who is who? from right is Mats Björkman, Leif Edling, then?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.02.2019 - 23:08
Rating: 10
CurseTheSky

Thomas Vikstrom was better than all of them.

Anyway, this is probably my favourite Candlemass album since Chapter VI
24.02.2019 - 06:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by CurseTheSky on 23.02.2019 at 23:08

nope. was alright but inferior to all the others.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.02.2019 - 15:41
Deviant

Written by CurseTheSky on 23.02.2019 at 23:08

I liked Vikstrom too, but even more strongly disagree with that statement.

I have liked all of their vocalists though, I even liked Flodkvist. The only time I thought the vocals were bad was back when they were called Nemesis when Leif Edling did vocals. Now that was bad.
01.03.2019 - 08:43
JoHn Doe

I enjoyed it on first listen, needs more listens. Loved the vocals.
----
05.03.2019 - 13:28
Rating: 8
The Melting Snow

I'm enjoying this one quite a lot.

and boy is Lars Johansson an underrated guitarist. He's been throwing some really cool riffs and solos for years but I've never heard people sing his praises. The guitarwork is one of the major reasons I'm enjoying this album so much
07.03.2019 - 02:40
Rating: 8
tominator
At best deranged
It's an overall solid record. Nothing that really stood out to me but neither did I really find something that detracted from the overall quality of the record.

An enjoyable listen.
01.04.2019 - 11:40
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
After hearing nothing of Langquist's for 30 years and still expecting him to sound the same as he did on Epicus, I was disappointed with the vocals. Bit with the music, too. Stupid high expectations.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.12.2019 - 15:45
Zap
Revisiting this for the first time since March I think. Pretty good actually. I didn't have high expectations but this is definitely one of the better later-era Candlemass releases.

The Omega Circle has the most unnecessary outro I've ever heard though. Great song, but when it ended you didn't have to add another random riff, guys.
07.12.2019 - 17:09
nikarg

Written by Bad English on 23.02.2019 at 22:51

Btw does anybody can tell in that picture in the car, who is who? from right is Mats Björkman, Leif Edling, then?

From right to left: Jan Lindh, Leif Edling, Johan Längqvist, Mats Björkman, Lars Johansson.
28.02.2020 - 04:59
tintinb

Sounds like a Dio-esque Black Sabbath album. Black Trinity is the height of the album.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 8621 | This month: 34