03. Master Of Evil
04. Live To Ride
05. Vampire
06. Hurricane
07. So Beautyful
08. Little Devil
09. Rock n' Roll Hell
10. Angel

In 2005, I wrote the review of the first album of a cool Hard Rock combo from France, Fiinky Pie. This album was really promising even if all in all, it lacked a bit of personality. But it was a first album yes and two years later the band is back with a second release "Rust". Not need to wait anymore to say that it's clearly better and "Rust" confirms all the good things that I thought about the band.

Fiinky Pie still plays Hard Rock but it's obvious that the guys and gal (the band changed some of their members lately) chose to add something more to their music. If "Free & Wild" was a bit classic and felt a bit into some clichés, "Rust" is different with a lot more of personality and maturity. Now the band still plays Hard Rock but the melodies are darker and a lot more Thrashy. Even if the band claims that they're still a bit Glam I can tell you that some of the riffs are not so far away of Metallica with their Black album. I like it, "Rust" is a lot more charismatic and since that the melodies are good and catchy, since that the performance of the musicians is really nice and since that we have great guitars soli, it's hard to criticize the release. Even if the band plays an "old school" music they sound modern and for me it means that they understood how Hard Rock has to be today if they want to encounter success.

The production of the new Fiinky Pie is good without being fantastic too. Sometime the sound of the instruments seems to be a bit weak but it's not bad at all, it's just not a pure perfection. At the opposite the cover is really great and fits perfectly to the music of the band. Also, even if we have ten songs, the length of the release, only 39 minutes, is a bit short but the good point at least is that I didn't have any feeling of boredom while I listened to the release. It was just too short, and it probably means that the songs are good and never boring.

If you like Hard Rock with big balls (a bit like with Ugly Kid Joe), "Rust" is highly recommended for you. It's not violent but super melodic and it's Thrashy! And you know what? it works really well! With this new step in its musical orientation I'm sure that Fiinky Pie will find success, so don't be the mast one that will discover them.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 21.05.2007

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 5 users
21.05.2007 - 17:16
Eight
Shapeshifter
Nice review man, i checked them out, great music they have and i liked the passive vocals where can i download them, couldn't find.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."

Hits total: 2945 | This month: 6