04. 30 Red Houses
05. A Thousand Witches
06. Your Future Cartoon
07. The Postman Is Singing
08. The Bench And The Fetch
09. The Kettle's On
10. Fair Weather
11. The Milkmaid Sings

2019 is now upon us, but before we truly embark, let's talk about why 2018 was a significant year for neofolk, one other distant relative of metal.

There's Current 93...

Neofolk is mostly known as that ominous acoustic guitar genre, but going back to the early 80s, a lot of the bands that spearheaded the genre were going closer to either post-punk or industrial. While Death In June and Sol Invictus were more of the former, Current 93 were heavy on the latter. The band's central figure, David Tibet, has been 'baptized' this name by Genesis P-Orridge, who you may know as the central figure of Industrial godfathers Throbbing Gristle. He also frequently collaborated with another industrial giant, Nurse With Wound. Slowing steering away from industrial territories into folkier ones, Current 93 has created an immense and diverse discography, so immense that one should not be ashamed to have second thoughts about diving in. But worry not, The Light Is Leaving Us All is a pretty good place to start.

I don't really speak from a position of much knowledge on Current 93's music, since their huge discography and their somewhat odd sound have been somewhat impenetrable. They released three albums this... I mean... last year, one of them a collaboration with avant-jazz band Zu, and none of them sound like one another too much. Despite Current 93 being somewhat the least popular of the big daddies of neofolk, they have the most ardent and religious following, and it's not hard to see why, with David Tibet being such a figure that evokes a mythical feeling, feeling less like a singer or even a poet and more like a prophet. You'll notice his vocals aren't bad per say, but... they're not exactly what you'd expect from a singer. Somebody wiser than me compared his performance to an NPC in some olden medieval RPG.

The Light Is Leaving Us All is one of his most concise and focused of the albums he released lately (at least the ones I've heard). More focused on the folkier side and the apocalyptic and magical vibe that it emits rather than overly experimental, the album is also revolving around its titular phrase, which you'll hear sung and whispered throughout the album quite a lot of times. Along with the repetition there's the usual lyrical tropes of horses, witches, and birds that have been found numerous times before in Tibet's music. The heavy repetition, reused themes and straightforward sound do make the album feel somewhat less significant in a discography spanning nearly four decades. But you and I probably have the privilege of not being overly saturated on Tibet's ramblings, thus as long as we suppress our disbelief, we can immerse ourselves in a truly hypnotic album. Because Tibet feels hypnotized too, he isn't inducing the spell, he is sharing it. Also we would be missing the absolutely nightmarish and tense buildup of "The Postman Is Singing", which does give me certain vibes I've felt before when listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Swans.

It's clear that The Light Is Leaving Us All isn't just an effortless and passionless "another release in the discography" as it still feels as strong as some of Current 93's best folk work, but thankfully it did not get totally drowned in the massive discography, at least not yet. The Light Is Leaving Us All is a clear example of why Current 93 is the most unique of the neofolk bands, so let it leave you too.

...And there was also Sol Invictus.

Written on 04.01.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 39 users
05.01.2019 - 15:36
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Why do y'all ignore this
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.01.2019 - 18:22
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by RaduP on 05.01.2019 at 15:36

Why do y'all ignore this

Maybe, because it is...
...too irrelevant to even bother?

I appreciate your effort of reviewing this, but in my opinion this album is not striking enough for praise nor too bad to really complain.
I usually don't skip tracks searching for that single odd or outstanding song that could make a difference - if there is one. But this made me even fast-forward every song inbetween, searching for that single moment grasping my attention. All I heard was a meandering nothingness without any climax. The vocals didn't impress me, too. Most of the time, they are somewhere between tolerable and okay but sometimes they are just plain disturbing.

Don't get me wrong, in the right mood this could as well serve as tolerable background music. But I am missing something that made me think "Wow, that's nice!".
I know this is ment to be profound, "deep" music and maybe I am just not the right person catching it. My only deep thought listening to this was that I still had to clean the fridge and that's what I did.
----
signatures = SPAM
06.01.2019 - 18:41
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Starvynth on 06.01.2019 at 18:22

Why do y'all ignore this

Maybe, because it is...
...too irrelevant to even bother?

I appreciate your effort of reviewing this, but in my opinion this album is not striking enough for praise nor too bad to really complain.
I usually don't skip tracks searching for that single odd or outstanding song that could make a difference - if there is one. But this made me even fast-forward every song inbetween, searching for that single moment grasping my attention. All I heard was a meandering nothingness without any climax. The vocals didn't impress me, too. Most of the time, they are somewhere between tolerable and okay but sometimes they are just plain disturbing.

Don't get me wrong, in the right mood this could as well serve as tolerable background music. But I am missing something that made me think "Wow, that's nice!".
I know this is ment to be profound, "deep" music and maybe I am just not the right person catching it. My only deep thought listening to this was that I still had to clean the fridge and that's what I did.

I could understand why this would not be for anybody, but im glad you gave it a shot. Current 93 are really hard to get into and they havent clicked with me entirely either. The one track i really liked and I think you should relisten to is "The Postman Is Singing".

But the only reason I commented that is because threads need to have at least one comment before you can see how many users visited them and both of my other reviews had one and I wanted to see if the circular linking was effective.
----
06.01.2019 - 19:06
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by RaduP on 06.01.2019 at 18:41

I could understand why this would not be for anybody, but im glad you gave it a shot. Current 93 are really hard to get into and they havent clicked with me entirely either. The one track i really liked and I think you should relisten to is "The Postman Is Singing".
[...]

You are absolutely right, I'm not that deep into Neofolk. But a couple of years ago, I pretty much liked the first three albums of :Of The Wand And The Moon: and your review sounded quite promising, so I gave it a try. I'm neither disappointed nor excited. Basically, I got what I expected.

Thanks for your recommendation, will dedicate this track some more attention again.
----
signatures = SPAM
06.01.2019 - 21:59
nikarg

Why do y'all ignore this

Bow and respect for doing these three man. The last time I listened to Current 93 must have been in the early '90s, I may have a cassette or two gathering dust somewhere.
06.01.2019 - 22:06
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 06.01.2019 at 21:59

Why do y'all ignore this

Bow and respect for doing these three man. The last time I listened to Current 93 must have been in the early '90s, I may have a cassette or two gathering dust somewhere.

Keep them for cred points

there's a lot of interesting C93 stuff from the mid 90s onwards, but im still barely getting into them. I might write a Getting Into article on them in like 10 years
----
06.01.2019 - 22:12
nikarg

Written by RaduP on 06.01.2019 at 22:06

there's a lot of interesting C93 stuff from the mid 90s onwards, but im still barely getting into them. I might write a Getting Into article on them in like 10 years

I think I preferred Death In June between the two, but I really don't remember much of either anymore.
06.01.2019 - 22:24
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 06.01.2019 at 22:12

Written by RaduP on 06.01.2019 at 22:06

I think I preferred Death In June between the two, but I really don't remember much of either anymore.

Once the MSA is over, time for you to correct that
----
12.01.2019 - 19:23
Rating: 8
Gesualdo

Great album with lots of interesting ideas, instrumentation and overall concept.

Most of all, I love how David Tibet can sing the album´s title in so many multiple ways again and again throughout the whole album...
30.05.2019 - 09:16
Rating: 10
Gaffprone

This is a solid album reminiscent at times of Baalstorm Sing Omega and Island. But tighter, and better.

To the reviewer:
Good write up but I would have to challenge the suggestion that "witches" is a trope that has been found "numerous times before in Tibet's music". (Broken) birds, yes. Horses, for sure. Witches? No. I cannot in fact think of a single album where witches are mentioned save this one.

Nitpicking, but I think fair criticism because there are certain connotations to go along with the suggestion that for me would not at all rep what C93 were ever about. (Don't ask me to suggest I ever knew what they were about, just what they were not about, eg witches.)
30.05.2019 - 09:49
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Gaffprone on 30.05.2019 at 09:16

This is a solid album reminiscent at times of Baalstorm Sing Omega and Island. But tighter, and better.

To the reviewer:
Good write up but I would have to challenge the suggestion that "witches" is a trope that has been found "numerous times before in Tibet's music". (Broken) birds, yes. Horses, for sure. Witches? No. I cannot in fact think of a single album where witches are mentioned save this one.

Nitpicking, but I think fair criticism because there are certain connotations to go along with the suggestion that for me would not at all rep what C93 were ever about. (Don't ask me to suggest I ever knew what they were about, just what they were not about, eg witches.)

Fair, you probably know Tibet's work better than I do
----

Hits total: 4758 | This month: 20