02. I Cum Blood
03. Addicted To Vaginal Skin
04. Split Wide Open
05. Necropedophile
06. The Cryptic Stench
07. Entrails Ripped From A Virgin's Cunt
08. Post Mortal Ejaculation
09. Beyond The Cemetary

I don't know how much credibility a band can have if they make an album that's packed with lyrics that talk about raping dead girls, or about smashing some random guy's face with a hammer. Now the most popular Cannibal Corpse song rest in this album along with the bloodiest lyrics in their history.

This album is at least more technical than "Butchered At Birth" and "Eaten Back To Life" the music here is a little more complex and better elaborated, the effort is shown in songs like "Hammer Smashed Face"(cannibal Corpse most popular song) with maddening and unforgettable riffs, a crushing bass playing, and incredibly fast drumming. and "I Cum Blood" showing incredible pulsations, here the guitars are no longer played arbitrarily like in "Eaten Back To Life" where the guitar sounded incredibly poor with no textures or good difficult solos.

The high points in "Tomb Of The Mutilated" are, the music as I said before this album has much better musical compositions and a great playing endeavor, the good production and the technical execution are also great in this album, the low points are the lyrics that always talk about the same thing either blood or guts over and over again, the artwork is similar in every cannibal corpse album, and the vocals that are incredibly impenetrable(I'm not sure if that's a high point or a low point).

Tomb Of The Mutilated is a high-quality album in general, really one of the greatest albums in Cannibal Corpse history and maybe in Death Metal history too, but don't let anyone trick you by saying that Cannibal Corpse are The gods of Death Metal because that duty was given a long time ago to the most experimental band in this genre Death.

Written by Herzebeth | 29.07.2004

Guest review by
Darth Revan
Rating:
"This next song, is about shooting blood out of your cock!" - Ah, George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher makes sure you're well prepared for a truly deep analysis of the human psyche in the live version of "I Cum Blood". But if I drop the sarcasm for one moment, you'd think that reviewing ANY Cannibal Corpse album at this point would be completely and utterly redundant. Well, I actually decided to review Tomb of the Mutilated because I felt that I actually had a somewhat original take on it, namely because this is the first Cannibal Corpse album I've ever listened to.

Read more ››
published 16.02.2014 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 28   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 245 users
23.05.2007 - 10:12
Breed-Dreader

i love death but they arnt true death metal.
23.05.2007 - 21:15
Herzebeth

Written by Breed-Dreader on 23.05.2007 at 10:12

then what are they?
----
23.05.2007 - 21:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Dark Ambient. Or was it Symphonic Gothic?

Or was it DEATH METAL?!?!?!?!?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.05.2007 - 06:44
Breed-Dreader

Written by Herzebeth on 23.05.2007 at 21:15

Written by Breed-Dreader on 23.05.2007 at 10:12

then what are they?

Technical Thrash
24.05.2007 - 06:46
Breed-Dreader

Its funny to me how a band can lose so much of its luster....by just saying it isnt Death Metal. its like "ok their pussys"
24.05.2007 - 19:10
Rating: 9
Sunioj

I definetly dont see them as tech thrash..they have alot of thrash influences in their first and second album, but its not like death will be on the same level of brutality as CC in terms of "true death metal", death IMo is more melodic.
26.05.2007 - 08:16
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
@Breed-Dreader - Cannibal Corpse is death metal you silly little mongeloid.
27.05.2007 - 19:02
Breed-Dreader

grrr
haha their gothic thrash industrial
long live pussy rock!!!!!!
27.05.2007 - 19:04
Breed-Dreader

Written by Dangerboner on 26.05.2007 at 08:16

@Breed-Dreader - Cannibal Corpse is death metal you silly little mongeloid.

i was saying Death arnt not CC
btw arnt CC kinda Grindcorish
27.05.2007 - 23:29
Stigmatized
Grindcore? I've always seen Cannibal Corpse as straight-up death metal.
28.05.2007 - 03:42
Herzebeth

Cannibal Corpse is just Death Metal, how come people is labeling them in other stuff here? lol
----
08.06.2007 - 08:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
CC not death metal?!

....10 minutes later I get up from rolling around on the ground laughing.

Nice review by the way, I wouldve rated it a little lower but you do bring up some good points.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.03.2008 - 06:34
Rating: 7
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
beside this album really is more technical than the previous, i didnt like when CC is ''technical'', the style of the two first albums are better in my opinion. But this one has some good songs too, like Hammer Smash Face and Necropedophily (these lyrics sure are horrid )
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.03.2008 - 16:48
theflyingmachine

Funny that this review was revived because I've had Post Mortal Ejaculation stuck in my head all day (that doesn't sound right). Anyways, I think that about 4 or 5 songs on this CD are just amazing, while about 2 or 3 are OK and the remaining songs are more or less filler. Though that could probably be said for all CC albums, the discrepancy between the best and the remaining songs seems to be more pronounced than on the later albums.
16.04.2008 - 15:56
lenesu

I think Breed-Dreader said that CC is not Death Metal because CC really suck
17.04.2008 - 02:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
But still, how does that not make them death metal? YOU'RE A SILLY LITTLE MONGOLOID TOO
02.07.2008 - 20:30
Hamird
Lieutenant
This album is good; of course this album includes their live-legendary song "Hammer Smashed Face" . I still think that Chris Barnes done the songs better than same songs which are done by Fisher!
04.08.2008 - 17:24
theflyingmachine

Written by Guest on 03.08.2008 at 03:33

Now, I'm a Cannibal Corpse fan and I appreciate my share of Death Metal, but I'm listening to "Hammer Smashed Face" as I type this and it makes me wonder......how did this song become popular? It's fuckin' lame. It's bland and uninspired. How does it stand out on this album much less their entire discography?

Anyways, good review.

I think the fact that Hammer Smashed Face is brutal and catchy is what made it so well known. It is a great song, but I also agree that there are better songs in their discography, as well as a couple tracks from ToTM which I prefer.

But, that is one thing that has always annoyed me about CC albums (moreso in the Corpsegrinder era). The first song is always simple and catchy, and obviously intended by the band to be concert material. But, there are almost always at least a couple songs on the album which are superior in quality. The best example of this IMO is Vile...Devoured by Vermin is an ok song but somewhat repetitive and inferior to at least 6 or 7 songs on the album.
01.10.2010 - 03:11
Mad Mike

Written by theflyingmachine on 04.08.2008 at 17:24

Written by Guest on 03.08.2008 at 03:33

Now, I'm a Cannibal Corpse fan and I appreciate my share of Death Metal, but I'm listening to "Hammer Smashed Face" as I type this and it makes me wonder......how did this song become popular? It's fuckin' lame. It's bland and uninspired. How does it stand out on this album much less their entire discography?

Anyways, good review.

I think the fact that Hammer Smashed Face is brutal and catchy is what made it so well known. It is a great song, but I also agree that there are better songs in their discography, as well as a couple tracks from ToTM which I prefer.

But, that is one thing that has always annoyed me about CC albums (moreso in the Corpsegrinder era). The first song is always simple and catchy, and obviously intended by the band to be concert material. But, there are almost always at least a couple songs on the album which are superior in quality. The best example of this IMO is Vile...Devoured by Vermin is an ok song but somewhat repetitive and inferior to at least 6 or 7 songs on the album.

The biggest reason why HSF is so popular (other than being a kickass song of course ) is because it was the song they played in their Ace Ventura cameo.

BTW... another example would be the Wretched Spawn, Decency Defied is the live staple, but Frantic Disembowelment, the title track, festering in the crypt, and Severed Head Stoning are much better songs, especially Frantic Disembowelment!

Anyways, this album is definitely one of my favourites... the artwork is just...well...arousing!:lol:
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
01.10.2010 - 13:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Mad Mike on 01.10.2010 at 03:11
The biggest reason why HSF is so popular (other than being a kickass song of course )

Nope, it sounds flat and boring.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.10.2010 - 09:32
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
This album NAILS!!!
08.03.2011 - 18:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
"I don't know how much credibility a band can have if they make an album that's packed with lyrics that talk about raping dead girls, or about smashing some random guy's face with a hammer"
why would you NOT listen to that? HAHAHA
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.07.2012 - 20:15
Oaken
Hipster
Sounds very, very flat, boring and devoid of any musical feeling. Yet the lyrics pack quite a punch.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
08.07.2012 - 01:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Oaken on 07.07.2012 at 20:15
...devoid of any musical feeling.

You can't expect bands like Cannibal Corpse to deliver in the atmosphere department or challenge your ability to decipher technicality in music... it's meant to be a straightforward carnal assault. Something meant purely for moshing or headbanging.

Not that I'm saying this is any kind of masterpiece. I just think maybe you went in expecting something different than what Cannibal Corpse have to offer and judged it negatively as a result.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.07.2012 - 01:32
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.07.2012 at 01:24

Written by Oaken on 07.07.2012 at 20:15
...devoid of any musical feeling.

You can't expect bands like Cannibal Corpse to deliver in the atmosphere department or challenge your ability to decipher technicality in music... it's meant to be a straightforward carnal assault. Something meant purely for moshing or headbanging.

Not that I'm saying this is any kind of masterpiece. I just think maybe you went in expecting something different than what Cannibal Corpse have to offer and judged it negatively as a result.

Actually, a lot of old-school death metal bands have play soulfully with a dark, brooding atmosphere. But es, you're right, it's meant to be straightforward, but this is just so bland and flat as it seriously lacks dynamic songwriting. To me, it seems like CC wanted to make it as brutal as possible (Especially the vocals which are the worst aspect of the album), as if they the brutality meant more to them than the quality, and so any catchy element was lost from the album (Example: look at Benighted. They are brutal and catchy at the same time). And concerning your second statement, that's true. I had a friend who kept telling me Cannibal Corpse were the best death metal band. When I checked this out, I was fucking disappointed. It was so, so boring. That was a long time ago. Today, I tried it again, and whilst I think it's a little better than before, it still retains its blandness.
----
08.07.2012 - 01:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Oaken on 08.07.2012 at 01:32
Actually, a lot of old-school death metal bands have play soulfully with a dark, brooding atmosphere. But es, you're right, it's meant to be straightforward, but this is just so bland and flat as it seriously lacks dynamic songwriting. To me, it seems like CC wanted to make it as brutal as possible (Especially the vocals which are the worst aspect of the album), as if they the brutality meant more to them than the quality, and so any catchy element was lost from the album (Example: look at Benighted. They are brutal and catchy at the same time). And concerning your second statement, that's true. I had a friend who kept telling me Cannibal Corpse were the best death metal band. When I checked this out, I was fucking disappointed. It was so, so boring. That was a long time ago. Today, I tried it again, and whilst I think it's a little better than before, it still retains its blandness.

A lot of old school death metal bands were capable of incorporating an evil vibe into their music, but that was never the point of Cannibal Corpse. Take all the current slam death bands that emphasize brutality over actual songwriting, or even deathcore for that matter - this is where that style originated from. While other death metal bands were busy creating eerie vibes or simply writing catchy riffs, Cannibal Corpse offered one of the most stripped-down to-the-point styles of death metal around at the time. Some people refer to them as the best death metal band because they're the most simple death metal band, and sometimes simplicity is the only thing people look for in death metal. That being said, they did bring a more serious songwriting approach to the table with Kill, focusing on groove and flow as opposed to simple brutality, but they still never drew influence from some of the other more atmospheric bands.

Also, this might be a good time to remind yourself that raising or lowering your expectations based on a friend's suggestion isn't the best thing to do. Go in with a clear conscience and give the band a chance without assuming a positive or negative stance beforehand.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.07.2012 - 02:24
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.07.2012 at 01:40

A lot of old school death metal bands were capable of incorporating an evil vibe into their music, but that was never the point of Cannibal Corpse. Take all the current slam death bands that emphasize brutality over actual songwriting, or even deathcore for that matter - this is where that style originated from. While other death metal bands were busy creating eerie vibes or simply writing catchy riffs, Cannibal Corpse offered one of the most stripped-down to-the-point styles of death metal around at the time. Some people refer to them as the best death metal band because they're the most simple death metal band, and sometimes simplicity is the only thing people look for in death metal. That being said, they did bring a more serious songwriting approach to the table with Kill, focusing on groove and flow as opposed to simple brutality, but they still never drew influence from some of the other more atmospheric bands.

Also, this might be a good time to remind yourself that raising or lowering your expectations based on a friend's suggestion isn't the best thing to do. Go in with a clear conscience and give the band a chance without assuming a positive or negative stance beforehand.

I agree with every word. They incorporate really stripped-down influences in their music, and personally I don't regard their simplicity as their weakness (I listened to the song Deathammer on Asphyx's latest and despite its simplicity, it has an eerie vibe). I think TOTM's main weakness is the flatness of the sounds. So monotonous, with very uninteresting vocals (Other vocalists, unlike Barnes, give you something more than sheer brutality. Lord Worm is one of them, especially with his WTF-inducing maniacal shrieks). As for the expectations, I was a noob back then. Hammer Smashed Face was the first pure DM song I ever heard back in March 2011, so I didn't know what to trust back then. Anyways, when my friend said Cannibal Corpse and described them, I thought: Lightning fast riffs, screaming solos, catchy hooks and screaming (I wasn't aware of growls, shrieks and other types. I knew it all as screaming). Unluckily, I didn't find that, and that was really disappointing. To my dismay too were the lyrics. I think you remember how "conservative" I was back then when it came to lyrics. I thought that other death metal bands sounded like that and had the same lyrics, but fortunately, Pierced From Within told me something else. So, as a conclusion, I think we can say that TOTM is a very overrated album, but in the same time, we can also say that it's an album you either love or hate.
----
07.02.2014 - 07:03
Darth Revan

... So this is where "I Ejaculate Fire" came from. Except, ya know, it's fire instead of blood... I'd suggest going to the hospital if you're doing that by the way, the girl is supposed to bleed once a month, not the guy.

Hits total: 11915 | This month: 9