02. Ea, Lord Of The Deeps
03. Black Spell Of Destruction
04. Channelling The Power Of Souls Into A New God
05. War
06. The Crying Orc
07. A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit
08. My Journey To The Stars
09. Dungeons Of Darkness

First, Varg is a good musician. It isn't easy to do everything at least decently: write the lyrics, beat the drums, play the guitar and scream your throat out. Let's take 'em all one by one.

The guitar is cutting sick. A thick, low quality distortion, fast tremolo riffs punching out with a softer guitar running past, all creating quite a balance and symetrical melodic line that doesn't bore you and offers some great moments. Actually, it's damned brilliant in some moments. Bass guitar is a bit absent; still, it has a nice moment on "A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit" and "War."

Drums are better. I think Varg's a better drummer than a guitarist. Strong beats that really grip you and hold the whole song together. It escalates and increases in tension throughout the whole album until the climax in "My Journey to the Stars" where, I at least, couldn't help but bang, bang, and bang.

The lyrics are complex, majestic at times with a touch of teenage rebellion and philosophy. All in all just thoughts that pass through any person's mind at a certain point but here they are dressed in an interesting fashion. Personally, I could sum them up in the effort to find one's self and meaning.

Voice, well, Varg doesn't really have a voice. He just screams his lyrics. And that might bother some. Still, I find his screams fit to the album's atmosphere. Gloomy and furious.

A final conclusion? The instrumental part is good towards great, the album caps at about 48 minutes and though there isn't too much variation throughout it (excepting some ambiental parts) it does not bore you. The lyrics are interesting and the voice can be horrid to some and perfect to others. Great black metal album.

Highlights: A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit, War, The Crying Orc, My Journey To The Stars.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by NECURATU | 29.08.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 246 users
23.05.2007 - 16:12
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
Truly a very good album! I love the atmoesphere, the screams and darkness throughout the songs. All Black Metal fan must've heard this album (said by a Black Metal newbie).
----
23.05.2007 - 17:30
Rating: 9
Jiri

I love Burzum's Burzum. One of the best albums of all time. The only one released before Varg was thrown in jail.
22.04.2008 - 11:36
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Amazing piece of work!!! MASTERPIECE This album simply rules, it must be worshiped properly Burzum... what a great band. the best in their style, and one of my personal favorites of all time. A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit is an epic, and even the instrumental songs have their place, cant imagine the album without them... perfect atmosphere, perfect riffs, perfect album 10/10!!!!
too bad that Varg isnt coming back for more music ^^'
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
23.05.2008 - 12:18
Berfones

you cannot be called a black metal-head without listening to this album, it is perfect, a masterpiece of black metal, pure guinious
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
30.08.2009 - 18:06
Rating: 10
HATHOR

With this album, Varg created something new musically.
26.01.2012 - 23:13
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
The album is great, but the vocals are too weak! Varg looks like a drunk parrot all the time.
26.01.2012 - 23:15
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 26.01.2012 at 23:13
Varg looks like a drunk parrot all the time.

You don't say.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
26.01.2012 - 23:17
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 26.01.2012 at 23:15

You don't say.

I said.
27.01.2012 - 10:01
Slayer666

Please explain the way you found out what he looks like while listening to his music?
27.01.2012 - 17:58
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 27.01.2012 at 10:01

Please explain the way you found out what he looks like while listening to his music?

Whoops! Now you got me Well I guess you already understand
17.01.2013 - 22:09
Evil Chip

Highlights: The Crying Orc? That instrumental is one of the weakest parts of all the album.
23.03.2013 - 17:10
Rating: 6
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
The credibility of this review was lost in the first sentance.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.01.2015 - 03:38
TPrice

I can't stand Varg as a person but I have to admit this is a great album. Anyone who enjoys black metal needs to listen to this.

Hits total: 10000 | This month: 7