Metal Storm logo
2018 Metal Storm Awards Now Open

Hey, the 2018 version of the Metal Storm Awards are now open for voting. You can do so here. You have until midnight, server time, February 28th to get your votes in.

Feel free to blow your left ventricle telling us what we got wrong, or what we got right, on this thread.
Posted: 01.02.2019 by BitterCOld

Comments page 3 / 6

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 151   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 735 users
03.02.2019 - 15:44
Sangre Sani

What is a "clandestine cut"? English is not my native language and I can't find any definition of the phrase.
03.02.2019 - 16:07
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Sangre Sani on 03.02.2019 at 15:44

What is a "clandestine cut"? English is not my native language and I can't find any definition of the phrase.

Clandestine Cuts is an ongoing article series that features EPs and demos from bands that are not signed to a major label nor have released any full length albums yet. Here's the latest issue. Each issue had 6 releases from which users could vote and we nominated the two with the most votes from each of those.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
03.02.2019 - 16:21
Sangre Sani

Thanks!
03.02.2019 - 17:36
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This is the best post metal category we've had. Incredible choices. Love every one of them. Some of my other favorites couldn't make the 10. I wish their could be an honorable mention section...
----
rekt
03.02.2019 - 18:41
matt4815162342

Written by tea[m]ster on 03.02.2019 at 17:36

This is the best post metal category we've had. Incredible choices. Love every one of them. Some of my other favorites couldn't make the 10. I wish their could be an honorable mention section...

This is going to be tough voting. There are several really strong categories from my perspective, literally overflowing with great albums. Death, Extreme Progressive, Melodic Black, Metalgaze, and yes, also Post-Metal produced so many quality releases this year. On the other hand, several other categories were surprisingly easy to pick - Gothic, Heavy, Industrial and Melodeath among those.
03.02.2019 - 22:16
musclassia

Written by tea[m]ster on 03.02.2019 at 17:36

Slightly surprised you're so enthusiastic about this year's noms. I've still got 3-4 to check out (hope to rectify that next week), but aside from Dirge, not sure any of them are amazing (I am fond of the Ocean, Erdve and Huntsmen albums though). I still remember 2014, when 4 of my top 10 albums of the year at the time were nominated (Derivae, Hyperion, Descent and Passage of Gaia), that was a fantastic year. Or 2013, with a top 3 of Pelagial, Vertikal and Void Mother
04.02.2019 - 00:27
NastyHero

As always, some of the nominees baffle me. Not because of their quality but because of their place in respective categories. And I know I don't have to vote for them, but still, if they are in nominations and I think they're better than other candidates and my possible write-ins, I'm going to vote for them.

I already voted for Antimatter in 'alt metal', even though it's just a prog rock album. Wovennest I'd say would much more fit in doom category than drone but I could understand that a little bit (voted for that too btw, and I am actually listening to every nominee I've failed to listen to before).
I was disappointed while browsing through categories and not seeing A Forest of Stars in black metal (or avant-garde) only to find them in 'gothic metal'. I mean, even on this website it's listed as "atmospheric black metal". I'll admit I don't use the website except for voting in awards so if genres are defined by users, not by staff, then that's understandable.
I also didn't hear any power metal in Black Viper's album. Which is why I might vote for them in the power metal category, although new Powerwolf might be better.

Yeah, yeah, now that the rant's over I can say something positive. Actually, the whole idea is positive as always, the nominees are usually very good albums (with no faux pas as snubbing Diablo Swing Orchestra last year by not listing them). I also love reading the descriptions, even if I don't agree with them, I really appreciate the writing and time it took to prepare them.

Also, I chuckled at the "we have all the important genre categories, a few special write-in categories, and a symphonic metal category." bit, considering I still have PTSD from listening to symphonic metal category a year ago...
04.02.2019 - 09:05
Blindhate

Where is Behemoth ??????????????????
04.02.2019 - 09:07
JoHn Doe

Written by Blindhate on 04.02.2019 at 09:05

Probably in Poland?!
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.02.2019 - 09:10
Blindhate

Written by JoHn Doe on 04.02.2019 at 09:07

Probably in Poland?!

:wall::wall::wall::wall:
04.02.2019 - 10:57
nikarg

Written by Blindhate on 04.02.2019 at 09:10

Probably in Poland?!

:wall::wall::wall::wall:

I share your disbelief, if that helps. You have to use a write-in vote, I'd personally vote for them in the black category because I found ILYAYD to be more black metal than anything else.
04.02.2019 - 11:28
Blindhate

Ok ok
I'll write-in vote but i cant choose wich category, because i think black belogs to Immortal
04.02.2019 - 13:01
NastyHero

Seeing how staff handled some of the choices, I'd say you can put Behemoth in Hard Rock category.
04.02.2019 - 15:39
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by NastyHero on 04.02.2019 at 13:01

Seeing how staff handled some of the choices, I'd say you can put Behemoth in Hard Rock category.

That's not such a terrible idea
----
04.02.2019 - 18:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by NastyHero on 04.02.2019 at 13:01

Fair enough.

Seeing how every year we witness to some whiners who reel in pain seeing nominated choices, I'd say "get over it", and go for write-ins ffs.
04.02.2019 - 21:42
Uldreth

I dig the djunt and core stuff here. I mean, Frontierer, Sectioned, Night Verses, Rolo Tomassi, Black Tongue, Unearth, Daughters, so much great stuff. I think this is my favourite MSA in the xxcorexx section. I guess I'll put on Unloved and then put my face in a blender now.
04.02.2019 - 22:00
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Uldreth on 04.02.2019 at 21:42

I dig the djunt and core stuff here. I mean, Frontierer, Sectioned, Night Verses, Rolo Tomassi, Black Tongue, Unearth, Daughters, so much great stuff. I think this is my favourite MSA in the xxcorexx section. I guess I'll put on Unloved and then put my face in a blender now.

And that was the last we heard of Uldreth
----
05.02.2019 - 02:02
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Gåte has a new album out?

Gåte is on Metal Storm?
05.02.2019 - 03:12
Czerny Reiter

Where to place a vote for Dysylumn's Occultation? Extreme Progressive seems likely, but I did come across AfoS in gothic, so...
05.02.2019 - 11:45
folker

MSA - the best metal albums voting!
05.02.2019 - 22:19
musclassia

For the first year in a while I've actually got some time to check out the nominees I hadn't heard before (finally got an office job where I can listen to music and people don't talk much). Have to say, out of the 5-6 genre nominee lists I've 'completed' so far, I wasn't expecting ambient/drone/noise to be the one to bring the hidden gems, but those Megaton Leviathan and Wolvennest albums were great, will have to revisit them soon.
05.02.2019 - 23:14
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by musclassia on 05.02.2019 at 22:19

For the first year in a while I've actually got some time to check out the nominees I hadn't heard before (finally got an office job where I can listen to music and people don't talk much). Have to say, out of the 5-6 genre nominee lists I've 'completed' so far, I wasn't expecting ambient/drone/noise to be the one to bring the hidden gems, but those Megaton Leviathan and Wolvennest albums were great, will have to revisit them soon.

So that's why you're not updating your 2019 list
----
05.02.2019 - 23:59
musclassia

Written by RaduP on 05.02.2019 at 23:14

So that's why you're not updating your 2019 list

Honestly, I've been using this as a chance to catch up on the 200+ albums I tagged on my wishlist on here whilst I let the new releases build up for a bit before I got stuck into them, this is just a side venture from that
06.02.2019 - 00:01
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by musclassia on 05.02.2019 at 23:59

Honestly, I've been using this as a chance to catch up on the 200+ albums I tagged on my wishlist on here whilst I let the new releases build up for a bit before I got stuck into them, this is just a side venture from that

Good. I was worried I was reviewing stuff for nobody
----
06.02.2019 - 00:23
musclassia

Written by RaduP on 06.02.2019 at 00:01

Written by musclassia on 05.02.2019 at 23:59

Good. I was worried I was reviewing stuff for nobody

Nah, I fully intend to check out a Swarm Of The Sun eventually; I revisited The rifts last year for the first time probably since I downloaded when it came out, would be good to see where they went next as I actually liked it unsurprisingly, given I'd spent money on it.

Will give Mono a go, although haven't really cared too much for the albums of theirs I checked out post-Hymn of the Immortal Wind
06.02.2019 - 01:21
nikarg

...but those Megaton Leviathan and Wolvennest albums were great, will have to revisit them soon.

These two are my favourite from that category, especially Wolvennest is awesome. I also adore the Eno cover on the ML album.
06.02.2019 - 07:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

Probably in Poland?!

Good call. I was going to guess Hot Topic, but you were more likely correct than I was, Mr Mojo Rison...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.02.2019 - 10:57
Ball Fondlers

Written by Blindhate on 04.02.2019 at 11:28

Ok ok
I'll write-in vote but i cant choose wich category, because i think black belogs to Immortal

I hope that it's not a foregone conclusion. I'd expect Drudkh to poll well, in fact I think it's a pretty strong category
07.02.2019 - 10:00
JoHn Doe

Written by BitterCOld on 06.02.2019 at 07:03

Probably in Poland?!

Good call. I was going to guess Hot Topic, but you were more likely correct than I was, Mr Mojo Rison...

now I do not know if Hot Topic got cooler or Behemoth have become lamer
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
07.02.2019 - 12:22
Nejde
CommunityManager
Outrageous that Hoth's Astral Nercromancy didn't get nominated. Just saying.

Hits total: 7805 | This month: 4