07. Prelude To Descent
08. Fallen Children
09. Beneath Black Skies
10. Sedative God
11. Your Own Reality
12. Missing [Everything But The Girl cover] [limited box-edition bonus]
13. Silent In Heart [limited box-edition bonus]
14. Sons Of Perdition [Japanese bonus]

Although I am a fan of both the doom/death metal Paradise Lost of yore and the band's more recent, electro-synth-goth incarnation, it seems to me that albums after 2001's Believe In Nothing were progressively getting less and less inspired, with the songwriting sometimes receding into trivial cliché, and with the band having a hard time in general spawning what is their definitive trademark regardless of current musical style - songs that are both emotionally punishing and expertly written. Already on their self-titled tenth album the chaps from Halifax tried to re-energize their music by returning to a decidedly heavier sound; however, it is finally with In Requiem that they full-heartedly embrace their old style (circa Icon and Draconian Times) while losing none of the subtlety that they have been exploring since One Second.

Yes - it's true - Nick Holmes even sometimes growls on this album, such as on the mind-numbingly excellent opener that is "Never For The Damned". It is obvious that he has decided that he no longer has anything to prove as a versatile vocalist and its OK now to go back a little to his older style. "Ash And Debris", "The Enemy" and the title track all follow in a similar vein, with heavy rhythms, loud guitars and harsh vocals dominating the songwriting. "The Enemy" in particular stands out as an exceptionally catchy song and it is therefore not surprising that it has been selected to be released as a single. The return to a heavier style also largely saves us from the increasingly kitschy use of samples and keyboards that PL have been developing on their previous two albums. Luckily for those of us who like variety in our music, PL doesn't totally abandon their more subtle style here and there are some truly excellent, melancholic moments on this album too - "Unreachable", "Beneath Black Skies" and "Sedative God" stand out in this respect. "Prelude To Descent" is a full-fledged doom-metal dirge, while "Your Own Reality" is a return to the Depeche Mode-like sound of Host. All in all, one could definitely say that Paradise Lost chose the best elements of most of their past discography (except for the really extreme early stuff) and created an album that capably shows them all off.

Although Paradise Lost never really released anything that could even remotely be considered crap, In Requiem stands as one of their best works - and this is saying a lot. To be placed on the same pedestal as Icon, Draconian Times and One Second, the music on this record speaks for itself and it of interest to anyone considering themselves a fan of this band or of doom metal, gothic metal or any other melancholic type of metal.

Written on 23.05.2007 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 227 users
23.05.2007 - 19:06
Rating: 8
iaberis
Advice Troll
Sounds good... I'm looking forward to listening this album...
----
Bitch! Please
23.05.2007 - 21:33
Rating: 8
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
I've got this album. It's really great, a real pleasure for ears. Paradise Lost at the top.
24.05.2007 - 06:16
Rating: 6
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I agree with you 100% here... their last album had the "hope" of being back to their roots but quickly has been forgotten witih me. This new CD, however, is mature and inspired from beginning to end. I would say they've created a new version of their past successes, and this CD really stands as one of their best releases of their career
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
24.05.2007 - 12:53
Merchant of Doom

well, PL have gone back to a heavier sound, but the album is very uninspired, I would say almost boring. It's not bad, but very derivative. "Fallen children" has even symphonic elements in it! And, come on, jupitreas, "Prelude To Descent" a full-fledged doom-metal dirge? Have you ever listened to proper doom metal? To me, they sound like Metallica... and I couldn't hear any growling on the album...
24.05.2007 - 13:31
ToCSiN
Account deleted
Damn folkd, this album is just un believable.
Recommanded
24.05.2007 - 13:41
SirHooke

I'll have to check it out, as long as its not too electro-sounding.. but I don't think this one is.
24.05.2007 - 16:34
dancingdecember

so fukkin excited
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
24.05.2007 - 16:57
Rating: 7
Jiri

Back to the old ways? Sounds cool.
24.05.2007 - 17:47
Darkside Momo
Retired
Bought it one hour ago... I'll see, but I don't think I'll be disappointed.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
24.05.2007 - 23:30
ToCSiN
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 24.05.2007 at 17:47

Trust me you won't mate ... it's a masterpiece
25.05.2007 - 08:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Merchant of Doom on 24.05.2007 at 12:53

well, PL have gone back to a heavier sound, but the album is very uninspired, I would say almost boring. It's not bad, but very derivative. "Fallen children" has even symphonic elements in it! And, come on, jupitreas, "Prelude To Descent" a full-fledged doom-metal dirge? Have you ever listened to proper doom metal? To me, they sound like Metallica... and I couldn't hear any growling on the album...

I totally agree with you. Okay so this PL album is better than the last couple of sorry efforts, but it is still average and uninspired (like you said)
And yes Prelude To Descent also reminds me of Metalllica (Load - Reload era)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2007 - 13:38
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Guest on 24.05.2007 at 23:30

Written by Darkside Momo on 24.05.2007 at 17:47

Trust me you won't mate ... it's a masterpiece

Well... I was disappointed...

LOL !

Just joking ! It's really really good, And the review is quite accurate too
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
25.05.2007 - 14:24
Merchant of Doom

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.05.2007 at 08:53

I totally agree with you. Okay so this PL album is better than the last couple of sorry efforts, but it is still average and uninspired (like you said)
And yes Prelude To Descent also reminds me of Metalllica (Load - Reload era)

Ah, I thought nobody would agree with me.... I must stress that it's an ok album, much better than the previous efforts, but still very disappointing, specially because is so derivative. Like they have forgotten how to be original.
28.05.2007 - 22:57
ChristianMetaler
Account deleted
This album is completely amazing from beginning to end! I love it.
29.05.2007 - 03:31
Rating: 10
ChaosLogic

Can't Ask for more Paradise Lost did their best album ever after all these years
07.12.2007 - 03:23
Galthazar
Account deleted
Really a great album. The more I listen to it the more I love it. My favorite song is, despite it's "pop" appearance, Beneath Black Skies. Ash & Depris is also mindblowing song. I just love the hole album. Can't say anything more.
28.12.2007 - 13:31
gid

I can't find anything interesting about this album at all. The songs are bland and instantly forgettable, the lyrics are terrible, and the Everything But the Girl cover is simply awful. I love Paradise Lost, but I just cannot find anything nice to say about this album.
11.02.2008 - 20:40
Rating: 9
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
This is certainly teh continuation of the new "era" started with their previous release. Great album. no wonder it was nominated for the awards this year
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
16.06.2008 - 19:54
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
To be honest, I dislike the album. It just didnt' grab me and I felt the songs weren't all that good.

But I was never really a big Paradise Lost fan and they never interested me that much, so maybe, its a bit of that too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
19.06.2008 - 19:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 16.06.2008 at 19:54

To be honest, I dislike the album. It just didnt' grab me and I felt the songs weren't all that good.

But I was never really a big Paradise Lost fan and they never interested me that much, so maybe, its a bit of that too.

I'm a PL fan, and I have to say that I agree with you, I couldn't feel anything after hearing the album.
I will give it a 7 or something like that.

The good albums are the old ones [but Host is the exception... Since I love that album.]
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.10.2008 - 16:29
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Quote:
I'm a PL fan, and I have to say that I agree with you, I couldn't feel anything after hearing the album.
I will give it a 7 or something like that.

The good albums are the old ones [but Host is the exception... Since I love that album.]

No man this album is great! Surely it has a more modern style that the old albums but that does not mean that this makes it not perfect. After many listenings you'll love it. But the most important thing is you must not be opinionated.. Gothic Kings are back in their throne...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
20.10.2008 - 22:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Deadmeat on 20.10.2008 at 16:29

No man this album is great! Surely it has a more modern style that the old albums but that does not mean that this makes it not perfect. After many listenings you'll love it. But the most important thing is you must not be opinionated.. Gothic Kings are back in their throne...

The problem was that I disliked their s/t a bit... Since I found it very unispired. And after listening to a couple of songs from this album and I found them in the same vein but a bit better. Maybe I will check them out again.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.06.2009 - 09:23
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Perfect album! Excellent review. I've found my new favorite PL album. Sometime ago I couldn't imagine that some of their new stuff would turn out to be my favorite! Nice
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
10.08.2009 - 00:50
Solstafir!

Now we're talking PL!!! A darn good album released in quite a while...
"Beneath Black Skies" and "Never For The Damned" are two great songs with which they have signaled their return...
25.12.2009 - 01:54
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
To be honest I really couldnt listen to any albums after Draconian Times. One Second, Host, Believe In Nothing and Symbol of Life. Paradise Lost was a disappointment for sure but with metal style. then they released In Requiem. yes this is very better than ex works after Draconian Times. I like this album.
05.06.2014 - 05:53
Opethian

An Amazing record. Hands down
27.04.2016 - 00:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
In some way I agree whit Jery about emotions into this album, after time, band knows how to put those
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 13695 | This month: 7