Metal Storm logo
The (New) Seven Wonders Of The World!

Original post

Posted by Taktsekte, 23.05.2007 - 22:07
The N7W (New Seven Wonders) Foundation, created by Swiss-Canadian tycoon Bernard Weber, has decided to finance and promote the election of the new 7 Wonders of the World, which everybody can vote on their official website among 20 different candidates. The Official Declaration ceremony (where the new 7 Wonders of the World shall be announced) will be held in Lisbon, Portugal, on Saturday, 07.07.2007. According to the N7W Foundation, this event will be broadcast worldwide on TV.

These are the 20 candidates, and the symbols they stand for:

Acropolis (Athens, Greece) - Civilization and Democracy

Alhambra (Granada, Spain) - Dignity and Dialog

Angkor Wat (Angkor, Cambodia) - Beauty and Sanctity

Chichén Itzá (Yucatán, Mexico) - Worship and Knowledge

Statue of Christ Redeemer (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - Welcoming and Openness

Colosseum (Rome, Italy) - Joy and Suffering

Easter Island Moais (Easter Island, Chile) - Mystery and Awe

Eiffel Tower (Paris, France) - Challenge and Progress

Great Wall of China (People's Republic of China) - Perseverance and Persistence

Hagia Sophia (Istanbul, Turkey) - Faith and Respect

Kiyomizu Temple (Kyoto, Japan) - Clarity and Serenity

Kremlin, Red Square, St Basil's Cathedral (Moscow, Russia) - Fortitude and Symbolism

Machu Picchu (Cuzco, Peru) - Community and Dedication

Neuschwanstein Castle (Southwest Bavaria, Germany) - Fantasy and Imagination

City of Petra (Petra, Jordan) - Engineering and Protection

Statue of Liberty (New York City, USA) - Generosity and Hope

Stonehenge (Wiltshire County, UK) - Intrigue and Endurance

Sydney Opera House (Sydney, Australia) - Abstraction and Creativity

Taj Mahal (Agra, India) - Love and Passion

Timbuktu (Région de Tombouctou, Mali) - Intellect and Mysticism

My choices were Acropolis, Alhambra, Colosseum, Great Wall, Machu Picchu, Petra and Taj Mahal. What's yours?
08.07.2007 - 21:38
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
How can, for example, Petra, the Colloseum, the Moais and Christ the Redeemer be competing in the same competition? there's a huge time gap among them all!
Personally, even though I'm Brazilian, I'm a bit revolted Christ the Redeemer won a place among the new seven wonders... it's not even much of a statue anyways, much less a wonder. It's not a fantastic piece of architecture nor is it very tall (only the hill on which it's placed is tall), and, even worse, it's a symbol of the Catholic power. Also, Rio de Janeiro is horrible, there's a fucking civil war going there. Crime rates are high I'm surprised the Christ wasn't built with the hands in the air in the "you're being robbed" manner.
But I guess my braindead compatriots were too busy being full of silly, fake, patriotic pride to think about it. It's just a meaningless competition and a self promotion thing for the organizer...
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
08.07.2007 - 23:03
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
none of those i have voted for are "winners"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.07.2007 - 23:44
APOHAKC
The Bard
I watched that on national TV, well, it looks like Great Wall Of China is leading, what a waste of time
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
09.07.2007 - 02:35
tulkas
el parcero
i'm not happy with some of the choices either. i mean, the christ redeemer!!?? sleep in sorrow is right, it isn't that big a thing to be in the same list as the great wall of china of the city of petra. also, i didn't vote for the roman coliseum, i don't know, i mean it is something great but... not that convincing for me
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
10.07.2007 - 05:49
vallhalen
Account deleted
to be honest, i wasn't interested on that. i think it's kind of silly that the 7 wonders of the world are chosen just for votation, the winners would be the countries with more population (and with more publicity on their candidates) would won. anyway, we peruvians are incredible happy, i thought we didn't have a good chance of winning. if you want to know it, my whole country is having a kind of great party
28.07.2007 - 05:37
Endoftherainbow

I think picking 7 new wonders of the world is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Are the old wonders not wonderful enough anymore? Like come on the things they have to pick from now are fucking stupid the thing that made the wonders of the world great is they weren't all man made pieces of shit like the Statue of Liberty who gives a shit about that it's the most boring thing I've ever seen and the reason it was given isn't that great or interesting either, and I'm not just picking on the statue of liberty I don't really think any of those things are worth anything with the exception of maybe Stonehenge.
28.07.2007 - 08:39
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
There should be a wonder there from Canada
28.07.2007 - 12:15
Hyvaarin

Written by Endoftherainbow on 28.07.2007 at 05:37

Like come on the things they have to pick from now are fucking stupid the thing that made the wonders of the world great is they weren't all man made pieces of shit like the Statue of Liberty

Let's look at the "classic" wonders...

1. Great Pyramid (man-made)
2. Hanging gardens of Babylon (man-made)
3. Temple of Artemis at Ephesus (man-made)
4. Statue of Zeus at Olympia (man-made)
5. Mausoleum of Maussollos at Halicarnassus (man-made)
6. Colossus of Rhodes (man-made)
7. Lighthouse of Alexandria (man-made)

I think I get where you're coming from, but still, it's pretty funny .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
28.07.2007 - 18:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Why the HELL was the Jesus statue in Rio picked? Just to appease the Catholics? Come on that statue is even cheesier and more pathetic than the Statue of Liberty.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2007 - 20:38
Endoftherainbow

Written by Hyvaarin on 28.07.2007 at 12:15

Like come on the things they have to pick from now are fucking stupid the thing that made the wonders of the world great is they weren't all man made pieces of shit like the Statue of Liberty

Yeah I kind of should have thought about what I was saying abit, I was to busy being angry at the fact they're even changing them. Atleast thing like the Pyramid even though man made have more meaning to them because they were completely advanced for such a time period and now the things they have to chose from any stupid fucking archeticht could have came up with them there's nothing spectecular about the great majority of them.
29.07.2007 - 20:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Endoftherainbow on 28.07.2007 at 20:38

Written by Hyvaarin on 28.07.2007 at 12:15

Yeah I kind of should have thought about what I was saying abit, I was to busy being angry at the fact they're even changing them. Atleast thing like the Pyramid even though man made have more meaning to them because they were completely advanced for such a time period and now the things they have to chose from any stupid fucking archeticht could have came up with them there's nothing spectecular about the great majority of them.

They are not changing the 7 wonders of the world. These new 7 are additional ones and AREN'T recognized by the UNESCO.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.07.2007 - 21:36
Endoftherainbow

Oh, well that's good to hear, still kind of stupid though. Atleast they're keeping the original ones because that really made me mad
12.08.2007 - 12:30
CrownOf10Horns

If those are the only candidates, woe to the world. The moai are the closest thing I'd say to a "wonder". They're just these fucking crazy heads that make me wonder "Who the hell came up with this and why didn't I think of it first?" I'd say a true wonder would have to be some great feat of architectural mastery, or something really really big that's already there w'o human interference, like the mariana trench......this new seven wonders thing looks to me like a global mental jerk-off to the superiority of mankind over everything else.
----
Just another mouth to feed.
17.12.2008 - 22:38
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
Written by CrownOf10Horns on 12.08.2007 at 12:30

If those are the only candidates, woe to the world. The moai are the closest thing I'd say to a "wonder". They're just these fucking crazy heads that make me wonder "Who the hell came up with this and why didn't I think of it first?" I'd say a true wonder would have to be some great feat of architectural mastery, or something really really big that's already there w'o human interference, like the mariana trench......this new seven wonders thing looks to me like a global mental jerk-off to the superiority of mankind over everything else.

Seriously though. I wish I had thought of putting a bunch of heads sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting to be found. It's like hide and seek for a schizophrenic person.
17.12.2008 - 23:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Fhuesc on 27.05.2007 at 08:50

Written by Doc G. on 26.05.2007 at 23:02

Written by Taktsekte on 24.05.2007 at 17:49

I'm sure there were more than seven wonders in the Ancient World, but the goal is to name the seven most outstanding ones.

@Dr. Rock: Interesting, you're the first person I see who has not mentioned the Great Wall of China in his/her list.

Yeah the great wall of China is pretty amazing, its amazing something that size was built, but something about a big wall doesnt excite me, visually I find it kind of boring. Stone Henge is definitly my favorite, so much...mystery behind it, very cool.

I dont get it, you think that the largest construction in the world is boring, but a bunch of rocks that can be seen in minutes, dont ? thats weird.

Ok.. this is pretty old message but I can still say something.
I agree ith Doc. The wall isn't that interesting if you see it in the fact of history.... It was just a defense-thingy and nothing more.

Stonehenge and Moais shoul get more attention because noone have a fucking clue of what was their purpose and more important... Do you understand how difficult it could be to build that kind of "rocks" as you say?

Anyway... I just hate most of the winners.
The only ones that actually deserve it is Taj Mahal and Machu Picchu.. those are really wonders.

My list:
- Acropolis
- Angkor
- Taj Mahal
- Hagia Sophia
- Stonehenge
- Machu Picchu
- Moais

I also thought that Neuschwanstein was good.. but it's just not that old and influential.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2008 - 20:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.12.2008 at 23:08

Stonehenge and Moais shoul get more attention because noone have a fucking clue of what was their purpose and more important... Do you understand how difficult it could be to build that kind of "rocks" as you say?

Actually I recently watched a documentary on Stonehenge and apparently (well the historians best guess using all sorts of science-y evidence, is that it was a burial ground for some line of royalty/powerful people. One family and all their ancestors buried in one place.

As far as how it was built? Strangely enough I saw another thing covering this on the Discovery channel. This group of guys built a bunch of primitive pulleys and whatnots to see how much they could lift (to try and sort of reenact the building of Stonehenge), worked out surprisingly well actually.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.12.2008 - 00:31
Gigginova
Account deleted
Well i've only ever seen the Coloseum and Acropolis in person so I feel like I can't really say.
28.12.2008 - 02:02
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
The great wall of China is great
28.12.2008 - 03:01
Gigginova
Account deleted
^^^ I have an opportunity to see that in person this summer, but I chose not to sign up for China, I'm not real particular, I've heard terrible things about that country.But the great wall must've been incredible though, ever seen the South Park episode of it?