Metal Storm logo
Delain

25.05.2007 - 18:17
Etaín
http://www.delain.nl/

New recent discovery i made Delain is a dutch band started by ex-Within Temptation keyboardist Martijn Westerholt. Their debut album Lucidity is pretty impressive imo. A lot of guest artist like Marco Hietala (Nightwish), Liv Kristine (Leaves' Eyes), Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation), Ad Sluyter (Epica) and some more. Their own vocalist is pretty good too. She doesnt seem too special at first, but the more you listen the more you notice that there actually is something special about it (thats what i thought atleast). So wondering if anyone else knows them, and if you dont, check em out

Edit: Btw, you can listen to 3 songs on the site. Some of the best imo
25.05.2007 - 18:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know them never had been huge fan of them but i like its something mix between Epica/WT type of music and Lulacry vocals and I like this band more how other duitch female frontet bands iMO ist best one
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.05.2007 - 18:43
Lupas
Maximus
I'm a huge fan of them . I have listen to them about a year ago and never turn back. If you like a very similiar band like Delain try Elis
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
25.05.2007 - 18:50
Etaín
Ugh no, i dont like Elis. Singer has annoying voice imo, cant stand it. Delain one is better
Edit: Ow right, forgot they have a new singer. Never heard her though, i'll check em out Forgot what happened to the old singer :x Didnt mean to be rude or anything. Cant help it that i didnt like her voice.
25.05.2007 - 18:56
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Etaín on 25.05.2007 at 18:50

Ugh no, i dont like Elis. Singer has annoying voice imo, cant stand it. Delain one is better
Edit: Ow right, forgot they have a new singer. Never heard her though, i'll check em out Forgot what happened to the old singer :x Didnt mean to be rude or anything. Cant help it that i didnt like her voice.

Yeah, Elis former singer have passed away:( at a very young age .
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
25.05.2007 - 18:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Etaín on 25.05.2007 at 18:50

I never had like Elis, Edenbride, Epica so much but this band its lil simmilar like Mina Bareo it was similar band from US I fill find myspace link and post
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.05.2007 - 22:48
Bitch Boy
It's a very interesting band indeed, Charlotte's voice is really sweet, and they've also had very good guests.
27.05.2007 - 18:00
duyhung
Account deleted
At last a thread for Delain. I like everything about this band,although it's almost like a project
Btw, I'm wondering when they play the song such as 'No Compliance' live, does Charlotte sing the part of the guests (for example,Sharon Den Adel or Live Kristine) ?
28.05.2007 - 13:24
Judas
The Amputator
I was recommended this band by a 11 year old girl at the school which I worked at last year in England. She burnt me 'Lucidity' and the 'Amenity' demo, I quite enjoyed it. How she found out about them, I do not know, but I think she figured I'd like them because I wore my Nightwish shirt lots, and, well, she was right!

Martijn Westerholt certainly has got himself an awesome list of guest musicians for this album, and he's used them well too, as they don't make it feel like a hodge-podge album. Good stuff for when you want something mellow.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
28.05.2007 - 15:12
Elodie Artour
Slania
I like them."Lucidity"is a good album,but I'd like the new stuff to be in their own music style.In this album I recognized many influences from the guest musicians' bands.I'd also like to hear only Charlotte's voice on the new release.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
28.05.2007 - 15:29
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Isn't Delain like THE rising star of the moment? I read/see stuff about them everywhere. *In metal-related places, of course*
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.05.2007 - 17:24
Elodie Artour
Slania
That's right-the more months which pass,the more interest people get into Delain.
----
28.05.2007 - 17:36
duyhung
Account deleted
@Elodie Artour : i think they really deserve that, their music is great, indeed.
28.05.2007 - 19:24
Lupas
Maximus
Written by Lucas on 28.05.2007 at 15:29

Isn't Delain like THE rising star of the moment? I read/see stuff about them everywhere. *In metal-related places, of course*

Yes, i think so. Great news about this band are from everywhere .
----
30.05.2007 - 19:30
Bash'
:)
My fav. track for them is No Compliance !!! WOW!!

am addicted to it these days !!
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
04.06.2007 - 12:13
Etaín
Yeh thats a good one Ive been hearing 'Silhouette of a Dancer' in my head for the last few days lol. Catchy cd, thats true
13.06.2007 - 16:23
Veertje
I saw them live on the Bevrijdingsfestival in Zwolle this year, they were pretty good can't remember the songs though
03.12.2007 - 17:51
i saw them live at an concert in amsterdam.. they're really great! i especially like the songs shattered, the gathering, pristine and no compliance
----
15.12.2007 - 17:48
albatros

They have definitely established themselves very well in the market. I just hope they can go on like this. Together with A New Dawn they could really help to keep The Netherlands in the vanguard of female fronted melodic metal.
15.12.2007 - 19:00
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by albatros on 15.12.2007 at 17:48

They have definitely established themselves very well in the market. I just hope they can go on like this. Together with A New Dawn they could really help to keep The Netherlands in the vanguard of female fronted melodic metal.

i only hope that in future Delain won't become too commercial like Within Temptation and write stuff like 'The Heart Of Everything'
15.12.2007 - 19:26
albatros
Written by Guest on 15.12.2007 at 19:00

i only hope that in future Delain won't become too commercial like Within Temptation and write stuff like 'The Heart Of Everything'

Hmm, I don't think there is much difference between WT and Delain in this respect right now. WT have some pop elements in "The Heart Of Everything" and Delain have some pop elements in their stuff, especially the ballads. However both bands kept their music overall fairly heavy with thundering bass drums and growls and whatnot. WT have become more enjoyable than ever for me, especially since Sharon mellowed her voice a little and uses her wonderful lower voice more often.
So, I'd be glad if Delain would follow WTs example and keep putting out high quality metal entertainment with a sound economic concept behind it. Both bands are show bands with a lot of glitz and eye candy and I don't expect them to solve the world's problems.
14.03.2008 - 19:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
not bad band (especially i like the song The Gathering ) but nothing very special after second listening
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.03.2008 - 19:24
Arrwyn
Marco totally ruins the project....the nasally vocals really destroy the atmosphere.
14.03.2008 - 23:24
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Chris:It's just that Delain have got very catchy songs.
----
17.03.2008 - 10:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Together with A New Dawn they could really help to keep The Netherlands in the vanguard of female fronted melodic metal.

Sorry, to say but by far the weakest part of A New Dawn are the THREE female vocalists. On ly the female growler/screamer is any good, the other two are just a joke live.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2008 - 11:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Arrwyn on 14.03.2008 at 19:24

Marco totally ruins the project....

lol...Marco is the best of Delain
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.03.2008 - 11:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Ellrohir on 17.03.2008 at 11:50

Written by Arrwyn on 14.03.2008 at 19:24

Marco totally ruins the project....

lol...Marco is the best of Delain

I disagree there, personally George's grunts are the best part of Delain
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2008 - 14:30
albatros
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.03.2008 at 10:56

Together with A New Dawn they could really help to keep The Netherlands in the vanguard of female fronted melodic metal.

Sorry, to say but by far the weakest part of A New Dawn are the THREE female vocalists. On ly the female growler/screamer is any good, the other two are just a joke live.

No, no you just feel like being a little mean this morning, don't you ? You can't pick out just your favourite bits of the pizza. Else you'll remain hungry.

The A New Dawn growler is really good and also has some entertainer qualities. The other two female singers are trying as best as they can and I like the overall result a lot. I wonder, when and where you last saw them live ?

And with regard, what you just said about DELAIN, I agree that George does good work with DELAIN, but I think he only shines there because he's part of a great team.
17.03.2008 - 15:30
Elodie Artour
Slania
I've got a question to all of you,guys,who say:"...is the best of Delain".What do you actually mean by this sentence?The guest appearances on"Lucidity"are NOT part of the band.And I don't think that any one of them is"The Best of Delain".These singers and musicians only make Delain's music sound better.
----
17.03.2008 - 16:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by albatros on 17.03.2008 at 14:30

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.03.2008 at 10:56

No, no you just feel like being a little mean this morning, don't you ? You can't pick out just your favourite bits of the pizza. Else you'll remain hungry.

The A New Dawn growler is really good and also has some entertainer qualities. The other two female singers are trying as best as they can and I like the overall result a lot. I wonder, when and where you last saw them live ?

And with regard, what you just said about DELAIN, I agree that George does good work with DELAIN, but I think he only shines there because he's part of a great team.

I like Delain as a whole, let me get that straight first of all. But IMO George's growls are the strongest part vocally of the album.
I haven't seen Delain live though, which only has oa couple of the people in it from the album. So I wonder what it will be like in a live situation.

As for me being mean... Not really, but I saw A New Dawn live about two-three months ago and although I liked them musically I HATED those dime a dozen wanna sound like Sharon, SImone, Floor type of vocals and 90% of the time those were off-key as well. IMO if you want to use vocals like that you should at least be able to sing in-key lie.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996