Reviewer:
Band: Embrace My Ruin
Album: A Lullaby For A Dying
Release date: 2007

01. In A Deep Silence
02. A Lullaby For A Dying
03. Solitude In Pain
04. Memories Through The Shadows

Bandname, album title, song titles, and having both a male and female vocalist make clear what sort of music we're dealing with. Yes, that's right, gothic doom death metal. According to their biography in the vein of My Dying Bride, Officium Triste, Novembre, Swallow the Sun and Katatonia.
Some of the influences they cite I can totally agree with but some others might have been of influence but I do not hear in Embrace My Ruin's music. Other bands I do however come across, in this well-produced 20 minute demo, are fellow Italians Vladimir (whatever happened to them after their brilliant Mother e.p.?) and Ames De Marbre era Sadness.
So expect some gloomy yet uplifting and at times almost eerie sort of gothic doom death.

Where many a band tends to slip off into cheese territory when employing a female vocalist next to a male grunter/screamer the interaction between the two works really well for Embrace My Ruin. Best examples of this interaction being In A Deep Silence and A Lullaby For A Dying. Here Andrea grunts and at times employs an almost black scream which is brilliantly juxtaposed by Tina's sweeping yet almost stately vocals.
A Lullaby For A Dying is the pick of the four songs with its effective riff , which pops up from time to time and which also closes off the proceedings on this song with a great melodious guitar solo played over it, drawing you back into the song over and over again.

A shame that Embrace My Ruin decided to only release a four track 20 minute demo for I am really curious how it will turn out when they decide to release a full-length.
As we all know originality is far and in between in the gothic doom death sector and that can also be said about this release. But damn, who cares when Embrace My Ruin plays like this. And the originality argument isn't a reason not to sign this band for there certainly is a market for this type of music, just look at the success a band such as Swallow The Sun is currently having. Totally not original. And dare I say it? Even bland most of the times. Okay, burn me I am a heretic, I know. But Swallow The Sun is selling by the buckets full. And Embrace My Ruin is a lot better than them, more varied, better songs, better execution. So come on you record companies, wake up and sing Embrace My Ruin.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse | 25.05.2007

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 20 users
25.05.2007 - 19:07
PrettyMao

Lullaby for a dying what?!?!? Please finish the sentence! I need to know what is dying? A pachyderm? Someone's goldfish? Eddie Munster?

The suspense is killing me.... or maybe that is the effect they are going for, if it is, it sure is working!
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
25.05.2007 - 21:46
ylside

Written by PrettyMao on 25.05.2007 at 19:07

Lullaby for a dying what?!?!? Please finish the sentence! I need to know what is dying? A pachyderm? Someone's goldfish? Eddie Munster?

The suspense is killing me.... or maybe that is the effect they are going for, if it is, it sure is working!

I'll definitly give this demo a listen someday.
27.05.2007 - 16:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by PrettyMao on 25.05.2007 at 19:07

'

My response exactly, everytime I typed the title I somehow replace A by The, hahahaha, but then again the band are Italian...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2008 - 06:53
FOOCK Nam

Wow, excellent band I would say. This can be the best discovery for me recently. I really like the music style of this band. Firstly, the male vocal: grunt like brutal-death voice and screaming voice very fit to their music. I myself have antipathy the female voice but in this case of Embrace My Ruin, they use female vocal very moderately. Their music is very good for me. I have listen to many doom music but all of them mostly are slow while fast and agressive here as with doom influence, only 2 I witnessed are Arcanar and this band, Embrace My Ruin. IMO their music with fast riff (in In A Deep Silence, ...) is very fit to the brutal death vocal and also screaming. Feel free to recommend me bands with same such traits: brutal death-like vocal, could be added more screaming, but must be with fast and agressive riff with doom influence, and no female vocal.

By the way Embrace My Ruin lyric is very good.
01.08.2015 - 20:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
By accident doing my DB duty found this band, looked up bands home page it still iss old school, wgit pre facebook, bandcamp multimedia section but cant download
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4180 | This month: 5