Metal Storm logo
Songs You're Currently Learning To Play

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 25.05.2007 - 20:25
So what song[s] are you learning to play? Why do you choose that song to play? How easy/hard is it for you?

Im currently learning Crystal Mountain by Death. Its intermediate for me, I gotta keep up with speed and its helping my finger speed.
15.10.2010 - 07:41
Sunioj

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.10.2010 at 17:13

I can only assume its because he feels the 2 bottom strings just get in the way, and seeing as he only plays rhythm, he has no need for them. lol

Yep, I think you can appreicate being able to play well more, if you really had to grind it out when you were learning. I can see why a lot of people give up trying to play after a short time though. lol I think it was just my sheer love and passion for music and wanting to play it that made me persevere when at times I did want to give up. xD

I totally agree with you. I played keyboard as well in my teens, and taught myself how to play that too. I havent touched a keyboard for many years though. xD

@Zombie: That isnt you playing, its the actual video for Dead Embryonic Cells. lol

Definitely! I knew the whole time growing up I was itching to get into playing the instruments that my favorite bands use! I used to play piano, cello and sing in a choir. While I did have my fun, I was mainly doing it because my mom who's a music teacher wanted me to. You can't play and excel for any other reason than for yourself - unless you'd really famous one day lol I do miss playing cello, I am planning to save up for one day! I feel like my letting go on the bass and guitar would really contribute to my cello playing. I learned how to improvise on the bass when I was late in my teens, that would be so cool on cello.
16.10.2010 - 03:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sunioj on 15.10.2010 at 07:41
Definitely! I knew the whole time growing up I was itching to get into playing the instruments that my favorite bands use! I used to play piano, cello and sing in a choir. While I did have my fun, I was mainly doing it because my mom who's a music teacher wanted me to. You can't play and excel for any other reason than for yourself - unless you'd really famous one day lol I do miss playing cello, I am planning to save up for one day! I feel like my letting go on the bass and guitar would really contribute to my cello playing. I learned how to improvise on the bass when I was late in my teens, that would be so cool on cello.

Yep, I hadnt been into metal very long before I decided I wanted to be a guitarist. lol And I was never discouraged by the fact that all the bands and musicians I liked were male. If anything, that just made me more determined to become a musician. xD No, I think you should always play for yourself, even if you are in a famous band. lol For me, the best music is played from the heart, you should always play and/or write music primarily for yourself.

I wish I could play the cello, or violin. There's something fascinating about orchestral instruments for me, particularly the strings. You play piano, cello, bass, guitar, and sang in a choir? You're very talented!
16.10.2010 - 03:13
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Practical question, how to make your palm muted down strokes and upstrokes sound the same when playing fast thrash riffs ? ... upstrokes always sound 'weaker' and that is why i prefer to play thrash riffs using only down strokes (hetfeild style) but when playing kreator, sepultura, testament, and that kind of fast stuff, my arm STOPS responding after 2 or 3 minutes ... do i need to work my arm muscles for that or what ?
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
16.10.2010 - 03:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 16.10.2010 at 03:13

Practical question, how to make your palm muted down strokes and upstrokes sound the same when playing fast thrash riffs ? ... upstrokes always sound 'weaker' and that is why i prefer to play thrash riffs using only down strokes (hetfeild style) but when playing kreator, sepultura, testament, and that kind of fast stuff, my arm STOPS responding after 2 or 3 minutes ... do i need to work my arm muscles for that or what ?

Yeah, its not really possible to play really fast thrash riffs with just downstrokes. I used to have a problem with alternate picking, so mainly used downstrokes when I played. I just pushed myself to persevere with alternate picked palm muted riffs, and now Im decent at it. lol I still primarily use downstrokes for slow, and chugga-chugga type riffs though. I feel it gives a more powerful sound. hehee xD

Im now learning to play some Helloween songs. Luckily most of them sound just fine in the lower C Standard tuning. lol
16.10.2010 - 03:26
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I think i need to get thinner strings ... very thick ones just make it more difficult to use alternate picking on them. probably shifting soon to .48 .. maybe go extreme and use .46
----

16.10.2010 - 03:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 16.10.2010 at 03:26

I think i need to get thinner strings ... very thick ones just make it more difficult to use alternate picking on them. probably shifting soon to .48 .. maybe go extreme and use .46

.46 is what Im using now. lol What's extreme about that?
16.10.2010 - 03:30
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Coz i'm used to playing .52 ... so, .46 is a huge shift.

btw, you play .46 using C tuning ? ... is your action set up tight or your strings are loose ?
----

16.10.2010 - 03:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 16.10.2010 at 03:30

Coz i'm used to playing .52 ... so, .46 is a huge shift.

btw, you play .46 using C tuning ? ... is your action set up tight or your strings are loose ?

.52?? My fingers would probably blister very quickly if I used them. lol Even 10's are hard on my fingers.

The action is set up tight. It usually takes a while for the top strings to bed in.
16.10.2010 - 03:37
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I'm afraid though that the nut's string openings might have became wider and when i use thinner strings i'd have a buzz sound and the string would slip from its place alot.
----

17.10.2010 - 01:04
Sunioj

Written by Angelic Storm on 16.10.2010 at 03:10

Yep, I hadnt been into metal very long before I decided I wanted to be a guitarist. lol And I was never discouraged by the fact that all the bands and musicians I liked were male. If anything, that just made me more determined to become a musician. xD No, I think you should always play for yourself, even if you are in a famous band. lol For me, the best music is played from the heart, you should always play and/or write music primarily for yourself.

I wish I could play the cello, or violin. There's something fascinating about orchestral instruments for me, particularly the strings. You play piano, cello, bass, guitar, and sang in a choir? You're very talented!

Well, that's awesome glad to see that you were able to soldier through and just enjoy yourself at the same time. I think its pretty badass when girls play heavy music, in my band right now we have a female drummer and she's pretty damn good! Agreed about the music playing thing, I have some friends who play mainly because they want to be famous. Truthfully, I don't really connect with their music. I personally don't care if the band Im in, or the music I write goes big. At least having the experience of playing music that I enjoy is all the more important to me.

Haha, thank you! It's been a long time since I played piano, and I'm pretty crap at it now tho lol but with choir singing and cello, it comes alot more naturally to me it's so much fun! Piano is not really my thing these days even though I extremely appreciate it - I'm more into string instruments.

EDIT: In Flames - Coerced Coexistance

Minus the solo as always haha.. sucha fun song to play!
28.10.2010 - 08:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sunioj on 17.10.2010 at 01:04
Well, that's awesome glad to see that you were able to soldier through and just enjoy yourself at the same time. I think its pretty badass when girls play heavy music, in my band right now we have a female drummer and she's pretty damn good! Agreed about the music playing thing, I have some friends who play mainly because they want to be famous. Truthfully, I don't really connect with their music. I personally don't care if the band Im in, or the music I write goes big. At least having the experience of playing music that I enjoy is all the more important to me.

Thank you.

That's great, Im totally with you there. The primary reason that anyone should be playing music, is for themselves. If that isn't the case, then the music lacks integrity and soul. Playing mainly for money and fame means that the music isnt honest, and for me, the best music is played from the heart. If I was in a band, and I made money from playing music, I'd just see that as a bonus. If I didnt make any money from it, Id still be content, because playing music Im passionate about is the only thing of importance to me, as far as playing music goes.

Quote:
Haha, thank you! It's been a long time since I played piano, and I'm pretty crap at it now tho lol but with choir singing and cello, it comes alot more naturally to me it's so much fun! Piano is not really my thing these days even though I extremely appreciate it - I'm more into string instruments.

Hehee, no problem! xD I appreciate most instruments, really. lol Though if I could choose to play any other two instruments other than guitar, Id pick violin and piano. Sound wise, Im really attracted to them.

Just learned (by ear): I Want Out, Dr. Stein, and Heavy Metal Hamsters by Helloween. All sounded good in C tuning, which is great, cos not all songs sound good outside of their original tunings. lol
29.10.2010 - 22:47
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I'm currently working on finishing all the songs i've started learning and stopped in the middle

Sepultura - Dead embryonic cells (fuck the solo, i'm not learning it lol )
Death - Crystal Mountain (solos, which are easy, i'm just to lazy to learn them)
Testament - Over the wall (first riff is way too sloppy, other than that track is finished 100%)
Hypocrisy - Eraser (almost done, 98%)
Kreator - suicide terrorist (solos)
----

30.10.2010 - 06:06
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Eraser? Nice one, Hypocrisy are great! xD
30.10.2010 - 12:49
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Definitely, got it all by ear as well as i couldnt find a correct tab. i love the solo too, simple, melodic, and beautiful.
----

31.10.2010 - 15:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 30.10.2010 at 12:49

Definitely, got it all by ear as well as i couldnt find a correct tab. i love the solo too, simple, melodic, and beautiful.

It was actually that song that got me into Hypocrisy, so I always think of that song first when I have them in mind. xD Actually, I might go and learn one of their songs now!
31.10.2010 - 16:31
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Wanna learn something 'halloweenish" ... any suggestions?
----

31.10.2010 - 16:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 31.10.2010 at 16:31

Wanna learn something 'halloweenish" ... any suggestions?

"Halloween" by Helloween! But that's 13 minutes long, so you probably wont want to learn that one..

But yeah, a song by Helloween would be a good choice. hehe xD
31.10.2010 - 16:49
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I am probably going to sound metal-ignorant but i actualy have never listened to helloween before, are they any good?
----

31.10.2010 - 16:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 31.10.2010 at 16:49

I am probably going to sound metal-ignorant but i actualy have never listened to helloween before, are they any good?

What, never? :| lol

I dunno if you will like them... it depends on your tastes, I guess. Their old stuff is melodic speed metal. Their later stuff is power metal, but more riff based, and a bit heavier.
31.10.2010 - 22:57
Sunioj

Written by Angelic Storm on 28.10.2010 at 08:34

Thank you.

That's great, Im totally with you there. The primary reason that anyone should be playing music, is for themselves. If that isn't the case, then the music lacks integrity and soul. Playing mainly for money and fame means that the music isnt honest, and for me, the best music is played from the heart. If I was in a band, and I made money from playing music, I'd just see that as a bonus. If I didnt make any money from it, Id still be content, because playing music Im passionate about is the only thing of importance to me, as far as playing music goes.

Hehee, no problem! xD I appreciate most instruments, really. lol Though if I could choose to play any other two instruments other than guitar, Id pick violin and piano. Sound wise, Im really attracted to them.

Just learned (by ear): I Want Out, Dr. Stein, and Heavy Metal Hamsters by Helloween. All sounded good in C tuning, which is great, cos not all songs sound good outside of their original tunings. lol

True. And the reality is that these days, playing music is soooo competitive that if you eventually get a deal that involves money, you're going to have to work your ass off for it. The amount of bands these days compared to before, you'd be lucky to see that bonus. I'd say that these days it seems like the gap between "musically famous" and a hobby sort of musical outfit is alot more defined (it seems, I could be wrong). But yes, it all just boils down to playing music for personal enjoyment is where its at

Violin is a really cool instrument, alot of people in my family played that growing up (damn italians lol). That, and piano. Sometimes I screw around on the keys, take when I know how to play on bass/guitar and make a melody out of it on the piano - thats always fun

Haven't learned anything new in awhile, I think the most recent thing I learned was probably Maroon 5 - Misery. I just looooove that bass line!!

And agree on the Hypocrisy comments... Adjusting the Sun is my favorite song to play.
02.11.2010 - 00:47
ApolloFC

Working on the keys to some DT tunes... some of the stuff on Images and Words is quite easy. Theres only like two hard parts usually and thats because I lack speed on the piano. Pull Me Under is an example of that.
07.11.2010 - 20:45
Luneth
Account deleted
Working on some F-Zero X Guitar covers at present, 'Title BGM'; 'Endless Challenge' and 'Dream Chaser' [with a friend on keyboard]
09.11.2010 - 10:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sunioj on 31.10.2010 at 22:57
True. And the reality is that these days, playing music is soooo competitive that if you eventually get a deal that involves money, you're going to have to work your ass off for it. The amount of bands these days compared to before, you'd be lucky to see that bonus. I'd say that these days it seems like the gap between "musically famous" and a hobby sort of musical outfit is alot more defined (it seems, I could be wrong). But yes, it all just boils down to playing music for personal enjoyment is where its at

I think the key is finding a deal that allows you complete creative control over the music you want to make. Because most record companies will probably try and have some input over the music you're making, so they can make as much money from you as they can. Well, I think it's much harder to make it as a band in this day and age than it was 20/30 years ago. Things like illegal downloading, and it being much harder to make original music, are responsible for that, I think. And yep, it does boil down to that.

Quote:
Violin is a really cool instrument, alot of people in my family played that growing up (damn italians lol). That, and piano. Sometimes I screw around on the keys, take when I know how to play on bass/guitar and make a melody out of it on the piano - thats always fun

Haven't learned anything new in awhile, I think the most recent thing I learned was probably Maroon 5 - Misery. I just looooove that bass line!!

And agree on the Hypocrisy comments... Adjusting the Sun is my favorite song to play.

I didn't know the violin was associated with Italy... Is that the reason you always see Mafia guys keeping guns in violin cases in movies? Violin just seems a like a very romantic instrument to me. lol Ive never played piano, but I would love to. It seems like an instrument that's very tricky to master. I used to play keyboard years ago, but it seems easier to me than piano would be. Im so jealous, I wish I could play all those instruements! hehe

Just learned Burning Times and Slave To The Dark by Iced Earth. Have never played them in C tuning before, sounded great! xD
10.11.2010 - 18:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Learned - Dragon's Child and Im Ho Tep by Iced Earth.

Currently learning: Iced Earth - Wolf (This song is a complete git to nail, stamina sapping, galloping, palm muting riffs from hell! Another arm destroyer from Sir Schaffer! )
12.11.2010 - 19:25
Sunioj

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.11.2010 at 10:11

I think the key is finding a deal that allows you complete creative control over the music you want to make. Because most record companies will probably try and have some input over the music you're making, so they can make as much money from you as they can. Well, I think it's much harder to make it as a band in this day and age than it was 20/30 years ago. Things like illegal downloading, and it being much harder to make original music, are responsible for that, I think. And yep, it does boil down to that.

I didn't know the violin was associated with Italy... Is that the reason you always see Mafia guys keeping guns in violin cases in movies? Violin just seems a like a very romantic instrument to me. lol Ive never played piano, but I would love to. It seems like an instrument that's very tricky to master. I used to play keyboard years ago, but it seems easier to me than piano would be. Im so jealous, I wish I could play all those instruements! hehe

Just learned Burning Times and Slave To The Dark by Iced Earth. Have never played them in C tuning before, sounded great! xD

Yeah, that's why if I choose to be in a band, I make it clear to the other band members that my preference is to keep it on the hobby/entertainment level. I'd like to have gigs and stuff, but touring? I got my own life I have to keep up with, thats alot to ask for. I wouldn't mind an occasional out of state visit though.

Yeah that's what I thought too... apparently one of my great great grandfathers was a luthier for violins and cellos. My Mom and Sister both played violin. Violin is for us to make spaghetti and dance Italian music to! haha. Like the Tarantella.

Violin is romantic... so is piano. I don't know what it is, but a hot, classy girl sitting next to a grand piano just does magical things for my imagination.

Hmmm.. I haven't played standard C in awhile, I tend not to switch up to much between tunings. BUT, my Cort Action bass is in standard B right now so that's been... very fun. Thing is I didn't expect it to settle in well at all because I used extra thin strings, but it sounds great!!
14.11.2010 - 15:07
Sangre Sani

Right now I'm trying to learn Unforgiven II solo. It's quite easy and it's really fun to play imo.
21.11.2010 - 01:24
Sunioj

Just learned:

Entombed - Eyemaster
- Rotten Soil

So goddamn fun to play
22.11.2010 - 14:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sunioj on 12.11.2010 at 19:25
Yeah, that's why if I choose to be in a band, I make it clear to the other band members that my preference is to keep it on the hobby/entertainment level. I'd like to have gigs and stuff, but touring? I got my own life I have to keep up with, thats alot to ask for. I wouldn't mind an occasional out of state visit though.

Yeah that's what I thought too... apparently one of my great great grandfathers was a luthier for violins and cellos. My Mom and Sister both played violin. Violin is for us to make spaghetti and dance Italian music to! haha. Like the Tarantella.

I think I could quite easily do touring. Although Id have to give my cat away if I did that, which Id be reluctant to do as I love him so much. But aside from the cat, there's no barrier that would prevent me from touring providing I could afford it. But yeah, Id really only want to be in band for hobby/enterainment. I dont think I could deal with all the crap that comes with being very well known. And I could only sign with a record label if I could have complete creative control over the music I wanted to make. Id never compromise that.

Like the what? Ive never heard of that. And what's a luthier? *feels really stupid* lol

Quote:
Violin is romantic... so is piano. I don't know what it is, but a hot, classy girl sitting next to a grand piano just does magical things for my imagination.

Hmmm.. I haven't played standard C in awhile, I tend not to switch up to much between tunings. BUT, my Cort Action bass is in standard B right now so that's been... very fun. Thing is I didn't expect it to settle in well at all because I used extra thin strings, but it sounds great!!

Im not hot, and I cant play piano sadly... but I can still dream. lol But yeah, those are romantic instruments, which could be why Ive always wanted to play them, I dunno. xD

I only have one guitar, which makes it very annoying when I want to play a song which is a different tuning to the one my guitar is in. lol I use 10's, which apparently are too thin for C Standard, but Ive never had a problem. hehe

Eyemaster is an awesome song! You inspired me to get back to playing some Entombed. \m/ "Chief Rebel Angel" and "Out Of Hand" are immense fun to play, especially the latters' main riff which is just a monster! xD Currently learning "Crawl", which is a bit of a toughie!
23.11.2010 - 21:21
Sunioj

Written by Angelic Storm on 22.11.2010 at 14:21

I think I could quite easily do touring. Although Id have to give my cat away if I did that, which Id be reluctant to do as I love him so much. But aside from the cat, there's no barrier that would prevent me from touring providing I could afford it. But yeah, Id really only want to be in band for hobby/enterainment. I dont think I could deal with all the crap that comes with being very well known. And I could only sign with a record label if I could have complete creative control over the music I wanted to make. Id never compromise that.

Like the what? Ive never heard of that. And what's a luthier? *feels really stupid* lol

Im not hot, and I cant play piano sadly... but I can still dream. lol But yeah, those are romantic instruments, which could be why Ive always wanted to play them, I dunno. xD

I only have one guitar, which makes it very annoying when I want to play a song which is a different tuning to the one my guitar is in. lol I use 10's, which apparently are too thin for C Standard, but Ive never had a problem. hehe

Eyemaster is an awesome song! You inspired me to get back to playing some Entombed. \m/ "Chief Rebel Angel" and "Out Of Hand" are immense fun to play, especially the latters' main riff which is just a monster! xD Currently learning "Crawl", which is a bit of a toughie!

Same! Once my old band told me to come up with a riff to make for band practice so we can brainstorm on a new song. I was really proud of my song. But then when I got the other people to play it with me it sounded happy and upbeat hahaha it was really weird. The song was supposed to be the exact opposite I have a clear vision of my music should sound like and I can see myself being really protective of that.

Oh haha, the Tarantella is an Italian folk song. It means "tarantula"... I don't remember if its because of the shape the hand makes when its playing the cello or the people dancing (that would be quite frightening to see people dancing like spiders). But you'd probably recognize it if you heard it, its very popular! I'm not sure if I spelled it right, but a luthier is a dude who fixes/repairs instruments. That's the downside with having a cello/violin because its so expensive to even fix one string!

Oh whatever, I'm sure you look just fine and yes one can always dream, even though its a whiles away in terms of finance, I still dream of having my own house with a jam room... oh, that would be so cool. I'd feel like a little kid with all the access to instruments.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the string width! I have the smallest strings possible on a bass and I've been wanting to downtune my bass to standard B for awhile. But I've waited to find a professional to do it for me, so I said screw it... lol got my allen wrench... adjusted the bridge myself, tuned the strings. The strings are a bit small for such a gritty, low sound but it really works just great .
26.11.2010 - 14:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sunioj on 23.11.2010 at 21:21
Same! Once my old band told me to come up with a riff to make for band practice so we can brainstorm on a new song. I was really proud of my song. But then when I got the other people to play it with me it sounded happy and upbeat hahaha it was really weird. The song was supposed to be the exact opposite I have a clear vision of my music should sound like and I can see myself being really protective of that.

Oh haha, the Tarantella is an Italian folk song. It means "tarantula"... I don't remember if its because of the shape the hand makes when its playing the cello or the people dancing (that would be quite frightening to see people dancing like spiders). But you'd probably recognize it if you heard it, its very popular! I'm not sure if I spelled it right, but a luthier is a dude who fixes/repairs instruments. That's the downside with having a cello/violin because its so expensive to even fix one string!

Oh whatever, I'm sure you look just fine and yes one can always dream, even though its a whiles away in terms of finance, I still dream of having my own house with a jam room... oh, that would be so cool. I'd feel like a little kid with all the access to instruments.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the string width! I have the smallest strings possible on a bass and I've been wanting to downtune my bass to standard B for awhile. But I've waited to find a professional to do it for me, so I said screw it... lol got my allen wrench... adjusted the bridge myself, tuned the strings. The strings are a bit small for such a gritty, low sound but it really works just great .

I cant really write songs...well not good ones anyway! But I know exactly where you're coming from. Playing and especially creating music should be a very personal thing, and I think its a shame that some people allow that to be compromised just for money and/or fame.

"Tarantula"? I hope its nothing to do with spiders, because they scare me! lol Ahha! I actually did know what a luthier is, I just forgot... thanx for reminding me! *blushing*

Haha, thanx. Im not sure about that though.. lol Oh god yes! If I had decent finances, Id get a house and make one room purely for musical instruments. xD I remember one time I heard Kerry King said he "only" owned 24 guitars, and said he didnt own a lot of guitars! I mean, what the hell? He's definitely not living in the real world is he, if he thinks that isnt a lot of guitars... lol

I have a Floyd Rose on my guitar, which can make tuning an absolute nightmare. Especially if you're wishing to downtune it. Its given me a few headaches when I change strings, let me tell you! hehe

Currently learning some Judas Priest songs. Specifically songs from "Painkiller". The solo in "A Touch Of Evil" is godlike, but hard as hell to play! lol