Metal Storm logo
Songs You're Currently Learning To Play

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 25.05.2007 - 20:25
So what song[s] are you learning to play? Why do you choose that song to play? How easy/hard is it for you?

Im currently learning Crystal Mountain by Death. Its intermediate for me, I gotta keep up with speed and its helping my finger speed.
26.11.2010 - 14:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sunioj on 23.11.2010 at 21:21
Same! Once my old band told me to come up with a riff to make for band practice so we can brainstorm on a new song. I was really proud of my song. But then when I got the other people to play it with me it sounded happy and upbeat hahaha it was really weird. The song was supposed to be the exact opposite I have a clear vision of my music should sound like and I can see myself being really protective of that.

Oh haha, the Tarantella is an Italian folk song. It means "tarantula"... I don't remember if its because of the shape the hand makes when its playing the cello or the people dancing (that would be quite frightening to see people dancing like spiders). But you'd probably recognize it if you heard it, its very popular! I'm not sure if I spelled it right, but a luthier is a dude who fixes/repairs instruments. That's the downside with having a cello/violin because its so expensive to even fix one string!

Oh whatever, I'm sure you look just fine and yes one can always dream, even though its a whiles away in terms of finance, I still dream of having my own house with a jam room... oh, that would be so cool. I'd feel like a little kid with all the access to instruments.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the string width! I have the smallest strings possible on a bass and I've been wanting to downtune my bass to standard B for awhile. But I've waited to find a professional to do it for me, so I said screw it... lol got my allen wrench... adjusted the bridge myself, tuned the strings. The strings are a bit small for such a gritty, low sound but it really works just great .

I cant really write songs...well not good ones anyway! But I know exactly where you're coming from. Playing and especially creating music should be a very personal thing, and I think its a shame that some people allow that to be compromised just for money and/or fame.

"Tarantula"? I hope its nothing to do with spiders, because they scare me! lol Ahha! I actually did know what a luthier is, I just forgot... thanx for reminding me! *blushing*

Haha, thanx. Im not sure about that though.. lol Oh god yes! If I had decent finances, Id get a house and make one room purely for musical instruments. xD I remember one time I heard Kerry King said he "only" owned 24 guitars, and said he didnt own a lot of guitars! I mean, what the hell? He's definitely not living in the real world is he, if he thinks that isnt a lot of guitars... lol

I have a Floyd Rose on my guitar, which can make tuning an absolute nightmare. Especially if you're wishing to downtune it. Its given me a few headaches when I change strings, let me tell you! hehe

Currently learning some Judas Priest songs. Specifically songs from "Painkiller". The solo in "A Touch Of Evil" is godlike, but hard as hell to play! lol
26.11.2010 - 21:19
Sunioj

Written by Angelic Storm on 26.11.2010 at 14:59

I cant really write songs...well not good ones anyway! But I know exactly where you're coming from. Playing and especially creating music should be a very personal thing, and I think its a shame that some people allow that to be compromised just for money and/or fame.

"Tarantula"? I hope its nothing to do with spiders, because they scare me! lol Ahha! I actually did know what a luthier is, I just forgot... thanx for reminding me! *blushing*

Haha, thanx. Im not sure about that though.. lol Oh god yes! If I had decent finances, Id get a house and make one room purely for musical instruments. xD I remember one time I heard Kerry King said he "only" owned 24 guitars, and said he didnt own a lot of guitars! I mean, what the hell? He's definitely not living in the real world is he, if he thinks that isnt a lot of guitars... lol

I have a Floyd Rose on my guitar, which can make tuning an absolute nightmare. Especially if you're wishing to downtune it. Its given me a few headaches when I change strings, let me tell you! hehe

Currently learning some Judas Priest songs. Specifically songs from "Painkiller". The solo in "A Touch Of Evil" is godlike, but hard as hell to play! lol

Haha.. well, I do admit I'm no Mozart - but I'm really good at improvising. The problem is that I have bad short term memory (probably from certain things in my lifestyle lol), so if I improvise a good riff and move on to a verse or something to compliment it, I might not remember the original riff. D

Yeah, those damn spiders... its pretty brutal when you think about it. I guess even my Italian/farmer ancestors had a mind for brutality, like chasing the pigs that ran after my Dad (true story) and dancing like spiders \m/

Geez.. that's a lot of freaking instruments. I'd rather have one super duper guitar than 24 good ones. Ok, maybe 2 super guitars... haha. The electric guitar of my dreams is a Gibson flying V, those things sound soooo good haha. Maybe its because a lot of my favorite bands use Gibsons.

Ohh yeah. My friend has a custom Ibanez but its also a floyd rose thingy. Those things look so tedious to tune. Does it stay in tune better or something though? It looks kinda high tech and sexy though

Ahhhh, Painkiller! That is such a great Judas Priest song (album too right?). I never heard a touch of Evil though, I'm going to check that out when I get home from work! I played the Decapitated - Organic Hallucinoses album through trying to see what song I'm going to learn next... maybe Invisible Control or Post Organic! The timing is a little tricky... but I think I can do it!
28.11.2010 - 05:27
Alex Smith

Aerosmith's "Pink" and Stryper's "Lady"
09.12.2010 - 16:22
ANGEL REAPER

"Key to the gate" by Burzum
I like the solo/lead in it
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.12.2010 - 00:49
Sunioj

Dark Tranquility - Monochromatic Stains & The Treason wall on my bass...

pretty fun
12.12.2010 - 01:08
0rpheus

Currently I'm making an Opeth cover of Windowpane. I play keys/synths so I'll replace the guitars with some pianos.
----
I would prefer not to.
19.12.2010 - 01:43
0rpheus

Written by 0rpheus on 12.12.2010 at 01:08

Currently I'm making an Opeth cover of Windowpane. I play keys/synths so I'll replace the guitars with some pianos.

It's finished
----
I would prefer not to.
19.12.2010 - 20:20
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by 0rpheus on 19.12.2010 at 01:43

It's finished

its awesome man, and the piano parts replacing the guitar are good..

i'll show u a video of 'Barren Earth', their keyboardist uses a guitar-like effect, when i first heard it i thought it was a guitar ... can your keyboards do that sound ?

----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
22.12.2010 - 01:12
The Night Wisher

Keyboards can never sound like a guitar, but when playing a lead with distortion guitar pad it gives good sound for solo but never sounds like it's real.
22.12.2010 - 02:53
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by The Night Wisher on 22.12.2010 at 01:12

Keyboards can never sound like a guitar, but when playing a lead with distortion guitar pad it gives good sound for solo but never sounds like it's real.

if u watch the video i posted with the message above u you'll know what i'm talking about (i guess youtube is blocked in Syria that's why u cant see the video... right ?)
anyways, i didnt believe it either until i heard it for myself.. and the guy is soo talented in using that ball-like thing in making vibratos and bends to make the keyboards sound like a guitar.
----

22.12.2010 - 03:22
0rpheus

Written by Zombie on 19.12.2010 at 20:20

its awesome man, and the piano parts replacing the guitar are good..

i'll show u a video of 'Barren Earth', their keyboardist uses a guitar-like effect, when i first heard it i thought it was a guitar ... can your keyboards do that sound ?

I'm not sure if it has the exact sound but it has some Synth Lead/Pad voices + Overdriven, Distortion, Feedback Guitar. Anyway this dude has got a nice YAMAHA along with 'nord electro' which is my dream synthesizer along with some KORG keyboards but I just have a goddamn stupid YAMAHA with no Pitch Bend wheel
----
I would prefer not to.
22.12.2010 - 12:04
The Night Wisher

I've got a stupid yamaha without a bend wheel, welcome to the gang
but I am thinking of buying a KORG X50 but it's not available here (as usual nothing is available).
22.12.2010 - 12:31
The Night Wisher

I've watched the video with a proxy, well, dude it's obvious it's a keyboard but it's extremely nice especially that Hijazi scale he's playing , I guess he's using Synth lead (maybe sawtooth) mixed with guitar sound and there's distortion on the output .... that's what I guess, I am not any sure, but no doubts this is OBVIOUSLY a keyboard.
Note: I am not saying it's not nice, on contrary it adds a lot to the song.
22.12.2010 - 19:56
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Its keyboards, i never said it isn't .. i just said that for like the first few seconds i actually thought it ws a guitar solo coz they guy is soo good in mixing his effects and playing guitar scales (guitar-common scales) and for his use of the bend wheel.
if it sounded EXACTLy like a guitar then what's the point of it? .. i think this 'guitar-ish' tone is good.. it has the guitar feel yet sounds like a keyboards.

btw, i have an 8-octave Yamaha with a bend pitch wheel .. its actually guite good but its old.. about 12 or 13 years old back when i used to play piano as a kid until i was 10 or 12.
----

04.01.2011 - 13:12
JD
Account deleted
Deftones - One Week, cool song on bass.
08.01.2011 - 18:37
Sangre Sani

Solo from Ace Of Spades. It's pretty easy.
09.01.2011 - 19:01
TheHeadHunter

Learning the solos from Deaths Spiritual Healing properly by tabs I wish the net was around when I first tried to learn it all of by ear....

Covered the song live in Sydney in 1994 (My first band at 16yrs old lol) .
I pulled the solos off OK from picking them up by ear but have found a couple of mistakes over 10 years later heheh...

Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxOY6s5Xbas
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxOY6s5Xbas
10.01.2011 - 15:18
JD
Account deleted
Cliff Burton - Anasthesia (the bass solo in the kill'em all album)
10.01.2011 - 19:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sunioj on 26.11.2010 at 21:19
Haha.. well, I do admit I'm no Mozart - but I'm really good at improvising. The problem is that I have bad short term memory (probably from certain things in my lifestyle lol), so if I improvise a good riff and move on to a verse or something to compliment it, I might not remember the original riff. D

Well, I can improvise a lot too. Its just that the results of that improvisation are rarely any good. Haha, that's why it's a good idea to try and record any good ideas you have as soon as you can. Because its easy to forget something good you've came up with if you dont do that.

Quote:
Yeah, those damn spiders... its pretty brutal when you think about it. I guess even my Italian/farmer ancestors had a mind for brutality, like chasing the pigs that ran after my Dad (true story) and dancing like spiders \m/

Yeah well, spiders are pretty brutal. They dont have to do anything to send the shivers up me! lol

Quote:
Geez.. that's a lot of freaking instruments. I'd rather have one super duper guitar than 24 good ones. Ok, maybe 2 super guitars... haha. The electric guitar of my dreams is a Gibson flying V, those things sound soooo good haha. Maybe its because a lot of my favorite bands use Gibsons.

Well, seeing as he's Kerry King, all 24 of his guitars are likely to be of high quality. Oh... yep Id love a Gibson flying V! Either a red or black one. Ive never played one, but Id imagine with how much they cost, they sound as good as they look! xD

Quote:
Ohh yeah. My friend has a custom Ibanez but its also a floyd rose thingy. Those things look so tedious to tune. Does it stay in tune better or something though? It looks kinda high tech and sexy though

They can be awful. I cant even play my guitar right now, because I tuned it to C standard, but one of the strings sounds weird when I hit it, and the bottom e is so close to the fretboard it sounds very muffled, and you cant hear whats being played with it. But yeah, it does stay in tune better, which is the main strong point of floating tremolos. Especially if you use the whammy bar a lot, which is the main cause for guitars without locking systems to go out of tune.

Quote:
Ahhhh, Painkiller! That is such a great Judas Priest song (album too right?). I never heard a touch of Evil though, I'm going to check that out when I get home from work! I played the Decapitated - Organic Hallucinoses album through trying to see what song I'm going to learn next... maybe Invisible Control or Post Organic! The timing is a little tricky... but I think I can do it!

"Painkiller" is a great album, I love all of it! Over the years, I have learned to play every song on the album. Touch Of Evil is definitely the easiest, if you dont count the solo! Ive never tried to play any Decapitated songs, but Id imagine they'd be quite difficult! hehe
19.01.2011 - 04:24
Black_Sheep

Biosfear by Circus Maximus
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
21.01.2011 - 07:46
Sunioj

Written by Angelic Storm on 10.01.2011 at 19:43

Well, I can improvise a lot too. Its just that the results of that improvisation are rarely any good. Haha, that's why it's a good idea to try and record any good ideas you have as soon as you can. Because its easy to forget something good you've came up with if you dont do that.

Well, seeing as he's Kerry King, all 24 of his guitars are likely to be of high quality. Oh... yep Id love a Gibson flying V! Either a red or black one. Ive never played one, but Id imagine with how much they cost, they sound as good as they look! xD

They can be awful. I cant even play my guitar right now, because I tuned it to C standard, but one of the strings sounds weird when I hit it, and the bottom e is so close to the fretboard it sounds very muffled, and you cant hear whats being played with it. But yeah, it does stay in tune better, which is the main strong point of floating tremolos. Especially if you use the whammy bar a lot, which is the main cause for guitars without locking systems to go out of tune.

"Painkiller" is a great album, I love all of it! Over the years, I have learned to play every song on the album. Touch Of Evil is definitely the easiest, if you dont count the solo! Ive never tried to play any Decapitated songs, but Id imagine they'd be quite difficult! hehe

Haha, so true! Sometimes I hum out melodies that sound good to me, and then try to play it out and see how it goes. That's what I do when I'm feeling a block in my concentration improvising is a useful too, but what's harder is imagining how the next riff/improv will fit in to what we're doing - to envision it! My bass mentor has trying help me envision the notes I play for years and years, I think some people are just better at it. The bastard can literally pick up anything and make music with it. He's nuts. BOTTOM LINE: Improvising is the shitt!!

Yeah, for something like Gibson or any praised brand I'd be willing to spend top dollar for quality. I know some brands are just as good as others, and that some charge more just because they say "PEAVEY" or "MARSHALL" on it, but for a Gibson flying V, I know for sure that it's going to be worth every buck!

I see! I'm sure glad there is no such thing as a floyd rose for a bass (though it would be cool to see what a whammy bar can achieve on a bass :O it would probably sound really brutal!

Haha, Decapitated isn't so bad. Some songs are more straightforward without much changes, so even if the riff is fast, learning the song really isn't hard. If the song has a helluva lot of changes, that's when my head starts spinning. lol their bassist is pretty damn good too. You can't hear him that well on the albums, but I've seen some live videos where it's just the guitarist, bassist, drummer and vocalist - the bass would take over riffs usually played by the second guitarist on the album, and it actually sounded very precise. Not a lot of bassists can do that haha. It's like a lead bass thing!

I just learned Nightrage - Hero! So much fun to play, took me about an hour and a half to figure out :] I'm absolutely addicted to this song now.
21.01.2011 - 14:07
ANGEL REAPER

Oi people did anyone of you have or know where to find tabs for Bathory " Bestial lust"?...
My damn ear is dumb to figure what is played in song...
Thanks in advance ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.02.2011 - 08:40
N O V A

N O V A is the biproduct of Chazz McConnell, (SOL ASUNDER), and Max Seeman, (ANOMALOUS), delivering thought provoking instrumental music in razor sharp production. The full length, "Invert Theory", is available free!

dnload the album free here!

http://novashreds.bandcamp.com/album/invert-theory
08.03.2011 - 08:53
Timmeh
Dudeman
Hangar 18 (Megadeth) Gah!! Its so hard, I'm about halfway through on guitar.
11.03.2011 - 18:37
Sangre Sani

Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man" solo
30.03.2011 - 02:53
Void_Eater
Account deleted
I'm quite new to guitar, and currently learning the solo the Enter Sandman. It's supposed to be an easy solo... If learning this solo is so damn hard, then how hard will it be to learn Malmsteen stuff...
30.03.2011 - 03:18
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 02:53

I'm quite new to guitar, and currently learning the solo the Enter Sandman. It's supposed to be an easy solo... If learning this solo is so damn hard, then how hard will it be to learn Malmsteen stuff...

Keep at it! Remember the harder it is, the more rewarding when you finish! I actually started by learning 3-4 songs off Judas Priest's Painkiller album! So dont start to easy it takes more steps if you do.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
30.03.2011 - 03:24
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 03:18

Keep at it! Remember the harder it is, the more rewarding when you finish! I actually started by learning 3-4 songs off Judas Priest's Painkiller album! So dont start to easy it takes more steps if you do.

I just learn what my teacher says to learn. Seeing as he's really good, and just sits there and sweep picks while he's telling me about something in a song, I'll trust him to lead me on the right path. Also, I played classical guitar since I was nine, so that helps also
30.03.2011 - 03:29
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 03:24

I just learn what my teacher says to learn. Seeing as he's really good, and just sits there and sweep picks while he's telling me about something in a song, I'll trust him to lead me on the right path. Also, I played classical guitar since I was nine, so that helps also

Well I have been playing 20 years myself, mind if I Email you an unedited solo clip I'm working on? Hell I just recorded it last night. This is the first of 3 mini solos in an instrumental, then 1 long solo.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
30.03.2011 - 04:09
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 03:29

Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 03:24

Well I have been playing 20 years myself, mind if I Email you an unedited solo clip I'm working on? Hell I just recorded it last night. This is the first of 3 mini solos in an instrumental, then 1 long solo.

Go for it, I'm curious to hear.