Metal Storm logo
Water Music For The Drowned And Those Aspiring To Become Them

A lot of music reminds me of water, so here are the most prominent ones. An actual water theme is often in place, but not mandatory.

List artwork by Susanna Majuri

Created by: Desha | 04.03.2019

1. Slow (USA) - Unsleep
(funeral doom) Wailing melodies like the songs of sirens are your guide on a tour through shipwrecks.
2. Bell Witch - Four Phantoms
(funeral doom) Yes, only one song here fits. It should be pretty obvious which. Drowning itself can be very peaceful, and Bell Witch conveys it as such.
3. Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
(groove death) The pummeling of waves interlaced with the sound of peaceful, but also terrifying, giants. Also a calm body of water, under a blue sky on songs like "World To Come".
4. Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
(funeral doom) The darkest depths of the Ocean and the terror of the very real giants that inhabit it. Struggle and eventual surrender against the forces of nature. But also moments of beauty in the clearing of the sky after a storm.
5. Baroness - Blue Record
(sludge) A small tumbling river and the often fun, often melancholic nature of water.
6. Mastodon - Leviathan
(progressive sludge) A fight against nature, with a less bleak but not less epic outlook than Ahab's take on the famous story.
7. Circle Of Ouroborus - Eleven Fingers
(experimental black) The first ever album recorded underwater, or at least it sounds like it. "I'm telling you below will be the new above in due time!" "I'll drink to that!"
8. Sea Witch - The Blackened Sea
(post) A long and arduous journey across the ocean, not to new and unseen shores, but far away from any known ones as possible.
9. Catacombs - In The Depths Of R'lyeh
(funeral doom) More a watery cavern than the uttermost depths of the sea, but the exact right atmosphere for horrors and cities yet - thankfully - undiscovered.
10. The Ocean - Pelagial
(post) A journey ever deeper into the depths, but showcasing more the magical side of the ocean. Pun intended.
11. Eight Bells - The Captain's Daughter
(psychedelic/prog) An enjoyable boatride where the captain was probably like: "All man abord! We're getting into tumultuous waters! ... Wait actually no, let's just drink rum and enjoy the sunlight for now... Ok now I need you guys! ... Nevermind actually. Fuck, now it's getting cold." "Captain did you see that random waterfall there?" "ugh"
12. On Thorns I Lay - Orama
(death doom) A beautiful eulogy for a dead city, lost to the waves. [suggestion by Starvynth]
13. ...
14. Question and Answer section
15. Question #1 - Seriously, only 10 entries and they're the most basic and obvious ones you can think of? Are you dumb or just lazy??
Yes.
16. Question #2 - Can I make suggestions to improve this train wreck of a list?
Please do. Seriously I'm begging you.
17. Question #3 - Do you have any actual interesting music pieces we should listen we didn't know about yet or are you just wasting our time?
Check out William Basinski's Water Music II if you're not afraid to venture out of metal. Otherwise, fuck you these are all great albums you should listen to more.
18. Question #4 - Is this the end of the list?
Yes.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Desha ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 27   Visited by: 73 users
07.03.2019 - 01:11
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Nice and quite a novel idea for a list!

In reference to your question #2, I'd like to suggest On Thorns I Lay's album Orama.

Intentionally, it sounds just like it was recorded under and/or nearby water, it's more or less a concept album dealing with themes like Atlantis and underwater life.
Besides, it's a very decent album and a hidden gem of 90's death doom.
----
signatures = SPAM
07.03.2019 - 02:22
Mercurial

Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve. Because they use a mythogical instrument called the "diesel harp" which was a diesel powered guitar connected to a giant water tank, in order to get their guitar sound (it was bollocks of course but their whole mythos is interesting).

Also, the AFoS spin-off band, The Water Witch. Because their name has the word "water" in it if you look closely.

Heavy Water Experiments - Philosopher Queen. Probably my favourite band that no one knows about. The vocals are an acquired taste.

Maybe Incantation, Disma etc. because Craig Pillard honestly looks like he crawled out from the fucking depths of the ocean.

And this, because it was once described as sounding like Blut Aus Nord being played under water.
07.03.2019 - 10:27
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
07.03.2019 - 13:13
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
This is a very unique idea.

I need to get on your list + recommendations asap. It's drooling.
07.03.2019 - 13:36
JoHn Doe

Very cool idea for a list.
I don't know what to suggest, maybe Oceansize, a great, often overlooked prog band? We Lost the Sea - some nice post rock.

I'll get back to this.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
07.03.2019 - 21:00
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Starvynth on 07.03.2019 at 01:11

Nice and quite a novel idea for a list!

In reference to your question #2, I'd like to suggest On Thorns I Lay's album Orama.

Intentionally, it sounds just like it was recorded under and/or nearby water, it's more or less a concept album dealing with themes like Atlantis and underwater life.
Besides, it's a very decent album and a hidden gem of 90's death doom.

I really loved this one! So thanks for the recommendation. Added.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
07.03.2019 - 23:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Anything by Fungoid Stream coukd go on this list. But especially the Oceanus album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2019 - 22:58
Uldreth

The first album by A Storm Of Light could also be here

10.03.2019 - 00:01
JoHn Doe

Maybe Marillion - Ocean Cloud... A brilliant epic if you ask me.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
12.03.2019 - 00:15
Maco
Pvt Funderground
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.03.2019 - 05:55
Traezeus

Cormorant - Metazoa
12.03.2019 - 11:16
Mercurial

Written by Maco on 12.03.2019 at 00:15

Why isn't this on MS. Seems like a cult classic to me.
12.03.2019 - 11:28
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Mercurial on 12.03.2019 at 11:16

Written by Maco on 12.03.2019 at 00:15

Why isn't this on MS. Seems like a cult classic to me.

Let me get home
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
12.03.2019 - 11:35
Mercurial

Written by RaduP on 12.03.2019 at 11:28

Let me get home

Good boy.
13.03.2019 - 00:10
musclassia

Dreadnought - A Wake In Sacred Waves maybe? Certainly water-themed
13.03.2019 - 00:14
Desha
delicious dish
Written by musclassia on 13.03.2019 at 00:10

water theme alone doesn't really make the list. My intention was to have music, that sounds like some aspect of water, that creates a mental image of water. Of course water themes can help here (especially since bands then focus on it also sounding water-y), but the theme alone does not qualify.
That said, thanks a lot for the rec, I'll check it out in due time!

Written by RaduP on 12.03.2019 at 11:28

Let me get home

Make sure to rest from time to time!
----
13.03.2019 - 00:16
musclassia

Written by Desha on 13.03.2019 at 00:14

Written by musclassia on 13.03.2019 at 00:10

water theme alone doesn't really make the list. My intention was to have music, that sounds like some aspect of water, that creates a mental image of water. Of course water themes can help here (especially since bands then focus on it also sounding water-y), but the theme alone does not qualify.
That said, thanks a lot for the rec, I'll check it out in due time!

Yeah sure thing, I associate the album with water but it's been a while since I listened to it so can't remember how oceanic it sounds

Actually, that comment reminded me, would definitely throw in Isis - Oceanic as well
13.03.2019 - 00:22
Desha
delicious dish
Written by musclassia on 13.03.2019 at 00:16

Actually, that comment reminded me, would definitely throw in Isis - Oceanic as well

Yeah actually this one was on the list draft, but I wanted to listen to it in full before including it and I just keep getting distracted by new cool stuff lol
----
14.03.2019 - 14:34
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed By The Ocean's Tide
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
14.03.2019 - 18:09
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Nefarious on 14.03.2019 at 14:34

Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed By The Ocean's Tide

Cosidered them before, but I'm not sure if they sound more space-y or more ocean-y.
----
17.03.2019 - 13:46
Nejde
CommunityManager
There's a French melodic techdeath band called Atlantis Chronicles (that definitely should be here on MS btw). You should check them out. They go full out on the water theme. First album is called Ten Miles Underwater (the intro track doesn't get more watery than that) and the second Barton's Odyssey. Highly recommended
----
Bow to the King Hercules!
09.11.2019 - 16:31
Zap
I see your Slow (USA) and raise you one Slow (BE)
09.11.2019 - 17:32
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
08.03.2020 - 16:33
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Slow's V - Oceans and Drown's Subaqueous, maybe?
----
signatures = SPAM
08.03.2020 - 22:55
Desha
delicious dish
Written by Starvynth on 08.03.2020 at 16:33

Slow's V - Oceans and Drown's Subaqueous, maybe?

Well I technically already included Drown here and what I heard from the other Slow's output didn't really sound all watery to me but I'd have to listen again.
----
25.03.2020 - 22:58
nikarg

Radu's review of Drown brought me here. May I suggest this little EP? It has also been very favourably reviewed by yours truly.

Written by Starvynth on 07.03.2019 at 01:11

In reference to your question #2, I'd like to suggest On Thorns I Lay's album Orama... it's a very decent album and a hidden gem of 90's death doom.

Love it. To bits.
02.09.2023 - 13:43
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Oh, yeah, I love ocean themed metal. Especially Lovecraft influenced.

Check out Dryad for deep-sea terror

Hits total: 1313 | This month: 9