01. Meditation (All My Gods Are Gone)
02. Wind On The Storm
03. Blood From Stone
04. The Poisoner
05. The Gateway
06. For The Wicked
07. Saints And Sinners
08. In From The Ouside

It was about time, with all the '80s nostalgia lately, that we had some heavy metal that actually sounds like '80s heavy metal.

Yes, I know, heavy metal revival and '80s nostalgia feel like they've been going on for at least 15 years and it just doesn't go away to make room for '90s nostalgia and nu metal revival. A lot of heavy metal revival bands, especially the ones that are more popular now, feel a lot closer to that "hail-and-kill" speed metal thing. You know, like Visigoth or Gatekeeper. I'm not really an expert on '80s heavy metal, so take my words with a grain of salt, but Sanhedrin sound closer to Saxon than Manilla Road.

One of the first things I was surprised to find out about Sanhedrin is that they're female-fronted. Even after finding that out, I had a hard time really accepting that due to heavy metal singers having such high-registered voices (think Budgie or Rush or even the aforementioned Saxon) is really nothing unusual, so it didn't feel out of place. So now the lead vocals of this album are somewhat familiar to the role of Ellen Ripley in Alien, which would suffer no change were the genders reversed. But regardless of that, the vocals on this album are soothing and not overly powerful to get into operatic power metal territories.

And even if this is a rehash of classic heavy metal, a lot of the songwriting is really engaging and not that focused on sticking to a simple verse-chorus-verse-solo thing, and with at least three of the songs being over seven minutes long, it's clear that there's quite a bit of effort put into the songs. None of the performances feel over the top or really that virtuosic, so Sanhedrin clearly had to make up for it with the dynamic songwriting. And they did. There's slight nuances of doom metal and hard rock and speed metal and a lot of moments from the longer tracks like the title track feel almost cinematic, but also cinematic in clearly '80s fashion.

The Poisoner doesn't really bring anything new to the table and will bring no joy to someone who is sick of rehashes and the omnipresence of '80s nostalgia. But they also remind us of why the music that they imitate was so great, and it is not often that a rehash makes me glad that I am listening to it instead of making me feel like I'd rather listen to whatever it imitates.

Written on 10.03.2019 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 66 users
10.03.2019 - 22:29
nikarg

I was listening to this for the last couple of days thinking about reviewing it, but you're faster than a laser bullet.

I like the hard rock and doom elements in it and I really love the lady's vocals. Your last sentence encapsulates exactly my thoughts on it.
10.03.2019 - 22:35
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 10.03.2019 at 22:29

I was listening to this for the last couple of days thinking about reviewing it, but you're faster than a laser bullet.

I like the hard rock and doom elements in it and I really love the lady's vocals. Your last sentence encapsulates exactly my thoughts on it.

Faster than a bullet
Terrifying scream
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
10.03.2019 - 22:36
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by nikarg on 10.03.2019 at 22:29

But ya really wanna review some heavy metal rehash, be my guest
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
10.03.2019 - 22:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
They take best from 80 and put to days Wibe into music, good band even doom fans can like it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.03.2019 - 23:02
nikarg

Written by RaduP on 10.03.2019 at 22:36

But ya really wanna review some heavy metal rehash, be my guest

Faster than a laser bullet, louder than an atom bomb... challenge accepted!
It was my other hm candidate along with Sanhedrin
17.01.2021 - 20:37
Rating: 7
tintinb

I felt the same way after I listened to the vocals, couldn't believe it was a female singer singing.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 2129 | This month: 4