Metal Storm logo
Bands with Melodic Screaming

02.04.2019 - 12:04
Ganondox

While I do love beautiful cleans, a good raw scream is also good, especially in extreme metal. The issue I with most extreme metal though is that screaming tends to sacrifice vocal melody, and in general I don't find music without vocal melody to be very appealing. Other instruments just don't have the inherent emotional draw that voices have, and it's only rarely that a guitar line "sings", especially in extreme metal.

Many bands get around this by balancing screams with occasional clean vocals, and while I do enjoy that, it's not what I'm looking for here, I'm looking for constant brutality. I've noticed a trick many bands use, particularly in melodic death metal, is harmonizing screams with another voice (either clean vocals or guitar) to give the illusion of melodic screaming, but I'm primary interested in singers who can carry an actual tune while screaming. What constitutes screaming is somewhat subjective, so examples of bands that I've found to include melodic screaming include Strapping Young Lad, Gojira, Architects, Cattle Decapitation, and Becoming the Archetype. I guess Chester Bennington technically pulled this off as well, but not in extreme metal. Any other examples of bands that employ similar techniques would be much appreciated.
02.04.2019 - 16:38
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Attila Csihar's "harsh" vocals are actually not harsh at all, it's a vocal technique that has a name: throat singing :3

There are a couple bands which sucessfully employ that technique sounding harsh as well. Frost from Uk comes to mind, but I forgot the rest. There was another black metal band called "The something" But I forgot the something... can't remember the name
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
04.04.2019 - 13:36
Ganondox

Written by Karlabos on 02.04.2019 at 16:38

Attila Csihar's "harsh" vocals are actually not harsh at all, it's a vocal technique that has a name: throat singing :3

There are a couple bands which sucessfully employ that technique sounding harsh as well. Frost from Uk comes to mind, but I forgot the rest. There was another black metal band called "The something" But I forgot the something... can't remember the name

Never realized that about Attila before, and I've listened to enough Tengger Cavalry to know what throat singing sounds like. The other interesting thing about the style is it let's one sing real harmonies.