05. Your Finger
06. Ink Sukka
07. Aint Got Time
08. Gimme Some Action
09. Engine Burning
10. Body Go Whooo
11. You Never
12. It started Off Bad

Gutbucket was the opening act of the last tour of the cult Rose Tattoo and this German combo, signed on Armageddon Music, claims that its plays Stoner Rock. Hum well, to be honest I think that Gutbucket is more like a Stoner Punk band than a real Stoner Rock one (even if it's never easy to do some real classification with Stoner bands) and the problem of this release is that it's a bit simple and can become boring in the end?

The music of Gutbucket is not terrible but damn it clearly lacks of inspiration and technicality. If you really need some comparisons, I could say that Gutbucket is not so far away of a band like Mötorhead with the important difference that we only have one Lemmy and that only Mötorhead is able to write simple songs which are not boring and repetitive. As you can understand the main problem of this album is that "Gutbucket" is really repetitive and really uninspired. The band plays heavy riffs with a real Rock N Roll spirit but the punk attitude of the combo, which could be a good thing actually, is really reductive in the end. It's basic and after some minutes it's so repetitive that it will become hard to listen to the album.

What can I add? It' s a bit sad because Gutbucket has some good ideas and I like the voice of the singer but this first album is too "easy" and really lacks of maturity and work. With time it could work but if the band wants to still play this kind of music in the future they will have to find a way to add a personal touch (a thing which will not be so easy unfortunately).

This first album is a deception. I don't know if the band is able to do something better or not but they didn't manage to produce something convincing this time. We'll see in the future but if Gutbucket really wants to build a solid fan base they will have to add a lot of personality to their music and work a bit more on their composition. The fans of the style will maybe find something for them in this album, or maybe that you'll be able to listen to it during a Saturday night party but will you ever come again to this release? I'm not so sure?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 29.05.2007

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 6 users
29.05.2007 - 20:35
Herzebeth
Which band sounds similar to Gutbucket?

are they more stoner like Queens Of The Stone Age? or more Punk like Rancid?
----

Hits total: 3097 | This month: 5