Metal Storm logo
Walknut (Project of members from Forest, Temnozor, Nitberg etc.)

29.05.2007 - 23:06
Basso
Account deleted
One of my more recent brilliant discoveries, when it comes to eastern european black metal. Here comes a discribtion from Last.fm:

"An atmospheric black metal band from Russia, they released their debut on April 24, 2007, titled "Graveforests and Their Shadows", through Stellar Winter Records. They claim their musical style to be influenced by northern nature and mysticism. Includes members from Temnozor, Forest and Nitberg.

The song "Motherland Ostenvegr" is a free download on Stellar Winter's website."

In my honest opinion their only and first fulleanght mentioned above, is brilliant and great atmospheric bm the way its meant to be. The production, the guitar sound, the drum sound and the vocals all have a great sound. This band is something I can highly recommend for fans of Drudkh, Hate Forest (Battlefields album) and Burzum. I do warn you however, this band lack one thing, originality, this is not original. but it weights that lack of originality up with brilliant atmosphere and incredible work in every other aspect..

Here is a link to their official myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/walknutband
30.05.2007 - 00:09
APOHAKC
The Bard
Crazy Russians lol
It sound very good actually, what a hell is going on with Russians?
Their Metal scene is better and better every day.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
30.05.2007 - 00:33
Basso
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 30.05.2007 at 00:09

Crazy Russians lol

Agree, eastern european scene is the one that intresst me the most at the moment!
31.05.2007 - 19:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Thanks for introducing me to them!

Personally, I don't they match up to Drudkh (a comparison unavoidable with their music) but if Drudkh decides to stick to their 'Songs..' style I will know which band I'll turn to!

Though, even next to Drudkh these dudes are great, as this is very good stuff!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
31.05.2007 - 22:28
Lathronniel

Written by Guest on 30.05.2007 at 00:33

Written by APOHAKC on 30.05.2007 at 00:09

Crazy Russians lol

Agree, eastern european scene is the one that intresst me the most at the moment!

ha! got them today...mmm like them...yeah the eastern scene is great...has so many bands that worth something but too bad that are less people which support them..but thanks to this recent realises the number grows
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
01.06.2007 - 01:40
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 31.05.2007 at 19:56

Thanks for introducing me to them!

Personally, I don't they match up to Drudkh (a comparison unavoidable with their music) but if Drudkh decides to stick to their 'Songs..' style I will know which band I'll turn to!

Though, even next to Drudkh these dudes are great, as this is very good stuff!

I dont remember ever comparing their greatness to eachother, just the soundscape. Well anyway glad you liked it!
01.06.2007 - 12:19
Highlander
Account deleted
Heard some of their stuff on MySpace, but have to agree, this Eastern side has some amazing Metal bands.
01.06.2007 - 14:02
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yeah, I don't understand why everyone who hear some eastern metal band must immidiately compare it with Drudkh or Nokturnal Mortum??
----
01.06.2007 - 14:16
Ernis
狼獾
It's probably because Drudkh's the first who has gained a sufficient amount of so-called publicity coverage? I haven't listened to Drudkh but I know that Eastern scene is very strong....unfortunately yes...they aren't very well-known in Western Europe...they also don't perform outside Russia/Ukraine.....it's sad...but I hope that things will change soon....for better....
01.06.2007 - 14:26
APOHAKC
The Bard
I didn't meant only on Russian and Ukraine bands, I thought on all bands from Slavic scene, that is directly connected with eastern and south Europe. It is said that band like Nokturnal Mortum play in Serbia in front of 2000 people and no one front western Europe don't even want to call them to play in their country, and they are much more famous band than other.. But this is offtopic

I just said that I don't see anything similar in Temnozor and Drudkh music
----
01.06.2007 - 15:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Why would you not compare them? They sound alike..
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.06.2007 - 15:26
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Lucas on 01.06.2007 at 15:13

Man... they don't sound like at all...
----
01.06.2007 - 15:45
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Well, I gess that if I'm a big fan of Forest and Temnozor, and also of the bands that these guys are meant to sound like, I'll have to check this shit.
01.06.2007 - 16:12
Basso
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 01.06.2007 at 14:26

I didn't meant only on Russian and Ukraine bands, I thought on all bands from Slavic scene, that is directly connected with eastern and south Europe. It is said that band like Nokturnal Mortum play in Serbia in front of 2000 people and no one front western Europe don't even want to call them to play in their country, and they are much more famous band than other.. But this is offtopic

I just said that I don't see anything similar in Temnozor and Drudkh music

Well the reason why many eastern european BM bands cant play in west europe is because of their political opinions. This may sound silly since many of the western countries are democracys, but all of them also happen to have a huge fobia for Nationalism. Thus resulting in noone even daring to think of what might happen if they were to book a band with NS ideology etc.
Ofcourse this saddens me seeing that Temnozor / Nokturnal Mortum etc are some of my alltime fav bands and would love to experiance them live...

Enough offtopic

Im glad to see that this thread is atleast generating some intresst!
01.06.2007 - 18:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by APOHAKC on 01.06.2007 at 15:26

Written by Lucas on 01.06.2007 at 15:13

Man... they don't sound like at all...

Listen to a song like 'Skinfaxi'. Sounds very Drudkh-ish to me. Maybe we should agree to disagree? Because Walknut definitely deserves more than just a discussion about Drudkh.

I've been listening to this stuff on a quite average basis, not daily, but definitely a couple of hours a week. And it still kicks ass!
----

01.06.2007 - 18:44
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I've heard that these guys are very, very promising for any Melancholic BM Listener like myself. I'll definitely look into this band and post my comments here...
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
27.06.2007 - 23:41
Basso
Account deleted
Damn this band, the more I listen to them the more addicted I get. I have been listening to this daily, several times a day for quite some time now, and all I can say is.. Buy their only release "Graveforests And Their Shadows" I cant stress this enough its just incredible...
28.06.2007 - 03:06
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Basso, yup, I had the same feeling, I listened to that album for a week, non-stop, but then, suddenly I got bored and til then I haven't heard any singl song from them. It needs some time to start listening to them, so go easy. or you will get bored too
----
28.06.2007 - 15:13
Basso
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 28.06.2007 at 03:06

@Basso, yup, I had the same feeling, I listened to that album for a week, non-stop, but then, suddenly I got bored and til then I haven't heard any singl song from them. It needs some time to start listening to them, so go easy. or you will get bored too

haha yes Im also afraid to grow tired of them but atm It doesnt look like it will be soon, im really into the hypnotic / repetive bm atm and have been listening to bands such as Forest (rus), Hate Forest, Drudkh and ofcourse Walknut quite a bit the past weeks and vary among them (damn all are repetive haha) so I dont think it will happen anytime soon.
31.08.2008 - 01:27
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Another awesome entry in atmospheric black metal. Graveforests... has received a lot of plays the past few months, especially the track 'Motherland Ostenvegr' which is a nigh-on perfect song.

Don't think this band sound much like Drudkh, the overall tone is quite different. Excellent stuff anyway.
26.03.2010 - 23:03
The Turbanator

A very good album. Eastern European BM is really coming up.

If you guys want another good band from East Europe, check out Darkestrah. Amazing stuff!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
08.04.2010 - 23:01
Inlé

Not too big on Darkestrah...

Walknut is great though, I prefer Walknut to Forest and Temnozor (although Temnozor are very good too.), Walknut is actually one of the few bands that I have a band shirt of. I certainly hope there'll be more than just the one full length album in the future from this project.
09.04.2010 - 01:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Inlé on 08.04.2010 at 23:01

Not too big on Darkestrah...

Walknut is great though, I prefer Walknut to Forest and Temnozor (although Temnozor are very good too.), Walknut is actually one of the few bands that I have a band shirt of. I certainly hope there'll be more than just the one full length album in the future from this project.

you dont like Darkestrah's 'Epos'? That's kinda weird. I always thought Walknut and Darkestrah would appeal on pretty much the same level.
09.04.2010 - 11:58
Inlé

Is that the one which is just one long track? If so I never got around to trying that if I'm being honest. Would you say the comparison is more valid on their last two albums then? (It's the first two Darkestrah albums I heard, and they didn't strike me as being cut from similar cloth to Walknut, it didn't cross my mind anyway)... Because I'm always up for giving things a try.
09.04.2010 - 13:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Actually it's only the last two albums of Darkestrah i've heard so i'm unaware if there's a significant change in style from Epos onwards (probably not though) but yes, it's the one with a single, lengthy song. Compared to Walknut it's slightly simpler tonally (more of an enforced "epic" feel) and more of a pronounced folk element. It also includes those wishy-washy ocean sound effects at the beginning which I know bothers a lot of people but overall it's quite a highly regarded piece of music so it might be worth your time, even if it is just to say you've heard it.

But you're right in that they're different in style but I would have thought in terms of what people tend to like they're vaguely in the same ball park. It's just one is playing baseball whereas the other is playing rounders.
10.04.2010 - 11:48
The Turbanator

Yeah Epos is class. 33 minutes of amazing sound.

Also their album 'The Silk Road' is amazing.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
13.04.2010 - 11:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Argh! Embrace of Memory is the best Darkestrah album. Better than Walknut
15.07.2010 - 11:41
The Turbanator

I'm listening to Walknut after a very long time. I got to say, this band officially has become on of my favorite. It's so refreshing listening to them again, and reading their lyrics and the atmosphere of their songs.

I demand a new release, Walknut! Any news on them?
----