Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Christian Metal Band?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 30.05.2007 - 22:36
The Christian message is an ever-growing theme in Metal. From the early days it was looked at like a fluke, but now some of the biggest bands in Metal have Christian members, like, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Dream Theater.

But there are those bands which put their faith in Jesus Christ at the forefront of the their music, and those are the bands that I wanted to poll. I picked what I thought were the 8 most popular bands from this faith, but left the "other" option just in case there are other choices. This list just deals with regular Metal bands, and not the Metalcore scene, which is heavily populated with Christian bands. So please don't pick "other" if your choice is a Metalcore band.

So, please pick your favorite, and tell us a little bit as to why.

For me, I have to go with Living Sacrifice. While Stryper is will always hold a place in my heart, Living Sacrifice is still my pick. Their albums are all solid releases filled with some brutal music and powerful lyrics. Even since their break up they're still noted as being a huge force is the Christian music scene.

Poll

Which Christian Metal band is your favorite?

other, please do tell...
Stryper
Extol
Living Sacrifice
Tourniquet
Mortification
Saviour Machine
Immortal Souls
Lengsel

Total votes: 206
15.05.2011 - 03:35
Yasmine
Written by Dane Train on 15.05.2011 at 03:27

Written by Yasmine on 13.05.2011 at 19:04

Because it attempts to inject theology into something where it clearly had no place. Telling me this....when say....Christians mass murdered native americans and tried to teach them Christianity were they attempting to destroy the godless heathens or just doing them a favor? Same with pagan holiday, destroy paganism or innocent fun? Christian metal, usurping the music from the secular means from which it existed for so long, or just subpar metal?

It seems that we're not on the same page here and that might be my fault and for that I apologize. Let me try and clear it up so we are not having such confusion. To reiterate what I asked before I wanted to know how specifically my band, being a Christian Metal band, is trying to gain power?

And to answer your question about mass murder doing anyone a favor my answer is: no. I appose murder. I appose genocide, bigotry, racism, sexism, homophobia, slavery, poverty, hunger, corruption and war. I work daily to make my community, my world, a place of peace and unconditional love.

But that is in my response, if the idea of Christianity is to convert and get their message to as many people as possible to me that is to gain power. Samething if they attempt to take over a musical genre, if they try to take over TV by creating more and more shows, etc etc. I'm sure on a smaller level most Christian musicians don't see it that way, they're just Christians and they like metal, and that's all well and good.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
15.05.2011 - 03:55
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Yasmine on 15.05.2011 at 03:35

But that is in my response, if the idea of Christianity is to convert and get their message to as many people as possible to me that is to gain power. Samething if they attempt to take over a musical genre, if they try to take over TV by creating more and more shows, etc etc. I'm sure on a smaller level most Christian musicians don't see it that way, they're just Christians and they like metal, and that's all well and good.

Your notion of what is Christianity is distorted and warped. The pop culture, American middle class, happy clappy, feel good, prosperity gospel, televangelist, consumer, Sunday-only Christianity that you reject I reject too. Little rubber bracelet with "WWJD" on them, promise rings, graphic T's with passages, shallow sing along worship songs, youth group pizza parties, and trendy slogans are not what Jesus is all about. All of that crap I reject just as you do.

The idea of Christianity is not to "convert" people but to love people. Ours is a life of service to others in the name of love. The love of God. We are about changing lives. I'm not convinced that Jesus is going to say, 'when I was hungry, you gave a check to United Way and they fed me.' or 'when I was naked, you donated clothes to the Salvation Army and they clothed me.' Jesus is not seeking distant acts of charity. he seeks concrete acts of love. It is that love that saved my life. It is that same love that compels me to live the way I do.

Our band is not about power. It is about love.
----
(space for rent)
15.05.2011 - 04:00
Yasmine
Call it what you may I've given a whole list of demonstrations of christian "love" through it's 2000 year history. You may have a different view of it than I, but the demonstration they've displayed is in EVERY history book, your version.....well not so much. I mean I believe you're a nice guy and I believe ya about your band. But millions of people and their "love" versus little ole you and your love. Kind of tips the scales.

Edit: We really shouldnt hijack the thread anymore. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
15.05.2011 - 04:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Yasmine on 15.05.2011 at 04:00

Call it what you may I've given a whole list of demonstrations of christian "love" through it's 2000 year history. You may have a different view of it than I, but the demonstration they've displayed is in EVERY history book, your version.....well not so much. I mean I believe you're a nice guy and I believe ya about your band. But millions of people and their "love" versus little ole you and your love. Kind of tips the scales.

Murder. Rape. Genocide. War. That is not love. And please do not confuse it with love either. I am not defending all the atrocities done in the name of any religion what so ever. I am sickened by them. But if that is all you know of Christianity, then first I am very sorry that has been your experience, and second you should do a lot more research before you finally make up your mind.
----
(space for rent)
15.05.2011 - 04:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Dane Train on 15.05.2011 at 04:16

and second you should do a lot more research before you finally make up your mind.

But... But... But it has been written IN HISTORY BOOKS.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.05.2011 - 07:35
Yasmine
Written by Dane Train on 15.05.2011 at 04:16

Written by Yasmine on 15.05.2011 at 04:00

Murder. Rape. Genocide. War. That is not love. And please do not confuse it with love either. I am not defending all the atrocities done in the name of any religion what so ever. I am sickened by them. But if that is all you know of Christianity, then first I am very sorry that has been your experience, and second you should do a lot more research before you finally make up your mind.

Oh I've done plenty, I disagree with core tenets alone, and no it doesn't mean I think you're all eager to kill people.

But really we need get back to topic, I'm listening to a few of these bands.
Virgin Black was.......painful.....Crimson Moonlight, the vocals are completely to my liking but there's some good riffs.
----
15.05.2011 - 11:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Meh, I think Fortissimo was fucking awesome.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.05.2011 - 15:33
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Yasmine on 15.05.2011 at 07:35

Oh I've done plenty, I disagree with core tenets alone,

Would you please inform me as to what studying you have done? I am always interested in what someone's creditably is and what their background is on such topics.

Likewise, since you disagree with the core tenets, would you please tell us all here what said tenets are? I want to make sure we're all on the same page.
----
(space for rent)
15.05.2011 - 23:26
Yasmine
Written by Dane Train on 15.05.2011 at 15:33

Written by Yasmine on 15.05.2011 at 07:35

Oh I've done plenty, I disagree with core tenets alone,

Would you please inform me as to what studying you have done? I am always interested in what someone's creditably is and what their background is on such topics.

Likewise, since you disagree with the core tenets, would you please tell us all here what said tenets are? I want to make sure we're all on the same page.

In other words you want a strawman argument through a red herring? My education is not an issue here, what is an issue is if what I've said is in fact true. Did Christians mass murder people countless times through out history? I state they did, refute it instead of jumping to my education.

I totally did not want to get into this, and really we should take the argument else where.
----
16.05.2011 - 00:56
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Yasmine on 15.05.2011 at 23:26

In other words you want a strawman argument through a red herring? My education is not an issue here, what is an issue is if what I've said is in fact true. Did Christians mass murder people countless times through out history? I state they did, refute it instead of jumping to my education.

I do not want any sort of argument, just a civil conversation. I asked a pretty simple question which you are avoiding. Why is that? Are you afraid that you might actually be wrong about something? Your education is an issue here. If you are making such claims, then I would like to know where said information is coming from and how you got to the conclusions that you did. Never once have I tried to rip you down or insult you (although you have done it to me) and I am not attempting to insult your intelligence here either.

I am not going to refute that "Christians" have murdered people throughout history. But to get into that discussion I think we need to get some semantics set before we begin. I would like to know what your definition of a Christian is. If you are making such statements I think we really should be on the same page about this topic for it seems that your interpretation of who a Christian is is drastically different from mine.
----
(space for rent)
16.05.2011 - 01:23
Yasmine
Incorrect my education IS a red herring, the conversation is IF the information is correct or not. Such as learning 1+1 is 2, it does not matter where I learned this from, my parents, schooling, etc. It only matters if the information is in fact correct.

The cardinal Protestant doctrine
The Trinity,
The deity of Jesus,
The sinless life of Jesus,
Jesus' bodily resurrection,
Jesus' ascension towards Heaven,
The atonement as a result of the life, and particularly the death, of Jesus,
Personal salvation by grace,
The inerrancy of the Bible
The inspiration of the Bible's authors by the Holy Spirit
God's inspiration of the Bible's authors,
The virgin birth, and
The anticipated second coming of Jesus.

Some Catholic differences
The Body and Blood of Christ are present in the Eucharist.
The Apostolic Succession.
Beliefs are grounded in both the Bible and church tradition.
The Holy Spirit guides the Church away from error.
The effects of baptism.
Believers are saved by Grace and faith.
Salvation can achieved and later lost
----
16.05.2011 - 01:28
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
You have shown us that you an plagiarize from http://www.religioustolerance.org. But can you now, in your own words tell me what makes a person a Christian?
----
(space for rent)
16.05.2011 - 03:46
Tormentor666
Stryper.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16.05.2011 - 05:30
Yasmine
Written by Dane Train on 16.05.2011 at 01:28

You have shown us that you an plagiarize from http://www.religioustolerance.org. But can you now, in your own words tell me what makes a person a Christian?

LOL, I'm done talking to you, 1 that's not on the page you posted. Even if it were there, you expected me to write an essay on it, knowing you were just looking to pick apart what I say because you can't address the actual issue?(RED HERRING) Stay away from serious discussion/debate until you understand logic. Start here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

2, again facts are facts and you wish to avoid discussion about them, instead you bring up red herring after red herring. Do you even know what that is?

3, and this is why I can easily lump ALL of you together, every last one of you is willing to be dishonest for your religion, and because of it you got ignored.

I think Doc magically forgot I had him on ignore, and over this very topic.
----
16.05.2011 - 11:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff

This is fucking beautiful.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.05.2011 - 14:44
Slayer666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.05.2011 at 11:05

Tell me about it. Christianity has never been more fun.

On topic:
I don't like Christian Metal. Not because I have something against them ideology or lyric-wise, but because I've yet to find a Christian metal band who's music I like.
Antestor comes close, but lacks something and turns into quite a bore after a while.
16.05.2011 - 14:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Slayer666 on 16.05.2011 at 14:44

Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.05.2011 at 11:05

Tell me about it. Christianity has never been more fun.

Even if it wasn't about christianity I would still laugh my ass off at the discussion. It's priceless.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.08.2011 - 05:00
Megadeth88
Becoming The Archetype is my favorite Christian metal band, by far!
09.08.2011 - 01:35
Steelreaper
I voted for Tourniquet. I would also say Seventh Angel and Believer are right up there with Tourniquet.

Also can Stryper really be considered Metal? I would call them Hard Rock or Glam Rock but not Metal. Plus they are gayer than the gayest secular band lol.
----
"I see the world's bones, I see the world dead" Max Cavalera
13.08.2011 - 12:03
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I voted other: Becoming the Archetype.
17.08.2011 - 15:08
SAG
Band Ored of Splendour have good music, but they are christians... Christianity is no place in metal music.
06.11.2011 - 16:10
musclassia
staff
As others before have said, Becoming the Archetype. Their last album was a letdown but the previous trio were topnotch.
08.11.2011 - 07:30
JÄY
Metal slave
Tourniquet...great band! Speeeeedy! And on "Stop the Bleeding", at times, the singer goes King Diamond on ya.
22.11.2011 - 00:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Gospel music = metal?

Amen.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2011 - 20:43
arwestromen
My favorite christian metal band is a dispanded one

Listening to Christian metal is like preforming oral sex on your sister.....taste right but definitely feels wrong
If that made you laugh then I succefully translated a joke into english. If not....meh

Did I just kill this thread?
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
08.01.2012 - 09:40
algirdongas
Written by ThisIsNotHere on 03.07.2010 at 02:45

Written by Snarfy on 02.07.2010 at 03:55

Written by Guest on 09.01.2010 at 03:54

Written by Clintagräm on 08.01.2010 at 01:05

Written by Dane Train on 07.01.2010 at 22:03

Written by Immortal on 07.01.2010 at 05:48

Because to me, by definition "metal" is the antithesis of Christianity (amonst other things).

Would you please explain what you mean by this?

since Metal music is about rebelling against the establishment, fighting against oppression of the self (physically and mentally), or being iconoclastic in nature - and since Christianity is the dominant religion in western society (where most Metal music comes from) it is naturally Christianity that Metalheads might rebel against since it tells us how we should live. It's kind of a big "fuck you" to the man, aka God and the Church, get it?

How often are you oppressed by religion? or Christians? Atleast, In the U.S. where I am from, I don't think there is much religious oppression. The only that I've seen is from radical groups and that's including other religions beside Christianity. Most of the oppression I see in the world is more of the nature of social status/racial/government/ oppression. And what really gets me is that most of the anti-Christian sentiment in metal songs, especially those of black/pagan metal bands, stims for what conquerors did hundreds of years ago in the name of "Christianity." Since a lot of black metal band members usually consider themselves intellectuals, I think they would be able to see past the guise and realize that most conquerors just used "Christianity" as a front to acheive their own selfish desires.

Im from Canada, but people here and in the US have to put up with religious oppression every day. Whether its the constant attack against gay rights, or scientific research, or the retarded idea that creation should be taught in a science class. Or there failed campaign against women rights, Interracial marriage, and a dozen other idea that go against the bible.

You may or may not be for or against these ideas but the fact that organizations use Jesus as an excuse to preach intolerance is religious oppression.

You make it sound like fundamentalists have a lot more power than they really do. Plus political/societal/cultural change usually takes time, and reactionary political correctness movements hurt more than they help. Specifically, the gay rights movement. There's a certain level of professionalism required in gaining acceptance/recognition, and many gays/supporters simply haven't realized that, or are wholly incapable (probably a combination of the two. Ever seen a gay pride parade? I rest my case). I'm gay, so I'd say that grants me a certain degree of insight on the rights vs. religious oppression/bias.

If anything, I'd say that Christianity is more of a target than women's rights, gay equality, interracial marriage, or Atheism. I've encountered several students in my area that have claimed Christianity is fascism (hmm... After reading/researching Mussolini, I don't see how Jesus would approve of the Third Way...), a few want it outlawed (outlawing an entire religion? Sounds a bit authoritarian to me), and the real kicker is a lot of these people defend Islam when it gets attack. Attacking a target but getting mad if someone else does it to a different one with the same claims and tactics makes little sense.

Extend that to the metal community and a common reaction to Christian bands. "Omg [x band] isn't [x genre] because it lacks [x ideology]". The black metal kids are the best. Attacking Christianity yet falling into the same trappings as their target. I'm not a fan of Christian metal, as the bands I've heard tend to sound different from what I normally like, but my dislike for it has nothing to do with the fact that they're Christian, it's related to the music. I see liking/disliking a group because of ideological content instead of their art as falling into the hipster mentality: associating with something purely because of its image. Seems shallow to me. I admit that the lyrics (particularly of "unblack" and deathcore bands) tend to blow ass, but lyrics don't influence my like/dislike for a group(although if they're well written, it's an extra bonus, as in the case of Deathspell Omega).

For the record, I think blind devotion to any belief/sect or lack thereof is destructive, and I'm not a Christian apologetic by any means, as I view it as a generally masochistic belief system, particularly the more modern variants. I just like people to be consistent and look at the whole picture when they're criticizing something.

Well the fact these organisations merely exist doesn't scare me at all it's that a lot of americans DO adhere to their crazyness well now that scares me. A good example of this would be that around 60% of americans reject evolution as not fitting with their religion and thus useless.
Now about the christian metallers: if they play metal they're more opened minded than most christians and that's good.
08.01.2012 - 10:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Please trim yer quotes, thanks.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.01.2012 - 10:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
One of The Postal Dude's new quotes is "I blame Christian metal."

I couldn't agree more. Crimson Thorn's good though.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
08.01.2012 - 17:35
NLthrasher
My favourite christian metal band is Jacobs Dream, I once picked up their titleless album and just bought it without listening to it and not knowing the band and it became one of my favourite albums.
08.01.2012 - 18:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I've probably already posted, but Demon hunter, an amazing christian band.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS