Metal Storm logo
Tool - Two New Tracks Perfomed Live

After countless years of teasing, Tool have started playing new music, presumably from their upcoming fifth full-length album. While not having released these tracks in an official fashion, live recordings of decent quality have appeared. The first song, called "Descending", has previously been played in an abridged, instrumental version. The second song is completely new. Both tracks are over 10 minutes long which fits with a statement made last year. Both songs were recorded by fans at the Welcome To Rockville festival in Jacksonville, Florida.

Also the following was captured during one of the band's performances, possibly hinting at a release date.

Note that the song titles are fan-made and have not been confirmed by the band. Anyway, who's excited for some brand new Tool music?

Source: youtube.com
Band profile: Tool
Posted: 08.05.2019 by Netzach

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 16   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 239 users
08.05.2019 - 12:38
Daniell
_爱情_
In before:

"After so many years, we get this?"
"Very disappointing, considering how long we waited for the album."
"Standard Tool"
"Long and boring"
08.05.2019 - 13:29
Netzach
Planewalker
Written by Daniell on 08.05.2019 at 12:38

In before:

"Standard Tool"
"Long and boring"

"Descending" cuts very close to "Lateralus" which feels a bit meh (until the last part, which sounds epic) but the other one I think is really good. Mostly just happy to hear some new tunes, whiners gonna whine. What do you think?
08.05.2019 - 15:28
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Netzach on 08.05.2019 at 13:29

"Descending" cuts very close to "Lateralus" which feels a bit meh (until the last part, which sounds epic) but the other one I think is really good. Mostly just happy to hear some new tunes, whiners gonna whine. What do you think?

I agree that "Invincible" sounds much better. I'm also just happy to hear some new Tool songs. All I want from the new album is to not be worse than any of their past releases. That will suffice, quality-wise.
08.05.2019 - 17:38
UPDIRNS

I have to admit these are underwhelming at first listen. They feel unnecessarily stretched out. If the slow, long portions of these songs were condensed and the we were hearing a 50/50 blend of up tempo and actual signing vs. build up sections instead of a 80/20 split these songs would be significantly better IMO.
08.05.2019 - 20:28
AndreMarcos

In before:

"Standard Tool"
"Long and boring"

One of those was my exact reaction when I heard the songs for the first time
09.05.2019 - 02:15
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

In before:

"Standard Tool"
"Long and boring"

All that is true, though.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
09.05.2019 - 04:07
Lanthros

I would actually laugh if neither song is on the actual album. It would be in keeping with their nature as well
09.05.2019 - 06:23
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I still don't dig Lateralus that much.

Aenima all the way.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
09.05.2019 - 06:29
deadbraincells

Written by Maco on 09.05.2019 at 06:23

I still don't dig Lateralus that much.

Aenima all the way.

I had a conversation with a guy (who turned out to be my boss) about 10000 Days. I told him that Tool had either started doing different drugs than me, or they were taking a lot more of them than me. Either way, I could not get into it at all. These new songs make me feel the same.
09.05.2019 - 06:33
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by deadbraincells on 09.05.2019 at 06:29

I had a conversation with a guy (who turned out to be my boss) about 10000 Days. I told him that Tool had either started doing different drugs than me, or they were taking a lot more of them than me. Either way, I could not get into it at all. These new songs make me feel the same.

Well, you can always try the Opiate EP, less proggy and more of an alternative sound.

----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
09.05.2019 - 09:13
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

In before:

"Standard Tool"
"Long and boring"

No, seriously Tool should fucking quit.
09.05.2019 - 09:44
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.05.2019 at 09:13

No, seriously Tool should fucking quit.

You don't like them? Fine, stop listening to them. It's perfectly ok. But telling them to quit? Grow up.
09.05.2019 - 23:04
Desha
delicious dish
I dunno if this will be great or lame from those two tracks, because tool albums always had about 60% filler in my eyes, and I don't know whether these are supposed to be highlights or filler. Given that they're pre-released tracks though, they are probably gonna be the bigger songs? Hence I conclude it will be boring.
----
You are the hammer, I am the nail
building a house in the fire on the hill
17.05.2019 - 15:06
gavdann

Two incredibly lo-fi live recordings of new Tool tracks you've heard for the first time and the album is going to be crap/boring/whatever?

Really??!!

It took me about 6 months to fully grasp the brilliance of an album such as Lateralus and you idiots are already queuing to write them off.
17.05.2019 - 15:16
JoHn Doe

Too much hype around these two songs, I bet the band is trying the audience with these songs, get a reaction.

A new release from Tool was due long time ago. TBH I don't care anymore. It's got to the point of Chinese Democracy level (wait and release).
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
22.05.2019 - 11:11
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by gavdann on 17.05.2019 at 15:06

Two incredibly lo-fi live recordings of new Tool tracks you've heard for the first time and the album is going to be crap/boring/whatever?

Really??!!

It took me about 6 months to fully grasp the brilliance of an album such as Lateralus and you idiots are already queuing to write them off.

Welcome to the internet, a wretched hive of hate and toxicity.

One of the best things about the internet is that everyone can say what they think.
One of the worst things about the internet is that everyone can say what they think.

Hits total: 3018 | This month: 2