Metal Storm logo
Trip Hop

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 31.05.2007 - 16:21
So I just wanted to know if there are any other Trip Hop fans here. For those of you who don't know what Trip Hop is, also called Bristol Acid Rap, it is style of music based upon hip hop instrumentals with tempo changes, jazz beats, dark, moody, ambient sounds, and other instruments. It tend to be very lo-fi analog recording in nature.

For me, my favorite artists of this genre are Massive Attack, Portishead, DJ Shadow, Lamb and UNKLE.

How about you guys?
01.04.2012 - 15:59
0rpheus

Written by IronAngel on 01.04.2012 at 11:51

I wouldn't call it trip hop. It's downtempo and electronic...

Thank you a lot! that was very helpful criticism. I almost agree with all of what you mentioned.
Actually I've created the whole song (music, words and recording, mixing) in few hours (less than 12 hours), so it was just a swift experiment of making a song for the 1st time, anyway I'm no singer, but just self-taught amateur musician and I've composed instrumentals before.
By the way I'm confused about its genre, the aim was neoclassical but it also sounds downtempo (which is more generic as a genre) as you mentioned, that's why I asked because I wasn't sure.
I don't use MIDI I just transfer the sound through an audio cable from my keyboard to PC and actually beat matching, loops and syncing are hell when you're not using MIDI I doubt there is anyone who that when they create similar music styles.
I suck at grammar, I know and yes the meanings are vague because I've just taken some random thoughts on my mind but it means to me - just tell me if you're curious about grasping them - and yes, it's not good to make the listener connected with it.

Thanks again...
All the best.
----
I would prefer not to.
07.12.2012 - 00:25
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'm looking to get more into this genre, the only band I've heard from it is Massive Attack, which is really good!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
05.09.2014 - 23:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

I first heard this album when I was first getting into Non metal stuff. I didn't like it then. I love it now.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.09.2014 - 06:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.09.2014 at 23:52
I first heard this album when I was first getting into Non metal stuff. I didn't like it then. I love it now.

I remember the first day I ever listened to Dummy, or at least one song from it. I was in grade 6, so about 10 or 11 years old at the time, and it was a year after moving schools again. Anyway, I played a game of truth or dare with some friends after school, and this one girl I really liked was dating some other kid who went to a different school. So we were hanging out at the school playground and she played this one song that sounded really cool on her brand new iPod Classic (they pretty much just hit the open market at this point). I asked her what it was so she gave me an earbud to listen along and showed me the screen on her iPod. I'll probably never remember the name of the song though. As soon as I looked at the screen she had her tongue down my throat and put my hand on her boob. Not sure how long that went on for. It felt like 2 seconds and 2 lifetimes simultaneously.

I found out later she was dared to do this. We ended up fooling around a lot like that after school, and then her boyfriend would come over from his school to hang out with us. Devious kids I guess. She dumped him after a couple weeks and then we dated for the rest of the school year.

Amazing album. Plus it was just recently released on vinyl.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.09.2014 - 17:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.09.2014 at 06:25

Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.09.2014 at 23:52

I remember the first day I ever listened to Dummy, or at least one song from it. I was in grade 6, so about 10 or 11 years old at the time, and it was a year after moving schools again. Anyway, I played a game of truth or dare with some friends after school, and this one girl I really liked was dating some other kid who went to a different school. So we were hanging out at the school playground and she played this one song that sounded really cool on her brand new iPod Classic (they pretty much just hit the open market at this point). I asked her what it was so she gave me an earbud to listen along and showed me the screen on her iPod. I'll probably never remember the name of the song though. As soon as I looked at the screen she had her tongue down my throat and put my hand on her boob. Not sure how long that went on for. It felt like 2 seconds and 2 lifetimes simultaneously.

I found out later she was dared to do this. We ended up fooling around a lot like that after school, and then her boyfriend would come over from his school to hang out with us. Devious kids I guess. She dumped him after a couple weeks and then we dated for the rest of the school year.

Amazing album. Plus it was just recently released on vinyl.

Damn, I was probably sitting alone at home when I first heard it.

I went to pick the reissue vinyl up actually, but the three copies my record store brought in sold out the day they got them
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.09.2014 - 20:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.09.2014 at 06:25
Cool story, bro.... For realz this time

Aw man now I feel like shit because I listened to it alone in my room. Not even the cat gave a fuck about it.
I wanna try that album for sexy times when i get the chance. D:

But at least it's nice to remember that I lost my virginity with Mezzanine in loop.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.12.2014 - 20:38
Infernal Eternal

I've only heard of Massive Attack and they are pretty good!
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter