Metal Storm logo
Vile interview (06/2007)

With: Colin Davis [Guitars]
Conducted by: Megad3th (e-mail)
Published: 01.06.2007

Hello I'm Elia Mssawir from Lebanon. To begin with I want to thank you for allowing me to do this Interview, and of course for giving your fans a chance to learn a little more about Vile. It's an honor.

- How did VILE start? And where is it now?

IN 1996 when my band Entropy broke up, I started Jamming in Juan's band that was called Lords of Chaos. Then that band broke up a year later and me and Juan formed Vile.

- Why did you pick "Vile" as a band name?

It was just one of many names that we were considering at the time. It was the only one everybody could agree on. Haha.

- According to your history, where you had to wait 10 years after releasing you're 3 songs demo "Unearthed", and then releasing " Vile-ation" back in 1997, did you feel that the band is going to succeed?

Unearthed was released in 1996 and Vile-ation was in 1997, then our first album came out in 1999, our second CD was released in 2002 and out last album came out in 2005. The band has been around for 10 years total.

- Okay, releasing your first full length album "Stench of the Deceased", I think this is where Vile truly started. You promised your fans with total world domination, you think the album did it? Or u waited to dominate the world in the next release?

Haha. It's fun writing those things like World Domination. As you can see, we never did dominate the world, but were still working on it! Every album is the absolute best we can be at the time. It's always the highest quality we can deliver.

- 3 years later you released "Depopulate", a huge number of fans thought the song "Unit 731" was catchy and unique between the rest of the tracks, can you explain that? And what does the Name stand for?

I don't know why so many people like that song. It's about a biological warfare camp in Japan that existed in the 1940's.

- Coming to the most brilliant album for Vile "The New Age of Chaos", for me this is the best album so far, you thought the album could do such a mess?

It's my favorite album as well. I think it's the most well thought out and bets sounding CD we have too. On this album all the songwriting is by me, so maybe that is why it seems to flow better than the others.

- From the album "The New Age Of Chaos" track number 6 The Burning Shrines , what do you mean about it?

Well our singer Juan wrote all of this album's lyrics. They are mostly about war in the Middle East. The shrines are temples. It's pretty offensive I now realize. At the time, Juan wanted to write an album that was about the wars that have happened after 9/11. I used to believe the government's story about 9/11 and these wars. But now after a lot of research I realize it was all a lie. I realize that 9/11 was commited by westerners and I realize that the entire War on Terror is a lie and an excuse to try to control the entire world. There
is a name for this, the New World Order.

- Is the next album for Vile supposed to come out in 2008? Cause from what I can see u usually release one album every 3 years.

Yeah I think that is about right. I'm thinking 2008 will be the year for this next one. Its going to be vastly different from the last one and I need time to make it come together anyway.

- Over years Vile has obviously changed members constantly.. do you think it slowed down the success of the band or pushed it towards to be even better?

Yes it definitely slowed us down. But I can't really think of it any other way. It is what it is and I make the best of it. Right now, I'm writing the music alone and at first it was hard, but now I love it.

- When you had the tour with "Cannibal Corpse, Cephalic Carnage, Deeds of Flesh" how did you feel back then?

These are all cool tours. The Cannibal guys have really helped us out and we really appreciate how they have helped spread the word about Vile. They are super cool guys.

- Anyways, when you first started Vile, did you think the band could succeed and would become one of the famous Brutal Death Metal bands in the world?

Well I really hope what you say about us it true! Haha. From the very beginning I always imagined that we would be a success. I did think it would be easier though! It's been very hard and has taken a long time. And we still have a long way to go.

- So in few words, what bands have acted upon Vile?

Well I used to be very influenced by Morbid Angel. Also Atheist, Pestilence, Gorguts, Death, Coroner, Hate Eternal. Also I get a lot of influence in my songwriting from old 80's heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.

- Away from music, what do you do in life as hobbies and activities?

I am a recording and CD mastering engineer. I produce bands and work with music constantly. Besides recording the Vile albums, I also record or master a lot of other death metal stuff. Music is my life in every way. Aside from music I like photography and I also do a lot of research on occult subjects.

- In your own opinion. Does your family support what you do in life? Especially from the music side?

Yes they do. 100 percent.

- Have you ever thought about having a concert or a tour in the middle-east?

I have thought about coming to Turkey and Lebanon. The other nations might be hard to get to.

- Our interview has come to an end, can you tell me and your fans about the latest news on the band? Any last words for your fans?

Well of course I want to thank everyone for supporting us. I hope Muslims will not be offended by the lyrics on our latest album. And like I said earlier, I was fooled like many Americans about the nature of these wars in the middle-east. Juan wrote the lyrics and I'm an afraid that he is still fooled! What is the most important thing is that none of us listen to our governments. They are all liars. None of them are innocent. The internet is the biggest research library in the world right now. I hope people will use it to try to find out what is really going on. The answers are there, you just have to seek them out!

Thank you Colin for your precious time, I really appreciated. Hope to see you in Lebanon sometime soon

Pictures: http://www.vilestench.com

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 19 users
01.06.2007 - 02:14
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Nice...I knew Colin had a major part in the band, but I didn't know that he wrote everything. I actually met him after a show last year and he's a pretty cool guy.
01.06.2007 - 03:53
Stigmatized
Good interview, good band.
01.06.2007 - 04:03
Megad3th
Sick Minded
this is one of my best interviews. this band just kicks ass .. and specially Colin .. this guy is the most funniest man and one of the greatest musicians.
17.01.2011 - 14:43
JD
Account deleted
I hope Muslims will not be offended by the lyrics on our latest album. And like I said earlier, I was fooled like many Americans about the nature of these wars in the middle-east

What a nice words, thanks to Megad3th for doing this interview, it was very interesting to read..
21.01.2011 - 02:04
Megad3th
Sick Minded
Written by Guest on 17.01.2011 at 14:43

I hope Muslims will not be offended by the lyrics on our latest album. And like I said earlier, I was fooled like many Americans about the nature of these wars in the middle-east

What a nice words, thanks to Megad3th for doing this interview, it was very interesting to read..

Glad you like it man .... I miss this band, been ages with no updates.

Cheers from Beirut, Lebanon.
21.01.2011 - 12:28
JD
Account deleted
Written by Megad3th on 21.01.2011 at 02:04

Glad you like it man .... I miss this band, been ages with no updates.

Cheers from Beirut, Lebanon.

Am sure they are planning to record a new Br00tal album later in this year, if NOT i guess the next year then

And again thanks for this interview!

Hits total: 6127 | This month: 7