11. I Am The Beast

Additional info
Engineered and mixed by Seth Manchester at Machines With Magnets
Mastered by Heba Kadry

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
N/A
Metal has been dealing with violence, revenge and religious imagery for a long while, but it is actually an industrial neoclassical darkwave that really touches these subjects in a way that you cannot escape.

Read more ››
published 23.08.2019 | Comments (6)

Found in 13 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 74   Visited by: 236 users
22.05.2019 - 15:05
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Feminist revenge music, I hope its even more weird than the last one, and more black parts.

21.07.2019 - 08:20
Rating: 9
Lord Slothrop

An amazing release. Lots of interesting and bizarre sounds to digest here, as if Diamanda Galas had a proclivity towards metal. Minus the insane octave changes, of course.
31.07.2019 - 19:11
Nicko's Nose

Definitely a contender for AOTY.
23.08.2019 - 17:39
mz

Didnt know she had a new album. Sounds amazing (and less harsh than before).
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
25.08.2019 - 17:05
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
No music here folks. Avoid. This stuff is just bad. I gave it a few spins trying to find a reason why this artist is so hyped these days but this is mostly edgelord material. Probably most people have a tendency to be sympathetic with her due to her dramatic situations she has been through (the review done here underlines it even), but there is no redeeming musical quality in this record. Minimalist for the sake of it, ugly for the sake of it, it tries to be overtly emotional but in the end falls flat as the music is of low quality. Some tracks feel like somebody having a mental breakdown on ambient music. Had it been a man making this shit up it would've went beyond the radar. Since it is a woman with tragic past, it attracted many flies.

Bottom line is, if you like music where a gal has a mental breakdown on ambient music in a studio, going from whispering to screaming, then this is for you. If not, best avoid.
25.08.2019 - 17:23
Mercurial

I don't know anything about her outside the cover art, but the music is quite good. I recommend people give it a go.
25.08.2019 - 17:31
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 25.08.2019 at 17:05

No music here folks. Avoid. This stuff is just bad. I gave it a few spins trying to find a reason why this artist is so hyped these days but this is mostly edgelord material. Probably most people have a tendency to be sympathetic with her due to her dramatic situations she has been through (the review done here underlines it even), but there is no redeeming musical quality in this record. Minimalist for the sake of it, ugly for the sake of it, it tries to be overtly emotional but in the end falls flat as the music is of low quality. Some tracks feel like somebody having a mental breakdown on ambient music. Had it been a man making this shit up it would've went beyond the radar. Since it is a woman with tragic past, it attracted many flies.

Bottom line is, if you like music where a gal has a mental breakdown on ambient music in a studio, going from whispering to screaming, then this is for you. If not, best avoid.

Wow, this has to be the worst opinion I've read today
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
25.08.2019 - 21:58
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by RaduP on 25.08.2019 at 17:31

Wow, this has to be the worst opinion I've read today

Shit happens I still try to understand if this album is liked for its music or for non-musical related reasons. I tend to think it is the latter but who knows. Probably my plebish ears don't wanna let me enjoy such advanced, exquisite, complex and entertaining (NOT) musicianship. However I stand by my impression that, had it been a man making this album, it would've went beyond the radar. Since it is a one-woman project, with domestic abuse past experiences, this is fodder for hipsters. Sort of like Myrkur without the domestic abuse and her music actually having some redeeming qualities.
25.08.2019 - 23:20
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 25.08.2019 at 21:58

Shit happens I still try to understand if this album is liked for its music or for non-musical related reasons. I tend to think it is the latter but who knows. Probably my plebish ears don't wanna let me enjoy such advanced, exquisite, complex and entertaining (NOT) musicianship. However I stand by my impression that, had it been a man making this album, it would've went beyond the radar. Since it is a one-woman project, with domestic abuse past experiences, this is fodder for hipsters. Sort of like Myrkur without the domestic abuse and her music actually having some redeeming qualities.

I liked Lingua Ignota when I first heard All Bitches Die and was before I realized the themes and all that shit, so it's definitely not just pity fanship or whatever you think it is.
----
26.08.2019 - 19:17
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by RaduP on 25.08.2019 at 23:20

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 25.08.2019 at 21:58

I liked Lingua Ignota when I first heard All Bitches Die and was before I realized the themes and all that shit, so it's definitely not just pity fanship or whatever you think it is.

I am not contesting the fact that there is a core fanbase that actually likes this artist for the music, but I cannot justify the overall hype she is getting for so little. I also didn't mean you are among them. Every hipster band essentially has that 20% core that actually listens and genuinely likes their music. But the 80% rest aren't there for the music, mostly for trends and virtue signaling. Or for appearance's sake.

I took the liberty to check more opinions, reviews or comments from other fans and the majority tends to underline non-musical reasons when asked what they appreciate in this artist. Mostly her background and her lyrics pop up, which are non-musical related.
26.08.2019 - 19:28
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 26.08.2019 at 19:17

I am not contesting the fact that there is a core fanbase that actually likes this artist for the music, but I cannot justify the overall hype she is getting for so little. I also didn't mean you are among them. Every hipster band essentially has that 20% core that actually listens and genuinely likes their music. But the 80% rest aren't there for the music, mostly for trends and virtue signaling. Or for appearance's sake.

I took the liberty to check more opinions, reviews or comments from other fans and the majority tends to underline non-musical reasons when asked what they appreciate in this artist. Mostly her background and her lyrics pop up, which are non-musical related.

It might be due to the background and how well it has been transposed in her music that makes the album unique. Not everyday you see an album with these themes done so well.

Or virtue signaling. I'm sure it's the latter.
----
26.08.2019 - 19:44
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by RaduP on 26.08.2019 at 19:28

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 26.08.2019 at 19:17

It might be due to the background and how well it has been transposed in her music that makes the album unique. Not everyday you see an album with these themes done so well.

Or virtue signaling. I'm sure it's the latter.

No matter how well you transpose your emotions into music, if the music falls flat, the emotions do as well. The only emotion I felt while listening this album is hyped amateurism confused as complexity and pretentiousness. Haven't checked her other works, but if it is anything like this, ain't inclined to do so.
26.08.2019 - 20:02
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 26.08.2019 at 19:44

No matter how well you transpose your emotions into music, if the music falls flat, the emotions do as well. The only emotion I felt while listening this album is hyped amateurism confused as complexity and pretentiousness. Haven't checked her other works, but if it is anything like this, ain't inclined to do so.

That's just like your opinion man.
----
26.08.2019 - 21:17
mz

honestly this is pure projection. I love what she does regardless of her past, and many people who follow this band are the same. You can check the reaction that the band pharmakon gets here, which is kinda similar in style and does not have the history this band carries with itself. To say that people follow her out of sympathy neglects that some people do love industrial and noise music. This is oversimplfication.
honestly I find what she does amazing.
----
26.08.2019 - 21:19
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by RaduP on 26.08.2019 at 20:02

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 26.08.2019 at 19:44

That's just like your opinion man.

Of course. Never meant for it to be anything else.
26.08.2019 - 21:37
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by mz on 26.08.2019 at 21:17

honestly this is pure projection. I love what she does regardless of her past, and many people who follow this band are the same. You can check the reaction that the band pharmakon gets here, which is kinda similar in style and does not have the history this band carries with itself. To say that people follow her out of sympathy neglects that some people do love industrial and noise music. This is oversimplfication.
honestly I find what she does amazing.

To each his own. I don't find any redeeming musical quality in this artist. Like I explained to Radu, every hipster band/artist has that 20% core that genuinely listens and likes the music. Nothing wrong with that. But it is easy to see that the rest are people that are more interested in the non-musical side.

Not sure what you mean with Pharmakon. Compared to this artist, they are completely ignored here and on RYM they barely have half the ratings of this album and a much lower score. Haven't checked elsewhere for now.
26.08.2019 - 21:58
Mercurial

I don't know mate, you sound a little ill equipped to really judge the musical side. I personally wouldn't value your opinion of more experimental or noisy music as you really haven't provided any relevant critique (the "no music" argument being the pantheon of the inexperienced or heavily biased) and doubly so because you seem to project, as mz said, when it comes to female artists. It's hard to really take away an opinion on the music from what you wrote, as all I'm focused on is some fairly spurious appeal to emotion. Pretty conflicted. But that's jUST mY OpiNIon.
27.08.2019 - 11:49
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Mercurial on 26.08.2019 at 21:58

I don't know mate, you sound a little ill equipped to really judge the musical side. I personally wouldn't value your opinion of more experimental or noisy music as you really haven't provided any relevant critique (the "no music" argument being the pantheon of the inexperienced or heavily biased) and doubly so because you seem to project, as mz said, when it comes to female artists. It's hard to really take away an opinion on the music from what you wrote, as all I'm focused on is some fairly spurious appeal to emotion. Pretty conflicted. But that's jUST mY OpiNIon.

And who, based on your opinion, is well equipped to judge the musical side of this artist? Whether you value my opinion or not, that is your choice, that doesn't mean I will stop expressing it. The label for this music is pretty telling though. I have provided relevant critique. If it is too little for you, that is because there is hardly any musical value in this album to analyze. That's why most of those who comment about the 'music' actually focus on non-musical aspects, to fill in the void. Also, you are under the impression that an opinion should always be objective when in fact they always reflect the personal views of the person conveying it. In other words, it is inherently subjective. Just as you are biased towards liking this artist (for genuine reasons or not, I don't care), I am also biased towards not liking this artist. Common sense. While you see here musical quality, all I see are background sounds with a woman making all sorts of vocal diarrhea giving you the impression that she has done the recording in a mental asylum. Both of our views are subjective.

Ow, do bless my plebbish ears with your experienced and heavily objective argument about this artist. Sorry, but the way you speak is the way hipsters try to explain why they like their own music with pretentious labeling. As for my prejudice against female artists, that is a given. The politically correct music press for years has promoted all-female bands, one-women solo projects or female-fronted bands under the guise of women empowerment movement. They essentially view metal as misogynistic, just because men shaped it and are the overall demographic (both as musicians and as fan base), disregarding the merits and the obvious contributions they brought to the development of music in general. Not saying women did not contribute anything, but they have always been at the outskirts of this genre (and of others as well). The reason why the female demographic has increased recently is because metal has become more poppy and commercial, thus more accessible to the female public. The music industry and the press knows this, that is why more and more female-fronted bands, all-female bands or one-woman led solo musical projects have increased, both in numbers and in exposure. Even some bands know this, thus the reason why many choose one or more women as part of the band, be it as a vocalist, keyboardist, or any other instrumentalist. Not saying all of them are there just because they are women, just saying that women in a band are a catalyst for more exposure and opening up a band to a larger potential fan base.

And I don't see why people get so inflamed about the idea that if a man had been behind this, he would have went under the radar. That's just how the current culture works, more focused on identity politics (even in music) rather than meritocracy regardless of gender. And not just now, but ever since human society has existed, just that today this is part of a political movement and ideology which affects all domains of life.
27.08.2019 - 12:09
Vombatus
Potorro
We're gonna have to start running artist background checks before listening to an album. Can't stand liking an album that doesn't fit my world view. THE HORROR!
27.08.2019 - 13:06
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Vombatus on 27.08.2019 at 12:09

We're gonna have to start running artist background checks before listening to an album. Can't stand liking an album that doesn't fit my world view. THE HORROR!

Nice one. Had it been like this, I wouldn't have listened Behemoth or Ministry, considering that the people behind it and their ideas are totally opposite to my worldview. But keep being butthurt. And the horror, I actually consider Al a musical genius. Despite being a Castro-loving communist and a pro-Antifa supporter.
27.08.2019 - 13:18
Mercurial

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.08.2019 at 11:49

And who, based on your opinion, is well equipped to judge the musical side of this artist? Whether you value my opinion or not, that is your choice, that doesn't mean I will stop expressing it. The label for this music is pretty telling though. I have provided relevant critique. If it is too little for you, that is because there is hardly any musical value in this album to analyze. That's why most of those who comment about the 'music' actually focus on non-musical aspects, to fill in the void. Also, you are under the impression that an opinion should always be objective when in fact they always reflect the personal views of the person conveying it. In other words, it is inherently subjective. Just as you are biased towards liking this artist (for genuine reasons or not, I don't care), I am also biased towards not liking this artist. Common sense. While you see here musical quality, all I see are background sounds with a woman making all sorts of vocal diarrhea giving you the impression that she has done the recording in a mental asylum. Both of our views are subjective.

Oof, not sure why you've fallen into the subjective / objective minutiae. I never implied objectivity when critiquing, merely the value of the opinion marred by emotional or political factors. Bias is always implied in some regard, but an opinion on the music which is so clearly steeped in agenda, in combination with non-arguments (not "critique" for sure) like "this is not music" and "somebody having a mental breakdown on ambient music" and made-up, pre-emptively defensive "20%" statistic brush-offs to me is one of those red flags when someone wanders into a genre they're not familiar with, and in your case to me immediately implied that it was never really about the quality of music, but rather a way to trojan in (another) statement about females in music. I've no issue with commentary about that, but I often see opinions on things which are not actually about the thing it's really about. It reminds me a little of that legendary ponderer review for Enslaved; all about emotional appeal rather than musical opinion. So, that's why I don't value your opinion on the music, because it doesn't seem genuinely about the music. We all know who you are what you're about by now, you should just say what you really want to say without the silly prefacing Of course you are free to present yourself however you see fit, but some comments are like bubbles waiting to burst, and command poking, which I suspect is exactly what you wanted (hooray for me), hence your following paragraph.

Let's please not use the terms subjective and objective again though; it's truly the most facile musical discussion a person can have and I twitch whenever I see the terms these days.

Quote:
Ow, do bless my plebbish ears with your experienced and heavily objective argument about this artist. Sorry, but the way you speak is the way hipsters try to explain why they like their own music with pretentious labeling. As for my prejudice against female artists, that is a given. The politically correct music press for years has promoted all-female bands, one-women solo projects or female-fronted bands under the guise of women empowerment movement. They essentially view metal as misogynistic, just because men shaped it and are the overall demographic (both as musicians and as fan base), disregarding the merits and the obvious contributions they brought to the development of music in general. Not saying women did not contribute anything, but they have always been at the outskirts of this genre (and of others as well). The reason why the female demographic has increased recently is because metal has become more poppy and commercial, thus more accessible to the female public. The music industry and the press knows this, that is why more and more female-fronted bands, all-female bands or one-woman led solo musical projects have increased, both in numbers and in exposure. Even some bands know this, thus the reason why many choose one or more women as part of the band, be it as a vocalist, keyboardist, or any other instrumentalist. Not saying all of them are there just because they are women, just saying that women in a band are a catalyst for more exposure and opening up a band to a larger potential fan base.

And I don't see why people get so inflamed about the idea that if a man had been behind this, he would have went under the radar. That's just how the current culture works, more focused on identity politics (even in music) rather than meritocracy regardless of gender. And not just now, but ever since human society has existed, just that today this is part of a political movement and ideology which affects all domains of life.

The fact this paragraph is so analytically based is kinda what I meant about agenda wrapped in fake-critique. You've gone from the most base, substance free mini-review of the music to actual attempted intercourse The funny thing is on a fundamental level I don't disagree with some of the observations you've made: women in metal are favoured by journalists, but I see that more in tone with the "something aesthetically or externally different" nature of attention to music and metal. Musical popularity has little to do with quality, but often far more to do with image or novelty, so a metal band with a woman, or black person, or one of the now rather many gender identities that exist will always favour attention over the all male-power metal band doing 20 year old all-male power metal. I guess the difference to me is that I don't really care about that, I neither favour a feminist or empowerment angle in my music, nor am I bothered by it's existance. I don't feel especially threatened by bands like this. In this case I just happen to think it's quite good on the musical side, and I suspect that most people that like it too like it for the music in a genuine way. It seems dismissive and unsustainable to defer to "hipsterism" accusations that are difficult to prove, but I guess when it comes to music that is alien to a person it's more comfortable for said person to tar those that like something with indefensibles like that. OH WELL.

So yeah, what you think of the music here is a bit shit and is probably worth no one's attention, but at least you got the response you were angling for (like a lot of topics for you seem to be merely bridges for topical issues) and finally got to the meat, which at least might be worth discussing (although I'm fairly sure you've done this before with Mykyr whatever she's called etc. so this feels like retreading. Maybe you should just write an article).
27.08.2019 - 13:25
mz

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.08.2019 at 11:49

comment

I dont think anyone said you cant have opinion on this album. However, you mentioned that this a)lacks artistic merit and b) people pay attention to it just because it is a female fronted band. The problem, however, is that as far as I know, you are not someone who is into experimental and industrial side of music. To say that people like some album because of the people involved in its creation requires a knowledge of the genre that the album belongs to. I can say that a certain goregrind album is boring for me, but I would not claim that people who like it do so because of non-musical aspects, as I do not have a deep knowledge of the musical aspect of the genre to begin with.
also, good job mentioning that there are more female artists in metal now because it has gotten soft of poppy while arguing about this band, which is harsher and less accessible than 99% of male-fronted metal bands.
The fact that people talk about the non-musical aspects of this and the story behind it is that it is a rarity. There are not many bands having lyrics about this subject, which many people have empathy about. The music, however, would had been as amazing if she wanted to talk about zombies and rainbow.
If you want to see why someone would like this, consider the previous love many people have for bands such as elend, gnaw their tongues, pharmakon, and many early industrial bands. in the grand scheme of things, I'm not surprised to love her music given the musical influences and the sound she aims for.
----
27.08.2019 - 13:51
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by mz on 27.08.2019 at 13:25

I dont think anyone said you cant have opinion on this album. However, you mentioned that this a)lacks artistic merit and b) people pay attention to it just because it is a female fronted band. The problem, however, is that as far as I know, you are not someone who is into experimental and industrial side of music. To say that people like some album because of the people involved in its creation requires a knowledge of the genre that the album belongs to. I can say that a certain goregrind album is boring for me, but I would not claim that people who like it do so because of non-musical aspects, as I do not have a deep knowledge of the musical aspect of the genre to begin with.
also, good job mentioning that there are more female artists in metal now because it has gotten soft of poppy while arguing about this band, which is harsher and less accessible than 99% of male-fronted metal bands.
The fact that people talk about the non-musical aspects of this and the story behind it is that it is a rarity. There are not many bands having lyrics about this subject, which many people have empathy about. The music, however, would had been as amazing if she wanted to talk about zombies and rainbow.
If you want to see why someone would like this, consider the previous love many people have for bands such as elend, gnaw their tongues, pharmakon, and many early industrial bands. in the grand scheme of things, I'm not surprised to love her music given the musical influences and the sound she aims for.

Ok, if you say so. Just a few corrections. The fact that metal music has become more poppy, commercial and accessible has also led to a sharp drop in quality. And probably this is also the reason why metal fanbase has become more superficial. When you are being fed quantity instead of quality, it is becoming harder and harder to find quality, thus it is easier and more comfortable to be pleased with little.

This artist/album lacks artistic merit because there is no art behind it. It is the same like wrapping shit in tinfoil. You may be inclined to think chocolate is inside, but the smell gives it away. Also, the sudden popularity of this artist emerged not because of the music (there is none whatsoever), but her background as an artist. Just check the press. The Guardian wrote about her in April this year and the article underlines her circumstances and her political stances as well (i.e. feminism). Other interviews and articles of her have a central focus her past circumstances and her current views, music being sidelined.

Had it been a man, with a non-abusive past going all politically incorrect would The Guardian even bother covering him and his music? Heck, even a female with a non-abusive past, non-feminist take and going all politically incorrect would have went under the radar.
27.08.2019 - 14:02
Mercurial

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.08.2019 at 13:51

Ok, if you say so. Just a few corrections. The fact that metal music has become more poppy, commercial and accessible has also led to a sharp drop in quality. And probably this is also the reason why metal fanbase has become more superficial. When you are being fed quantity instead of quality, it is becoming harder and harder to find quality, thus it is easier and more comfortable to be pleased with little.

I find that music is generally better in the past 10 years than all the years before it. I have no issue finding good stuff. Calling the metalbase more "superifical" in itself sounds like a superficial argument, I don't know how one would go about ratifying that. It all just sounds like a lot of excuses to explain away personal misgivings or a sense of estrangement.

[EDIT]

I guess I'll expand on your point a little more because it invites more questions.

Metal hasn't become more poppy. What it has done is expand toward both extremes. A lot of metal has an extemity not found in older bands; the inclusion of noise, hyper-dissonance and other unpalatable elements is something specific to modern metal. Doom, black, death and others can be a hell of a lot more extreme than they used to be so I'd say your argument is somewhat void.

Also, the notion that preferring melodic or poppy music is more superficial is not something I can really get behind. A person can personally love their poppy power metal as I love my dissonant black metal, or maybe more. I think the idea of superficiality comes from this false notion of working for what you like or being in a niche: "I like dissonant black metal because I understand bleh bleh musical structures and flumph textures and grebebbenn tonality" etc. For me personal taste is just that: personal. People flocking to some of the poppier sides of metal doesn't to me engender a "superficial" tag, it just means they have taste which is easier to appeal to.

Quote:
This artist/album lacks artistic merit because there is no art behind it. It is the same like wrapping shit in tinfoil. You may be inclined to think chocolate is inside, but the smell gives it away. Also, the sudden popularity of this artist emerged not because of the music (there is none whatsoever), but her background as an artist. Just check the press. The Guardian wrote about her in April this year and the article underlines her circumstances and her political stances as well (i.e. feminism). Other interviews and articles of her have a central focus her past circumstances and her current views, music being sidelined.

Once again, colourful metaphor is no substitute for quality observation and critique

Also, what do you expect a journalistic article to write about? The existence of history documentation of the artist does not preclude anything. A Guardian article is hardly going to talk about things the way Metal Storm or MA would given its readership.

Quote:
Had it been a man, with a non-abusive past going all politically incorrect would The Guardian even bother covering him and his music? Heck, even a female with a non-abusive past, non-feminist take and going all politically incorrect would have went under the radar.

Who gives a shit though. Men aren't going to fade away because of a few articles about female musicians.
27.08.2019 - 14:13
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.08.2019 at 13:06

Nice one. Had it been like this, I wouldn't have listened Behemoth or Ministry, considering that the people behind it and their ideas are totally opposite to my worldview. But keep being butthurt. And the horror, I actually consider Al a musical genius. Despite being a Castro-loving communist and a pro-Antifa supporter.

Actually, I'm not even that much of a LI fan and this album is sort of meh (can appreciate the calmer parts). If some random person on the internet likes or not the album is quite irrelevant, so not really that butthurt to be honest.
My remark had a broader intention, rather that directed just to you even if you seem to focus on something that I consider to be a bit problematic nowadays.
Probably just a consequence of all the age of rage, internet pseudo-politics debate polarization, and virtue signaling SWJ bullshit, but there seems to be a trend that music should be enjoyed if a person has no issue with the artist behind. I'm not saying it is your case (could be with LI though), but it's quite evident that exterrnal factors to the music, particularly of political/moral nature, shape the opinion of people regarding a band to the point they will focus on those aspects to judge a musical product. BM and all the "it's NS!" witch-hunt is evidence enough. Just like you have wimps asking if they are allowed to like DSO because of Aspa, as if it was a requirement to preserve their pretended moral highground. Or disregarding other opinions based on an artist's background (as you appear to do here, with that doubtful 20%-80% stat). And this can go both ways (relevant point, as some may think it doesn't apply to them. They are too smart for that, obviously).
So yes, when I say we are going to have a run background checks it was more a cheeky joke but it is not too far from reality for some, given their inclination to throw non-musical arguments (and make it their main point) to form an opinion or decide if the album is suitable for the pleb that doesn't have their incredible hindsight. Bringing back the PMRC.
27.08.2019 - 14:16
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Mercurial on 27.08.2019 at 14:02

Who gives a shit though. Men aren't going to fade away because of a few articles about female musicians.

This is not about men fading away though. Never meant this. I just meant that had a man been behind that project, it would have went under the radar. Since the music has no redeeming value whatsoever, non-musical aspects were more taken into account when promoting her as an artist. And the fact that you make it into The Guardian, one of the most left-leaning media publications in the UK is telling. LI is popular because it fits the leftist agenda. She a victim? Ticked. Plays noise labeled as music, thus appearing sophisticated and pretentious? Ticked. Has an aura of mysteriousness? Ticket. Is a feminist? Ticked. Regurgitates leftist-leaning agenda? Ticked. The perfect vehicle for promotion. And the fact she made it into this publication is a great achievement. The Guardian's reach is far wider than any niche following a metal webzine or magazine.
27.08.2019 - 14:22
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Vombatus on 27.08.2019 at 14:13

Actually, I'm not even that much of a LI fan and this album is sort of meh (can appreciate the calmer parts). If some random person on the internet likes or not the album is quite irrelevant, so not really that butthurt to be honest.
My remark had a broader intention, rather that directed just to you even if you seem to focus on something that I consider to be a bit problematic nowadays.
Probably just a consequence of all the age of rage, internet pseudo-politics debate polarization, and virtue signaling SWJ bullshit, but there seems to be a trend that music should be enjoyed if a person has no issue with the artist behind. I'm not saying it is your case (could be with LI though), but it's quite evident that exterrnal factors to the music, particularly of political/moral nature, shape the opinion of people regarding a band to the point they will focus on those aspects to judge a musical product. BM and all the "it's NS!" witch-hunt is evidence enough. Just like you have wimps asking if they are allowed to like DSO because of Aspa, as if it was a requirement to preserve their pretended moral highground. Or disregarding other opinions based on an artist's background (as you appear to do here, with that doubtful 20%-80% stat). And this can go both ways (relevant point, as some may think it doesn't apply to them. They are too smart for that, obviously).
So yes, when I say we are going to have a run background checks it was more a cheeky joke but it is not too far from reality for some, given their inclination to throw non-musical arguments (and make it their main point) to form an opinion or decide if the album is suitable for the pleb that doesn't have their incredible hindsight. Bringing back the PMRC.

Ok, for the most part I agree with you. Also, I don't usually do background checks for musicians. I do that when I see an artist being hyped all of a sudden and I cannot explain the popularity obtained just through the music. Like in the case of LI. I went to check her background only AFTER I heard the album. And I do not promote anything alike PMRC. Against censorship in any way and form. We conservatives are already being censored pretty much everywhere so being pro-censorship would be hilarious. Also, the PMRC stunt kinda backfired as it only gave publicity and exposure to those affected by it.
27.08.2019 - 14:29
Mercurial

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 27.08.2019 at 14:16

This is not about men fading away though. Never meant this. I just meant that had a man been behind that project, it would have went under the radar. Since the music has no redeeming value whatsoever, non-musical aspects were more taken into account when promoting her as an artist. And the fact that you make it into The Guardian, one of the most left-leaning media publications in the UK is telling. LI is popular because it fits the leftist agenda. She a victim? Ticked. Plays noise labeled as music, thus appearing sophisticated and pretentious? Ticked. Has an aura of mysteriousness? Ticket. Is a feminist? Ticked. Regurgitates leftist-leaning agenda? Ticked. The perfect vehicle for promotion. And the fact she made it into this publication is a great achievement. The Guardian's reach is far wider than any niche following a metal webzine or magazine.

If the Guardian is fulfilling its premise then what's the issue really. They're not going to feature NSBM, or bog standard bands of any nature. Your argument is true, but it's also true that any boring normal band isn't going to get featured anywhere, or when they do it's probably more to do with luck or connections. There are fewer women in metal, therefore the oddity is always going to stand out. That's true across the board, beyond the women thing. Maybe one day women in metal will be ubiquitous, then female extreme bands won't get singled out, then you'll be happy
27.08.2019 - 14:32
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Will I be the first one to notice that the person who complains about metal being poppy and commercial is the one with the Kamelot profile pic?
----
27.08.2019 - 14:34
Mercurial

Written by RaduP on 27.08.2019 at 14:32

Will I be the first one to notice that the person who complains about metal being poppy and commercial is the one with the Kamelot profile pic?

Also highly rated Sabaton this year I try not to pick on such things but sometimes it's hard not to.

Hits total: 4771 | This month: 17