Metal Storm logo
Speed Metal

Original post

Posted by Judas, 01.06.2007 - 16:45
Speed Metal is a subgenre that I've really been enjoying lately. For those of you who don't know what it is, imagine a fusion between old-school Heavy Metal, early Thrash, and a stripped-down version of modern Power Metal. As the name suggests, it is characterised by its speed, with double bass drumming, lightning fast riffs that are melodic yet retain a lot of rawness, and ballsy vocals that break into powerscreams now and again.

Many bands have incorporated this style into their own sound, while others play or have played in a purely Speed Metal style. Some notable bands to check out are Exciter, Agent Steel, early Blind Guardian, early Helloween, and Rage. This particular subgenre had its heyday in the mid-to-late 80s, and has since died down after Thrash and Power Metal became big genres in their own right.

The purpose of this thread is to get your opinions on Speed Metal, on the various notable bands that play in this style or have major elements of it in their sound, on the reasons for its decline, and also to give general recommendations about stuff to check out. So, post away!
31.03.2009 - 00:45
Wyrd

Written by Guest on 31.03.2009 at 00:25

Written by Wyrd on 31.03.2009 at 00:10

Written by Guest on 31.03.2009 at 00:06

Written by Wyrd on 31.03.2009 at 00:00

Isn't Dragon Force speed metal?

I think it got that label just for having a beastly asian shredder.
Its power metal. Far to digital and clean to compare to the speed metal bands of yore imo.
But i digress. speed metal has been redefining itself so if people are gonna start calling DF
speed metal then all the power too em.

Then what bands are real speed metal?

Powermad is a prototypical example. If there was a speed metal formula Powermad would be it.
listen to a few of there tracks to use as a baseline then u oughta be able to figure urself what has
speed metal elements and what doesnt.

Again this is just one mans opinion.

Thanks man.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
31.03.2009 - 03:35
Lord_Regnier

Imo, speed metal is an old term that is obsolete today. It was used many years ago for bands like Slayer and Kreator.

Back then, we used the term melodic speed metal to label PM bands. However, not many PM bands nowadays can qualify themselves as melodic speed metal (Persuader and Stormwarrior are melodic speed metal, from my point of view). Fact is PM is in general much slower nowadays than it was until the mid 90s, not fast enough to be labeled as melodic speed metal. Personally, I use the term Power/speed metal to differentiate what I consider as 'real', pure PM (real metal, we might say), by opposition to stuff I find more commercial and mainstream (false metal).

As for pure speed metal (I mean non-melodic speed metal here), it falls under the Thrash metal catogory now.

Speed metal was a general term used for pretty much any kind of music that was uptempo during the 80s. We could say early Bathory was some form of speed metal back then, though it's obviously considered as old school blackened Thrash metal or Black Metal (depending on albums) for the standards we have today.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
13.01.2010 - 16:58
JÄY
Metal slave
I absolutely love this sub genre and i require more!

my faves:

agent steel - order of the illuminati
stormwarrior - northern rage
helstar - nosferatu
blind guardian - first 3
helloween - walls of jericho
annihilator - never, neverland (more thrash than speed)

any more i should check out?

p.s. quote my post please so i get a message alert

thanks!
13.01.2010 - 19:46
Charly546

Written by JÄY on 13.01.2010 at 16:58

my faves:

helstar - nosferatu
blind guardian - first 3

thanks!

Can I assume that you have checked out other albums by these bands as well (especially Helstar, Agent Steel). If not, then you might want to do that first.

Now for the suggestions.

Savage Grace. Both albums kick ass (but the first one is a bit speedier) and are the answer to the question: "What if Iron Maiden had been faster?"

Holy Terror. Featuring ex-Agent Steel guitarist, you know you're in for a treat.

Martyr (from Netherlands). Both albums, especially "For the Universe", are amazing. Fast, filled with energy and a dash of originality.

Mysto Dysto. Sheer intensity and incomparable originality. Get it.

Paradox (Ger). "Product of Imaginations" - speed metal in the vein of "Walls of Jericho", although a bit thrashier.

Riot. "Thundersteel". Speed metal kinda like "Defenders of The Faith"

Warhead (Bel). Both albums are quality speed metal. Rough, gritty and of course fast.

Also you might want to take a look to NWOBHM, where some bands were fast enough to be speed metal (Avenger, Raven, Atomkraft, Satan, Savage, Tysondog are the first ones to jump into my head), USPM (Liege Lord, Jag Panzer (first album), Vicious Rumors) and don't forget the German speed metal (I already mentioned Paradox, also check out Warrant, Angel Dust, Stranger and so on).

For more bands look around on Youtube (try to find users who are uploading older metal and then look what else they've got), read the "Heavy/Power/Speed metal help thread on Metal-Archives".
19.01.2010 - 16:45
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Charly546 on 13.01.2010 at 19:46

Written by JÄY on 13.01.2010 at 16:58

my faves:

helstar - nosferatu
blind guardian - first 3

thanks!

Can I assume that you have checked out other albums by these bands as well (especially Helstar, Agent Steel). If not, then you might want to do that first.

Now for the suggestions.

Savage Grace. Both albums kick ass (but the first one is a bit speedier) and are the answer to the question: "What if Iron Maiden had been faster?"

Holy Terror. Featuring ex-Agent Steel guitarist, you know you're in for a treat.

Martyr (from Netherlands). Both albums, especially "For the Universe", are amazing. Fast, filled with energy and a dash of originality.

Mysto Dysto. Sheer intensity and incomparable originality. Get it.

Paradox (Ger). "Product of Imaginations" - speed metal in the vein of "Walls of Jericho", although a bit thrashier.

Riot. "Thundersteel". Speed metal kinda like "Defenders of The Faith"

Warhead (Bel). Both albums are quality speed metal. Rough, gritty and of course fast.

Also you might want to take a look to NWOBHM, where some bands were fast enough to be speed metal (Avenger, Raven, Atomkraft, Satan, Savage, Tysondog are the first ones to jump into my head), USPM (Liege Lord, Jag Panzer (first album), Vicious Rumors) and don't forget the German speed metal (I already mentioned Paradox, also check out Warrant, Angel Dust, Stranger and so on).

For more bands look around on Youtube (try to find users who are uploading older metal and then look what else they've got), read the "Heavy/Power/Speed metal help thread on Metal-Archives".

shit, man, thank you!

youre the speed metal master
18.03.2011 - 21:57
marouco

Solitaire (Finland), Exciter(Canada), Striker(Canada)
19.03.2011 - 22:23
Tormentor666

I know these bands have already been mentioned, but I can't help making my own point:

Warrant - The Enforcer: German speed metal, quite thrashy at moments. Great album, for me it's a hidden and forgotten jewell.

Angel Dust - Two first albums. Again, German speed metal, if you enjoy the early Blind Guardian, Helloween, etc, you may like this. "To Dust You Will Decay" is probably my favourite album by them and a cult classic. Be careful with latter albums, because they turned into a modern power metal sound when they reunited in mid 90s.

Savage Grace - Just great!!!! Two masterpieces, the second album sounds more melodic to me than the first, but still great. Songs like "Bound to be Free" or "Tales of Mystery" are great big metal anthems to me.

About Paradox, for me they are a thrash metal band rather than a speed metal one. "Product of Imagination" is great, but personally I prefer "Heresy", truly a masterpiece!!!!

Jag Panzer - I'm a big fan of this band, enjoy almost all their albums, but the best one for me is their very first, "Ample Destruction" (my avatar proves it haha), 80s pure and aggressive US metal. Then they turned to a more melodic sound, but albums such as "Chain of Command" or "Thane to the Throne" are a must!

Manilla Road - They are a very versatile band, you can find heavy, epic and speed metal in their albums. "Mystification" is truly a speed metal album, and a great one, I have to say!! Quite aggressive and with a very thrashy guitar work.

Muro - A Spanish cult band, their "Telón de Acero" album is a must in my opinion! Pure speed metal.

As has been said, Striker from Canada are great as hell. Their only album kicks some serious ass, but you may try their EP "Road Warrior" aswell.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
29.12.2012 - 12:17
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Anyone who hasn't already should check out Tremonti's album, "All I Was". If you like speed/heavy metal, you may enjoy this album.
----
06.04.2022 - 08:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Vulture posted such updates about upcoming shows:

After dodging if for two years now, Covid finally found it's way into our ranks. Mathis just got tested positive and therefore won't be able to perform Blast From The Past Festival next week.
Since we got the best mates ever, we'll still be able to play. Marvin Kiefer ( Blizzen and Lynx) and Lukas Huybrechts ( Bütcher) will help us out. Cheers to you, guys! No chance to rehearse, though! Bear with us!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=391631396258335&set=a.131921112229366
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.05.2022 - 11:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Those who are looking similar bands as Motörhead, I suggest Asomvel. Its 3 men, bass, vocals done by Ralph Robinsson who is son to guitaristy Lenny Robinson. Drummer
Jani Pasanen left weeks ago, like I said classic motorhead vibes there.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.05.2022 - 15:57
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Bad English on 18.05.2022 at 11:28

Those who are looking similar bands as Motörhead, I suggest Asomvel.

I've been going on a Motörhead spree as of late, so I will probably check these out at some point
25.10.2022 - 05:48
Megamike

Check out Uysses Siren. great band originally started out from 1983. Split up for a while now while releasing a few demo's and stuff along the way.
----
http://www.braingell.com Tune in "Live" every Saturday night 9pm-12am (EST) The best in Thrash , Death and Speed Metal!