Metal Storm logo
Speed Metal

Original post

Posted by Judas, 01.06.2007 - 16:45
Speed Metal is a subgenre that I've really been enjoying lately. For those of you who don't know what it is, imagine a fusion between old-school Heavy Metal, early Thrash, and a stripped-down version of modern Power Metal. As the name suggests, it is characterised by its speed, with double bass drumming, lightning fast riffs that are melodic yet retain a lot of rawness, and ballsy vocals that break into powerscreams now and again.

Many bands have incorporated this style into their own sound, while others play or have played in a purely Speed Metal style. Some notable bands to check out are Exciter, Agent Steel, early Blind Guardian, early Helloween, and Rage. This particular subgenre had its heyday in the mid-to-late 80s, and has since died down after Thrash and Power Metal became big genres in their own right.

The purpose of this thread is to get your opinions on Speed Metal, on the various notable bands that play in this style or have major elements of it in their sound, on the reasons for its decline, and also to give general recommendations about stuff to check out. So, post away!
07.03.2008 - 11:46
MATBARLOW
Account deleted
OK I wait:-).MMD den tha pas?
20.07.2008 - 02:33
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
In the past few days i've been hearing "Heresy" by Paradox and i'm really impressed with this album. Fast, melodic and the solos are amazing. I absolutely recommend this, excellent material.

EDIT: Hehe, i just found it in a national online music store and i'm looking forward to buy it.
20.07.2008 - 12:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Unconsecrated on 20.07.2008 at 02:33

In the past few days i've been hearing "Heresy" by Paradox and i'm really impressed with this album. Fast, melodic and the solos are amazing. I absolutely recommend this, excellent material.

EDIT: Hehe, i just found it in a national online music store and i'm looking forward to buy it.

If you can try ''Product Of Imagination'' damn if I can find it soemwhere online
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.07.2008 - 14:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i don't think they count as pure Speed Metal(they're kind of like pre-black metal or something lol, imagine Venom with black metal vocals and a much better sound), but i like Witchery, especially their covers of Priest's Riding on the Wind and Sabbath's Neon Knights, very fast and energic.
20.07.2008 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 20.07.2008 at 14:08

i don't think they count as pure Speed Metal(they're kind of like pre-black metal or something lol, imagine Venom with black metal vocals and a much better sound), but i like Witchery, especially their covers of Priest's Riding on the Wind and Sabbath's Neon Knights, very fast and energic.

Venom counts BM because that time it was something new but musicaly its some speed and maybe lil thrash
----

apos;'
[image]
25.07.2008 - 19:57
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Bad English on 20.07.2008 at 12:45

If you can try ''Product Of Imagination'' damn if I can find it soemwhere online

Found it in the same store!
14.08.2008 - 23:30
takewarning

Check out 'Rational eyes' by Threat Signal, excellent speed throughout the whole track.
21.08.2008 - 04:34
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Has someone ever heard Oliver Magnum self-titled? It's the only album they released in their career. I think it's a pleasant listen so check them out!
21.08.2008 - 16:18
Elio
Red Nightmare

wow man that album is really good
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.08.2008 - 22:57
Charly546

Uhh... How is speed metal a stripped down version of modern, European style power metal? Shouldn't it be the other way around? (EPM is a stripped-down version of speed metal)
21.08.2008 - 23:11
Hellish Star

Written by Unconsecrated on 21.08.2008 at 04:34

Has someone ever heard Oliver Magnum self-titled? It's the only album they released in their career. I think it's a pleasant listen so check them out!

It is a killer album. One of the best US power metal albums ever released.

Actually they also released the "Drive by" EP, only to find on cd when you can get the Drive by / Necessary evil split CD.

This singer joined a band called FORTE afterwards. After 4 albums they disbanded but nowadays they nactive again and they will appear at the next KEEP IT TRUE FESTIVAL.
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
22.08.2008 - 00:02
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Hellish Star on 21.08.2008 at 23:11

Actually they also released the "Drive by" EP, only to find on cd when you can get the Drive by / Necessary evil split CD.

This singer joined a band called FORTE afterwards. After 4 albums they disbanded but nowadays they nactive again and they will appear at the next KEEP IT TRUE FESTIVAL.

Do you have a favorite album from "Forte"? Now i'm curious about it.
Another band worth mentioning here is Abattoir! Vicious Attack kills! The problem about this album is the length, too short imo. Didn't listen to "The Only Safe Place" though.

EDIT: Forgot to say that the "Ace Of Spades" cover in Vicious Attack is pretty cool!
22.08.2008 - 01:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Any album that truly defines Speed Metal, please?
----
22.08.2008 - 01:39
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Warman on 22.08.2008 at 01:34

Any album that truly defines Speed Metal, please?

Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse. For example.
22.08.2008 - 09:27
Hellish Star

Written by Unconsecrated on 22.08.2008 at 00:02

Written by Hellish Star on 21.08.2008 at 23:11

Do you have a favorite album from "Forte"? Now i'm curious about it.
Another band worth mentioning here is Abattoir! Vicious Attack kills! The problem about this album is the length, too short imo. Didn't listen to "The Only Safe Place" though.

EDIT: Forgot to say that the "Ace Of Spades" cover in Vicious Attack is pretty cool!

The debut album of Forté is still the best to me. You can find albums of Forté on ebay... Their history can be checked at www.bnrmetal.com
----

22.08.2008 - 16:19
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Thanks Hellish Star! I don't order products out of my country, my parents think that by ordering i can be in some kind of trouble.
22.08.2008 - 19:39
Hellish Star

Written by Unconsecrated on 22.08.2008 at 16:19

Thanks Hellish Star! I don't order products out of my country, my parents think that by ordering i can be in some kind of trouble.

No you can't.... I have bought almost 150 CD's from Germany and I never had any problem... But you have to pay them anyway
----

22.08.2008 - 20:21
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Hellish Star on 22.08.2008 at 19:39

Written by Unconsecrated on 22.08.2008 at 16:19

No you can't.... I have bought almost 150 CD's from Germany and I never had any problem... But you have to pay them anyway

What i said in my previous post is what my parents think. Of course that if they let me, i would buy the cds! But without permission there is no money either. That's the problem. They don't let me work too so i'm completely dependent on my parents.
26.08.2008 - 21:48
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
early Blind Guardian KILLED. absolutely destroyed. i much more would have approved of them as a whole if they had stayed with their thrash metal roots instead of their present Lord of the Rings/Rock Opera/Video Game music style nowadays.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.08.2008 - 02:50
Iron Priest

Cacophony rocks. some neo-classical influences to be sure.

Marty Freidman
Jason Becker

My choices: The Ninja, Concerto, Speed Metal Symphony
28.08.2008 - 15:29
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Iron Priest on 28.08.2008 at 02:50

Marty Freidman
Jason Becker

This band is awesome.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.08.2008 - 17:08
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Elio on 28.08.2008 at 15:29

Written by Iron Priest on 28.08.2008 at 02:50

Marty Freidman
Jason Becker

This band is awesome.

Total wankfest, but there's no denying that it's really cool.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
30.03.2009 - 11:12
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted

I had always considered speed metal to be a long gone genre. Sure you can make arguments that certain bands could
be classified as speed metal but they only would have been classified as that way back in the days of yester-year. And my
memory might be a little foggy but i had always gathered that speed metal back in the day was like the middle ground between
the burgeoning genre's of power and thrash and that with the decline of speed metal most bands drifted to one or the other.

But this is just one fellows opinion. if its time to dredge the term "Speed Metal" back into the limelight then I'll be at the next
possible Blind Guardian show with Lucifer's Heritage gear.
30.03.2009 - 14:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.03.2009 at 11:12

I had always considered speed metal to be a long gone genre. Sure you can make arguments that certain bands could
be classified as speed metal but they only would have been classified as that way back in the days of yester-year. And my
memory might be a little foggy but i had always gathered that speed metal back in the day was like the middle ground between
the burgeoning genre's of power and thrash and that with the decline of speed metal most bands drifted to one or the other.

But this is just one fellows opinion. if its time to dredge the term "Speed Metal" back into the limelight then I'll be at the next

One of best psot ever about speed metal, its gone because nowdays it dont sounds how in 80;s and Blind Guardian in LF times its best example ever about speed metal
----

apos;'
[image]
30.03.2009 - 23:52
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 30.03.2009 at 14:48

Written by Guest on 30.03.2009 at 11:12

One of best psot ever about speed metal, its gone because nowdays it dont sounds how in 80;s and Blind Guardian in LF times its best example ever about speed metal

Ya. Im not saying it couldnt happen. In all likelyhood if interest keeps picking up someone might decide to roll a traditional
speed band. It would be nice to see someone pick up the old 3-man band format.

Puts a smile on my face thinkin bout that
31.03.2009 - 00:00
Wyrd

Isn't Dragon Force speed metal?
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
31.03.2009 - 00:06
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
Written by Wyrd on 31.03.2009 at 00:00

I think it got that label just for having a beastly asian shredder.
Its power metal. Far to digital and clean to compare to the speed metal bands of yore imo.
But i digress. speed metal has been redefining itself so if people are gonna start calling DF
speed metal then all the power too em.
31.03.2009 - 00:10
Wyrd

Written by Guest on 31.03.2009 at 00:06

Its power metal. Far to digital and clean to compare to the speed metal bands of yore imo.
But i digress. speed metal has been redefining itself so if people are gonna start calling DF

Then what bands are real speed metal?
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
31.03.2009 - 00:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Wyrd on 31.03.2009 at 00:10

Blind Guardian, MP, Trust, Risk, Muro ...
You shood understand there aint no speed metal like genre, it van be speed whit power like Helloween(old), Agent Steel, like nspeed whit more thrash sound Anthrax old , Acid, Angel Dust etc

hope it helped
----

apos;'
[image]
31.03.2009 - 00:25
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
Written by Wyrd on 31.03.2009 at 00:10

Powermad is a prototypical example. If there was a speed metal formula Powermad would be it.
listen to a few of there tracks to use as a baseline then u oughta be able to figure urself what has
speed metal elements and what doesnt.

Again this is just one mans opinion.