09. Vendetta
10. The Devil Walks Alone
11. Dead Man's Eyes
12. Crash Bang Crash
13. Screaming Eagles [Ltd. European edition bonus]
14. Borderline [Ltd. European edition bonus]
15. Man A King Ruler [Japanese edition bonus]
16. Platchet Soldat [Russian edition bonus]

After a really bad album (the infamous "Mission N° X") Udo Dirkschneider and his personal combo had to react seriously. Honestly, the previous album was a joke and a bad one and all the fans of the great Udo and the one of Accept, were really disappointed by this release. But Udo is a real Metalhead this kind of guys who knows how to change things when they're bad. It's done with "Mastercutor" the new release of the German combo which is clearly better than "Mission N° X" and that's a good news really.

Don't expect anything new here; we're in front of a classic German Heavy Metal. Strong riff, catchy choruses and guitars soli in addition of the "special" and aggressive voice of Mr Udo, that's the recipe of this new album. And even if it can look a bit out of date, it works and "Mastercutor" features some good songs like "Mastercutor" or "The Wrong Side Of Midnight". But the good thing with this new release is that we have strong and heavy songs and sometime we're not so far away of German Thrash. "Walker In The Dark" or "Vendetta" are a lot more aggressive and heavier and even if it's not Kreator, it's good to see that Udo can still write songs in the vein of "Sick Dirty And Mean".

For the production, "Mastercutor" is just perfect. Well, it's hard that's right to find bad productions when it comes to the German releases but this album follow this trend and if you like to listen to crystal clean sound it will be for you. On the other hand if the production is perfect, I cannot say that the originality is here and that's the main problem of the album. If you like Accept or Udo and don't want anything else you can go for this one but if you need something new, then you'll have to run away to find a better release. It's just classic as hell and definitely not surprising.

Nobody was expecting something new with this release? and for sure we don't have anything new here but when you know the previous album of the combo, God it's just different like the day and the night. Udo is not dead yet, and it's good to see that he still can do good music. I will never talk about genius here but if you like German Metal, "Mastercutor" is probably for you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 04.06.2007

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 48 users
04.06.2007 - 14:06
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Good review . And thanks for your observations about this new album.

And yes U.D.O. is not dead, a good thing. I like this "Mastercutor", carrying the real signature of the band. An attractive reversal as have said Jeff.

Samples of this album can be listened on their website's player here. Enjoy.
08.06.2007 - 17:03
hottercraft

Good review and good album!! I like a lot some songs, specially "The Wrong Side Of Midnight", but the CD is awesome!!
13.06.2007 - 23:09
Rating: 7
Vykintas

I quite like this album, but I also liked the last one. I don't understand why others don't like it...
01.09.2007 - 01:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Since here ar eno tread about band, I post it here, new video are online from this band it calls'Wrong Side Of Midnight' you can watch it http://www.udo-online.de/HTM/MULTIMEDIA.htm
Alos sampels of album are online in home page and read news section about best of album
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.05.2011 - 22:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Pedantic i know, but Udo didn't write "Sick, Dirty and Mean", it was *at least mostly* written, as nearly all Accept songs (including all the album Animal House btw), by Wolf Hoffman and Peter Baltes (music) and Gaby Hauke aka Deaffy (lyrics).

anyway i've yet to hear the whole album but definitely this has some great stuff on, another epic slice of heavy metal.

Hits total: 8636 | This month: 10